Near Miss Today

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Visibility obviously isn't the issue. I almost got t-boned in my marked police car when a retard not paying attention totally blew the light and came to a smoky screeching stop about 3/4 of the way through the intersection. I saw that he wasn't slowing as he approached the intersection, so I didn't proceed too far past the stop bar since I knew he was gonna run the red light......

The pic is not my cruiser, but one of ours that was auctioned off after it had run its service life. Not really my taste in customization, but it does show our bright color scheme!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Thanks for that McRider video. I’ve seen most of his, but some how I skipped this one until now. Watched it 3x in a row. Yes, I’m the guy in neutral looking at the light and traffic in my forward quarters—— till now. Actually last week I started stop light lane splitting when able.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Here in GA, they call that "reckless driving".
Its considered reckless driving here in VA too.......no HOV exceptions either. (Motorcycles are required to be allowed in any HOV lanes that get any federal funding-not really an exception, but the federal rule:)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
st1300
i have been in the same situation 2-3 times, and been able to get out of the way.
once i didnt, i was at a T junction and the taxi appriaching behind was braking, but a limp half foot brake, and his foot slipped.
i was on my wee 600 commutter, i landed on his bonet(hood) and the bike got slammed off into the junction, and flattened under a articulated lorry.
thankfully i never seen it coming and was a easy roll up a hood with minor injuries. biggest hit was my £600 lid was damaged.
he paid for bike and lid and a weekend break fir me and the wife as a sorry, out of his own pocket... rather than insurance... and minor (light broke) on truck.
he needed his licence and job more than involving the police. at least he sorted it. i have slipped my foot of a pedal myself, but never hit anything, it happens.
glad you found a gap.
cant see these auto brake devices picking up a bike anyway

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Well the traffic here is so insane, I think these lane splitting and HOV exceptionalism evolved to keep things moving.

“articulated lorry”....
I continue to be amazed that I’m still learning “English”.
Like going for a turn whilst having a butchers at the countryside, and hearing the shrapnel as I stroll.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The problem with "driver assist technology" is that it will make dumb people dumber. "Oh my car should have stopped itself......"
"Why am I in the ditch? my car was suppose to keep me in my lane!......"
"Sorry, not my fault that my car did not see your bike..."

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here in GA, they call that "reckless driving".
You know, ALL Motorcyclists/Bikes are always talking about "Educating the Masses on motorcycle awareness!" do they not? Then why is it that Kalifornia, ONE of the BIGGEST NANNY states of all, is the ONLY STATE in the Union to allow Lane Splitting?

I really think too many other Motorcyclists/Bikers in the other States that don't allow it, are really missing the mark!

I am LIVING PROOF that Lane Splitting is safe! I've been doing it now for OVER 47 years (commuting many of them with a total of over 500,000 miles of commuting) and have NEVER had an ACCIDENT due to Lane Splitting!

You just have to do it right! And I'll be the first to admit, 75% of the Lane Splitters I see in Kalifornia are NOT doing it right!

You guys in other States need to get on the ball and get your States to smarten up!

And DON'T give me the excuse that the Cagers here wouldn't allow it! It's all about education! Once those drivers are educated about Lane Splitting, you would be able to do it just like we do!

Motorcycle Lane Splitting Education here, is probably why those here, that don't do it right, get away with that for awhile, but it will usually catch up with them. :eek:

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Reading it now. Page 25 of 70. No lane splitting/ busting teaching yet. But I am getting to know who you are somewhat. Love the TPing of your bike. Run into writing errors, but nothing big.

Update: page 50. No busting tips yet
Good admonition on the value of riding gear

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Reading it now. Page 25 of 70. No lane splitting/ busting teaching yet. But I am getting to know who you are somewhat. Love the TPing of your bike. Run into writing errors, but nothing big.

Update: page 50. No busting tips yet
Good admonition on the value of riding gear

I wrote this before Lane Splitting (they often called it Lane Sharing, before the Law was passed.) became "Legal", and I really didn't devote that much to it, but maybe some day I'll update it! :think1:

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I think if you beefed it out in a few areas, you could go to an online publisher and sell it. Not many books in this genre I bet.

Http://www.lulu.com

I’m still smiling over your wife’s TP job on your bike.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think if you beefed it out in a few areas, you could go to an online publisher and sell it. Not many books in this genre I bet.

Http://www.lulu.com

I’m still smiling over your wife’s TP job on your bike.
:rofl1: Yeah, at the moment, I wasn't sure just what to think!

Feel free to send me any comments! :)

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
"When my wife rides with me, she hates the freeways, but she is just fine on surface streets, back country and mountain roads. What she doesn‟t realize (or refuses to believe) is that the surface streets and the back country and mountain roads are far more dangerous then freeways. And the reason for that is obvious; you have more directions for cars or critters to come at you on those types of roads then on a freeway or divided highway."

FINALLY SOME ONE ELSE GETS IT!!! I ride the interstate (freeways) as much as possible during commuting for exactly this reason!

Just finished your...errr...Book I guess. Good stuff man! I enjoyed it.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Like I said, it has never been "Proof Read", except by me. Not only that, that is really an old copy of it (2011 - I think), I did make an updated version, but I'm not sure just where the update is right now. :oops:

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
In my experience, city and suburban streets are more dangerous to motorcycles than highways due to the signals and driveways with drivers coming head on or sideways into the bikes path. Freeway dangers are more about lane changes, stop-go traffic or road fodder... like the ladder that was in the 210 freeway last weekend.

As for rural areas, id rather hit Bambi or Thumper than any vehicle.

Top Bottom