My ST1300 GPS Mount

Hi @wldct2 .

The RBIS isn't a RAM product but used their hardware in its construction. The commercial version was sold by http://www.sporttouringgear.com/ but that site is dead. Here's a link to it from the Wayback Machine. https://web.archive.org/web/20150818164600/http://shop.sporttouringgear.com/RBIS-Triple-Ball-System-for-ST1300-HST13-RBIS-3.htm

In this thread I detail the parts and construction of a RBIS imitation I would build myself if I hadn't found one listed for sale by another member earlier in the year.

They do come up for sale on occasion and go fast. If you're comfortable with metal fabrication and have access to tools that can form a curve in a piece of aluminum bar stock this mount is 'easily' replicated.

In this thread @TXRoadRash details his construction which @RealST later critiques and then points to the spottouringgear.com site where they RBIS was sold. Long time members of this site are better able to explain the genesis of the RBIS, which I believe was first conceived for the Honda NT700.

The only unique part requiring fabrication is that bar of metal (aluminum recommended). The rest are readily sourced from RAM and other suppliers of quality fasteners.

Good luck!
Copy STRider. Thanks for the quick reply. I now recognize/ interpret how you got to the RBIS. IYO, if my desire is not permanently modify my ST for a similar shift system , and have a easily removable part(s) for/to another ST, would you recommend going with the Migsel or Bike-Quip products over the RBIS vector you have chosen? I ask this because I can see where I may have multiple ST’s in my portfolio as I explore ST ownership. I recognize cost is not a variable/consideration in my COA (choice of action).

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Copy STRider. Thanks for the quick reply. I now recognize/ interpret how you got to the RBIS. IYO, if my desire is not permanently modify my ST for a similar shift system , and have a easily removable part(s) for/to another ST, would you recommend going with the Migsel or Bike-Quip products over the RBIS vector you have chosen? I ask this because I can see where I may have multiple ST’s in my portfolio as I explore ST ownership. I recognize cost is not a variable/consideration in my COA (choice of action).
I think both the Migsel and the Bike-Quip offerings appear to be well made and would serve quite well as a RAM mount base for a GPS, action-cam or other device you might wish to support. Certainly they're a packaged solution with little work on your part other than the installation.

I'm quite happy with the specific options for device orientation that the RBIS affords. Both the Migsel and the Bike-Quip position their RAM balls extending back toward the rider from the dashboard whereas the RBIS places them on top of the dash, forward of its edge.

With a tankbag, and a cellphone mount on my MCL bar riser cover, I already find simply reaching in to turn the ignition key to be more cramped than I'd like. I could imagine that the Migsel and Bike-Quip would be worse than the RBIS in this regard even if you angled the RAM arm away from the rider. I would love for anyone with experience with both styles of mounts to add their opinion in this regard.

I see the pictures on both sites showing a GPS mounted and extended back toward the rider. I find such positioning more difficult to read at a glance with these aging eyeballs that don't focus on nearby objects like they used to. The difference in the distances to the instruments, GPS display and the road make it just that more fatiguing for me. The RBIS let's me position my GPS screen farther away than I think I would be possible with those others.

As for swapping between bikes... The Bike-Quip clearly shows the mounting blocks and screws they use to attach it. You could either order an extra set of blocks and screws from them so you can leave them in place on the bike not currently hosting the mount, or I suspect you could source the M6 screws and barrel nuts yourself for that same purpose. Then you'd semi-permanently be using screws instead of clips to secure the windshield inner cowl to the meter panel.

I think both the Migsel and the Bike-Quip offerings appear to be well made and would serve quite well as a RAM mount base for a GPS, action-cam or other device you might wish to support. Certainly they're a packaged solution with little work on your part other than the installation.

I'm quite happy with the specific options for device orientation that the RBIS affords. Both the Migsel and the Bike-Quip position their RAM balls extending back toward the rider from the dashboard whereas the RBIS places them on top of the dash, forward of its edge.

With a tankbag, and a cellphone mount on my MCL bar riser cover, I already find simply reaching in to turn the ignition key to be more cramped than I'd like. I could imagine that the Migsel and Bike-Quip would be worse than the RBIS in this regard even if you angled the RAM arm away from the rider. I would love for anyone with experience with both styles of mounts to add their opinion in this regard.

I see the pictures on both sites showing a GPS mounted and extended back toward the rider. I find such positioning more difficult to read at a glance with these aging eyeballs that don't focus on nearby objects like they used to. The difference in the distances to the instruments, GPS display and the road make it just that more fatiguing for me. The RBIS let's me position my GPS screen farther away than I think I would be possible with those others.

As for swapping between bikes... The Bike-Quip clearly shows the mounting blocks and screws they use to attach it. You could either order an extra set of blocks and screws from them so you can leave them in place on the bike not currently hosting the mount, or I suspect you could source the M6 screws and barrel nuts yourself for that same purpose. Then you'd semi-permanently be using screws instead of clips to secure the windshield inner cowl to the meter panel.
Copy all STRider! Great feedback; thanks for the quick reply. The Devil is in the details, and you provide many for me as new STvowner to factor as I optimize my COA. The government pays me to think this way w/30+ years in the military. Some (to include myself from Appalachia) call it brainwashing.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
One more thing to add @wldct2
At least with my cycle mods, I strive to be a minimalist - go with the least that does the job to my satisfaction. Those Migsel and Bike-Quip mounts are big hunks of aluminum to mount high on your dash compared the the RBIS. I'm sure they work great, but had I not found a RBIS for sale on this site I personally would've gone the route of building one myself.

Top Bottom