Need a bulk wire source for wiring in some farkles..What do you guys like?

Bike
1993 ST1100
While I have the plastic off for HL replacement,I'm going to install a long overdue Eastern Beaver fusebox and some farkles(aux lights,heated grips and power outlets) .What gauge wire should I use,and where do you guys source it from? I figure a 100' should be good,as I have a few other bikes in need of some add ons down the road..
Thanks!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Most auto stores sell "primary wire" in a 100 ft roll. 18 gauge should work for most farkles. You might want 2 rolls (one black, onne red)

Cycleterminal.com has nice kits with commonly used OEM style connectors if you want to keep things like stock.

HTH!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agree with @sirepair. If you need to run a wire for some really heavy duty farkle (like a Stebel horn or high intensity NON-LED driving lights) you can bump it up to 16 ga or even 14 ga. I usually only use 14 or 12 ga for a ground from the battery to my remote located ground bar and smaller stuff after that. Here is a wire size chart designed for stranded automotive (and mc) wiring showing amps and length. Length is round trip from power source (battery pos) through fuse block to farkle and back to ground (battery neg or ground bar like I use if connected direct to battery with the heavy wire). I know about other wire charts like this that recommend heavier wire but those charts are mainly for house wiring where solid core wire is used and wires are buried in walls causing less opportunity for heat to dissipate. Distances are not that great on a bike but can be sometimes more than you think also. And wire used in mc farkle installs is stranded core so can carry just a bit more amps. I usually just go to the local O'Reilly's discount auto parts store for those spools of wire in almost any color you want. I usually try to keep close to the wire color standard of the bike on which I'm working.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd like to find a source for 2/3/4 stranded conductors in plastic sheath same as what you see on many aftermarket farkles. I found one source but is was pricey for just two conductors and the sheath. Or just the sheath and then cut to length and bulk purchased wire runs though it. If needed multiple runs of sheaths could run through plastic looms.

I should check eBay.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
In the past, others recommended Marine grade insulation wiring (oil and gas resistant, high temperature) when I was building a harness. Found several on Amazon, picked the gauge 8 needed, and it worked out well.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Agree with @sirepair. If you need to run a wire for some really heavy duty farkle (like a Stebel horn or high intensity NON-LED driving lights) you can bump it up to 16 ga or even 14 ga. I usually only use 14 or 12 ga for a ground from the battery to my remote located ground bar and smaller stuff after that. Here is a wire size chart designed for stranded automotive (and mc) wiring showing amps and length. Length is round trip from power source (battery pos) through fuse block to farkle and back to ground (battery neg or ground bar like I use if connected direct to battery with the heavy wire). I know about other wire charts like this that recommend heavier wire but those charts are mainly for house wiring where solid core wire is used and wires are buried in walls causing less opportunity for heat to dissipate. Distances are not that great on a bike but can be sometimes more than you think also. And wire used in mc farkle installs is stranded core so can carry just a bit more amps. I usually just go to the local O'Reilly's discount auto parts store for those spools of wire in almost any color you want. I usually try to keep close to the wire color standard of the bike on which I'm working.

Charts like this are very handy. Remember you fuse to protect the wiring not the device being powered. So in the case of running a horn or non LED light, you still fuse to the wire size and distance of round trip. If you blow the fuse you either used too light of gauge of wire or you have a short.

Also keep in mind you want a fuse as close to the battery as possible not the point of use. If you want to add a fuse block up front for instance, I would put a main fuse just off the battery as a "master fuse" then the block up front. Or my preference is keep the fuseblock in the tail where you can get at the fuses without pulling plastic. Then off the fuse block run a line to the nose and place a buss bar that you can power all your devices from. This is a quick search to give you an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Common-Busbar/dp/B0091VHLW4

This way you can stack all your low power items off one set of wires. You can add and remove farkles as needed and still be fused in the tail where you can get at a blown fuse on the road. I use a smaller version of something like that which I power 3 Garmins off of and a Homelink Garage Door Opener. None of which take much load and it saves me from running a bunch of wires from the tail to the nose. PIAA lights are on their own dedicated circuits. As is the Powerlet because I use that for heated gear and an air compressor if needed.

That is how I wire things but I am sure someone will be around eventually to say how wrong this is.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use Ancor branded marine grade tinned wire in 14, 16, or 18 AWG. Tinned stranded copper conductor resists corrosion in crimped and soldered terminals. Depending on the need I’ll use single primary or duplex multi-conductor cable.

I have spares of it from years of boat ownership or bought by the foot at West Marine.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
What gauge wire should I use,and where do you guys source it from? I figure a 100' should be good...
As other have said, 18 gauge is fine for just about everything except heavy power consumers such as front-end lighting, heated clothing, and aftermarket horns. I would go up one gauge (to thicker wire) if you are going to install a Powerlet connector, because you can't be sure what will eventually be plugged into it.

I don't recommend you buy a 100 foot roll, though - it will all be the same colour. Buy a few 25 foot rolls of different colours, use green for ground, and use different colour wire for each of the loads. You'll be grateful for doing that 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road, when you are trying to trace a wire to troubleshoot something.

