Mr. Donaldson - R.I.P. 10/15/2014

I have some thoughts about Friday, May 1st. Most of you know Bob was a military man... spent most of his career in the Army flying helicopters. He trained at Fort Rucker, Alabama. I was thinking it would be a nice ride (144 miles) from Port St. Joe to Fort Rucker and visit the Army Aviation museum to learn a little more and see the type of helicopters Bob flew. Would make a great day trip, a learning experience, and would honor Bob.
For the folks who plan on arriving on the 1st, maybe they could fashion their journey to meet at Fort Rucker and tour with us, then complete their journey to Cape San Blas with the rest of the group.

Thoughts, anyone?

Vinny,

That sounds like a great idea to me. I think that Bob's time in a chopper was as much of his life as his time on a motorcycle. Your idea would be a fitting tribute. I'm in.

That would be a nice tribute to Bob.
For those that did not know him, a little background. Bob did not start his service in choppers. He was not a pilot till he got a ride in a Huey one day while admiring one on the flight line. After that ride, he was hooked. The branch of service he was in did not offer pilots training so he served out his hitch and re-upped in another branch in order to get the training. Once he was a pilot he did multiple hitches to keep flying. I am sure I have some of this technically wrong, but the that is basically how I heard him tell it.

Sounds great Vinny. I'll do it even if I have to drive. I had originally thought about coming down on Thursday if I am able to ride. If I drive I may just meet you all at Fort Rucker and then drive "sweep " on the way back to Cape San Blas.

The branch of service he was in did not offer pilots training so he served out his hitch and re-upped in another branch in order to get the training.

Mac, you are correct. Bob did 8 years in the enlisted Air Force... while serving as an air frame electrician, he helped install a weapons system on an Army helicopter. The Coronal awarded him with a flight and an opportunity to "test" the weapons system... the rest is history, he was hooked!

Vinny, Looks like a great idea. In checking the map, looks like it will be right on my route. What time are you anticipating arrival?

Vinny, Looks like a great idea. In checking the map, looks like it will be right on my route. What time are you anticipating arrival?

If we leave Port St. Joe around 9:00 am, it should be just before 12 noon in Alabama. Thinking have lunch then tour the museum.

Are any campsites available to share? I signed up to camp but forgot to get a camp site and now I see they are all booked. Being a Vietnam Veteran myself I would really like to attend. Any still available for sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tom/Vinny, answer to your Question. Wire tyes=plastic 1's=harbor Freight. Use the same American flag we place on the graves.
Flags are 12 X 16 grave flags. I will have a few with me.

Does anyone have room for another tent? Looks like I have waited too long to reserve a site. My plan is to arrive Thursday and stay until Sunday.

Has anyone ever stayed at Indian Pass campground...bout 12 mi from T.H. Stone?....Doesn't look too great from the pics they post but its about the only place nearby that won't require pawning my scooter to get home...Comeback appreciated....Bill

If we leave Port St. Joe around 9:00 am, it should be just before 12 noon in Alabama. Thinking have lunch then tour the museum.
Vinny, I was just looking back on this post, and the thought occurred to me.....12:00 Noon....is that gonna be Fl time or Al time. Will you be crossing back into the CST zone in Alabama? Just wondering. I don't want to be late.

Will you be crossing back into the CST zone in Alabama?

Not exactly sure.... good point. We will work it off of EDST... splitting hairs. Fort Rucker is slightly west of Port St. Joe, and I'm not sure where that invisible line is. It is somewhere just west of the Georgia/Alabama line.

Checking the time zone map, looks like going into CST when at Fort. Rucker.

I believe this is correct. On I-10 the time zone changes when you cross the Apalachicola River. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law used to live in Dothan and they were in the Central Time Zone and Fort Rucker is a bit west of Dothan. I hope this helps.

Thanks Vinny, This is such an important event, I don't want to be late because of time zone changes. Now, if I can just remember, and that could be a challenge, I'll be there...on time I hope.

Thanks...John

Back
Top Bottom