My battery loses charge every 3-4 days!

I have a brand new 2010 ST1300... I had the dealer install the Hondaline Top Box ordered from England this past Friday. By Sunday, my bike battery was toast. I jump started it and rode it for about 45 minutes and it seemed ok. When I got home, I put it on my battery tender and was pleased to see it green the next morning. I started the bike just to make sure the greed LED was telling the truth. It started fine. I then reconnected it to the tender and the LED will not budge out of RED. I have another tender on my Suzuki Bking and did the same thing... The LED went quickly back to solid green.

I'm guessing they installed a bad battery in my bike when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. The bike was a crated unit and one of the delays I had at the dealer the day of the sale was waiting for them to install a battery.

Does it sound like the battery is a bad unit to you guys, or is it more likely the Honda service tech installed the top box incorrectly? The stop light LED works fine on the box and doesn't have any lighting when the bike is off.

Thanks, Jerry

v8-7

Site Supporter
Go buy a multimeter !

You will need need it for anything electrical .

The one for $5 @ harbor freight is all you need .

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. You're right. The battery is kaput based on the dealer's test. At first, they said it was AOK and the mystery continued. I left the dealer to meet my wife. Parked the bike, went to start it... dead! Dealer had to send a truck to get me. Put it on a different tester, the one they use for their BMWs, battery was showing 10.7 volts, dead... So, I had to leave it there, because by this time, the technician for their Hondas had gone home... So, waiting on that and will have to return to Scottsdale for it some other time... Thank goodness my wife was there to get me home. I can't understand how two separate tests could be so different.

By the way, this might be of interest... Turns out the Top Box I ordered from England may not be a Hondaline product... the tech who says he's done alot of them, feels the box looks more like a Givi built for Honda. He felt the quality wasn't as high as a bonafide honda unit. I got mine from David Silver company... It was shocking that it took them 3 days to get the box from England to Arizona... but, slightly disappointing to hear it may be a knockoff... He said the lines are slightly different to what he recalls, the paint is mottled, unlike what he has seen in Honda stuff. It is what it is... cost alot, but the box seems serviceable so I won't complain. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll post this in a separate thread in the luggage section to see if I get any concurrence.

Top Bottom