I'd like to find a source for 2/3/4 stranded conductors in plastic sheath...
Direct Bury Irrigation Wire would be perfect. Contact an irrigation contractor (shouldn't be too hard to find one in CA), and tell them that you would like to buy 15 feet of multi-strand direct bury cable from them. The stuff comes in all sizes from 2-strand to 14 strand. It is 18 gauge single-strand (in other words, one solid conductor per wire), not multi-strand, but if you want sheathed cable, I think that is the closest you are going to get to it.

Michael

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd like to find a source for 2/3/4 stranded conductors in plastic sheath same as what you see on many aftermarket farkles. I found one source but is was pricey for just two conductors and the sheath. Or just the sheath and then cut to length and bulk purchased wire runs though it. If needed multiple runs of sheaths could run through plastic looms.

I should check eBay.
An easy answer is Ancor. They make many types and size gauge of multiple stranded conductor wires in a common sheath. You want stranded conductor wire on a vehicle as it is less affected by vibration over the life span of the vehicle. and forms into complex curves or bends as necessary to snake through tight spaces. Saving money here is short-sighted. Tinned copper is even better as it resists the corrosion that turns copper to green dust in short order. Solid conductor wire is stiff and fatigues (breaks) from road and motor vibration and is a poor choice to use here. I buy it (Ancor) in primary color rolls and by the foot for various projects. West Marine sells it in a store relatively near your house in CA or find it online form other sources. Color coding wire helps trace out circuits later - make a detailed diagram of your project and save it in the owner's manual for later or for the next owner.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I get my wire from a variety of sources, last time the local auto parts store. I use sleeving from this company to protect the wires. It gives me lots of options as to wired gauge and number of conductors. I somethings use the slide to protect wires that come with add on electronic stuff because I want to protect it from abrasion. This stuff has never let me down. They offer a variety of types, expanding, wrap, ect.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I use Ancor branded marine grade tinned wire in 14, 16, or 18 AWG. Tinned stranded copper conductor resists corrosion in crimped and soldered terminals. Depending on the need I’ll use single primary or duplex multi-conductor cable.

I have spares of it from years of boat ownership or bought by the foot at West Marine.
Good stuff! But a bit pricy. I use SXL cross linked primary wire from Wiringdepot.com - they have excellent prices. It's not tinned, but is stranded, and has a thicker insulation than standard primary wire.
I don't recommend you buy a 100 foot roll, though - it will all be the same colour. Buy a few 25 foot rolls of different colours, use green for ground, and use different colour wire for each of the loads. You'll be grateful for doing that 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road, when you are trying to trace a wire to troubleshoot something.

Direct Bury Irrigation Wire would be perfect. Contact an irrigation contractor (shouldn't be too hard to find one in CA), and tell them that you would like to buy 15 feet of multi-strand direct bury cable from them. The stuff comes in all sizes from 2-strand to 14 strand. It is 18 gauge single-strand (in other words, one solid conductor per wire), not multi-strand, but if you want sheathed cable, I think that is the closest you are going to get to it. Michael
I think the wire gets to be too expensive when I buy 25' rolls, and then I have to buy them from Auto Zone or similar parts stores. And I always have to go back and buy more. Get the 100' roll - you will use it all. AZ (my local one, at least) does not have much information on the package - I like to know the insulation type and temp rating of the wire.

I dont know the insulation type for direct burial cable. It might not be oil and gas resistant, and its temp rating might not be very high. But yes, in a pinch almost any wire will work - for a short while.

Everything dduelin said in post 11 right on! Just be sure to be sitting down if you are comparing West Marine's prices to anyone else's. That said, doing it right once is always cheaper than doing it twice. YM (and budget)MV

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
The earlier posted chart most likely reflects a 15% voltage drop. For more critical components a 3% drop is more appropriate. Always calculate the round trip, source to load and return ground distances. Tinned wire is great, used it exclusively when rebuilding my houseboat. You can often use a smaller diameter (larger #) over greater distances than non tinned. Irrigation valve control wire is most often solid and not a good choice as Dduelin stated

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I use standard overall sheath twisted pair conductors. Plenty of abrasion resistance and having the pair together you always know where your neutral/hot is. One label ont he jacket and it's identified.

WestPenn 224 for 18 gauge
WesPenn 225 for 16 gauge - and then this also double for speaker wiring for in-wall of the house. :thumb:

Bike
ST 1300
I just buy the pre made wiring harnesses from Easternbeaver.
Here is my Eastern Beaver fuse box strategically place at rear, except i need advise on a switched power source for the relay, i was eyeing the white connector in photo,
any warning i should be aware of or other sources of switched power??

Attachments

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Here is my Eastern Beaver fuse box strategically place at rear, except i need advise on a switched power source for the relay, i was eyeing the white connector in photo,
any warning i should be aware of or other sources of switched power??
Right here.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I like surplus stores for wiring. You can buy wire for pennies on the dollar and they usually have a very wide range of wire.

Matter of fact I'm making a run tomorrow to get wire for my new trailer.

Top Bottom