Mr. Donaldson - R.I.P. 10/15/2014

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Vinny, what is the agenda for Saturday? Just learned I will probably need to be back home in jax by 6:00 pm latest.

Ashley
Will be posting the itinerary for the ride sometime today or tomorrow... want to get as much information to all concerned...

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Does anyone have a space in a campsite available? Or will I be able to throw up my tent in an available space? I guess it depends on how strict the campsite is.

Please let me know if you have an extra spot on your site.

Edit - Sharing a spot with Uncle Phil. Thanks, Phil!

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Couple of things right off the bat… bug spray and kickstand pucks! When I first arrived at the St. JosephPeninsula state Park, there was a nice gulf breeze blowing… felt very good,pitched the tent to capture a cross breeze. When I returned after scouting some eating establishments, it was deadcalm and the bugs were starting to eat me up. Of course it might have something to do with the sweet smelling “Caress”soap I grabbed out of the linen closet when packing… whatever, I have no bugspray! And the second thing, the seeminglyhard packed surface as it appears from the pavement, is soft sand with a thincrust… will not support the weightof the bike on the side stand alone without apuck… so be aware! I think all thecampsites have power, mine does, so if you have room, might want to pack asmall fan and an extension cord to run it and charge the techno gadgets youdepend on. The sites all have a picnic tablefire ring, and water also.
Food: This is typicallaid back Florida atmosphere… lots of small towns with quaint little eatingjoints (interpret… informal). For aserious breakfast, you gonna have to go into Port St. Joe for a good countrysit-down breakfast. The locals havesteered me to “Sisters” in Port. St. Joe on Reid Ave. for a great country breakfast at a very reasonableprice…. There is a “Marathon” gasstation and convenience store about 3 miles outside of the gate of the parkwhich has a little deli area. They havebiscuits with some traditional breakfast meats, eggs, etc. They open at 6:30 am. Port St. Joe has a few of the well known fastfood places also. Another spot thelocals informed me was Sharon’s Caf? in Mexico Beach if you want to travel thatfar. The Piggly Wiggly grocery store intown is said to have a deli with breakfast fare also. Restaurant called “The Port Inn” has a breakfast buffet for about $7.00.
For lunch and dinner, there are several establishments alongthe main road to the park. Cone Heads isjust outside the gate and serves grill type items, sandwiches, draft beer andice cream. Stopped in there to grab abite… it was small, very busy, but the food was good. Don’t think it would work for the entiregroup to stop in for lunch before heading out… just saying. There is a place called “The Sand Bucket”. I stopped in there and forgot to get a copy ofthe menu, but it is a nice place that serves grilled items and seafood. A placebetween Cape San Blas Rd and Port St. Joe is “Triple Tales” a nice littleseafood restaurant located adjacent to a fresh seafood market. Of course, again there are several of thenationally known fast food places.
The agenda:
Friday:
For the early arrivals (arriving Thursday) And any folksshowing up early Friday morning… we will be visiting the “Army Aviation Museum”at Fort Rucker, Alabama. Bob was trainedto fly Helicopters there and later in his career spent some time as a leadingofficer in charge of helicopter maintenance (I think). Will be leaving the state park at 7:15 am andriding to “Sisters” restaurant in Port St. Joe. Kick Stands up at 9:00 after breakfast and depart for Fort Rucker. Weshould arrive just before 12:00 pm EST. Will visit the museum until all are satisfied,catch lunch (to be determined) Selection is poor at best in Fort Rucker… Ride back to State Park and arrive sometimebetween 5:30 and 6:00.
Saturday: Will be upto each individual to arrange their own breakfast. The official agenda will be: 10:00 am, gather at the beach opposite “EagleHarbor” (located in the park) for a memorial “get together”….. Members of Bob’sfamily will be there. This will be avery informal time to honor Bob… Hisfamily will have some comments about Bob, and we encourage anyone who wouldlike to tell of their favorite moments spent with Bob to feel free and sharewith us all. Afterwards, we will gather at “The Sand Bucket” for lunchat 12:00 noon. Following lunch,approximately 1:30, we will have our “Official Memorial Ride” to nearby Apalachicolato the “Veterans Memorial Park”. It is about 30 miles from the state park andwe would like to stay together as a group… shouldn’t be too hard because theroads are mostly straight with few signals along the way. When we arrive, we will talk briefly aboutBob’s military career. Many of you maynot know, but the military was a huge part of Bob’s life he seldom talkedabout. After the comments, there will bea “Flag Setting” around the Three Soldiers statute, a moment of silence, and “Taps”will be played on the Bugle. This willconclude the “Official” part of the memorial ride.
If there are enough folks who are still wanting to rideafter the memorial gathering, I will lead a ride down the coast a ways, if not,we can choose a pace to gather later for dinner or we can just go back to thepark and relax.
Sunday will be departure day…

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Hope you don't have much trouble reading the above post... when copied to the forum, the line spacing, letter spacing etc went south... sorry!

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Vinny, I won't be able to make the trip. But, just want to say I appreciate all you have done to organize this event. Your time and commitment to details is so very indicative of the members on this site. Safe riding to all making the trip.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Riding in from Baton Rouge on Friday so don't anticipate arriving at the State Park till 3:00pm

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the information and all your work in putting this together, Vinny!! Well done. It will be an honor to remember a fellow Veteran, especially one so well loved and respected in our riding community.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Vinny. I still hope to make this memorial for Bob even if it's a day ride only. Not sure if Brenda will give me an overnight pass by then.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Thanks Vinny. I still hope to make this memorial for Bob even if it's a day ride only. Not sure if Brenda will give me an overnight pass by then.
If you can't make it, Dave... we certainly understand. Hope Brenda continues to improve.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Thank you for the information and all your work put into this, Vinny...
Dinkie and I will probably arrive sometime on Friday... Hopefully early...

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
We all can't thank you enough, Tom. You've done a great job putting all this together. And I'm certain everyone here that knew Bob appreciates all the work and time you've invested. See on Friday.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I would like to mention that "Shuey" deserves some credit for getting this going.... he stepped up and got the ball rolling when it was first announced. Thanks Shuey!

Top Bottom