Muffler piece stuck in exhaust pipe

Hi,

My right hand muffler (1) is broken (red line) just over the metal collar (8) that hold the exhaust pipe flange (6) tight to the muffler. A pièce of the muffler (piece below the red line) is stuck in the exhaust pipe flange with the gasket muffler (10). It is so stuck that can't pull it to the exhaust pipe.

Do you have a trick to pull it ?

Thank you
1569853251961.png

Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
Easy, remove clamp (8), use a hacksaw blade to slot the broken piece of exhaust pipe.
Once done, get hold of one side of the split with long-nose pliers and twist. Broken piece of exhaust should curl around pliers and come out.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Steve:

Have a look at this article: ST 1300 - Replacing Exhaust Gaskets. Although the article is about the ST 1300 exhaust system, not the 1100, it might give you some insight about exactly what that "piece of the muffler" you are having trouble with is. I kind of suspect that the part stuck inside your bike is part #10 in the diagram you posted - the gasket. My experience with my ST 1300 was that this gasket pretty much baked itself onto the exhaust system and didn't come out with the muffler when the muffler was removed.

It was not too difficult for me to dig it out with a pick & screwdriver, then clean the residue out of the pipe. Took a while and required "destroying" the gasket (which was not sealing well anyway), but it wasn't a killer job.

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
@ST1100GOLD suggested using a hacksaw blade. If in fact the stuck piece is metal, you should probably wrap half of the blade in tape to avoid cutting your hand should the blade grab. Alternatively, you can use one of those very narrow hack saws plumbers use to slice a piece of frozen pipe inside a fitting in order to remove the pipe. If the gasket is stuck, removing it will be much easier. IIRC, I spent around $20 for this part for my 1300.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
And try using some heat first, like a propane torch to help loosen things up. You could also try spraying it with some rust buster too. Then see if you can pry it off, little by little. Good luck !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hi,

Finally, I used a pneumatic cold chisel to cut the piece and used a wire brush on a drill to peel off all the gasket stuck in the exhaust. I would never have been able to remove this part without damaging it. I'm going to weld a 2-inch tube on the muffler and buy a new seal.

Thanks

Top Bottom