Need a bulk wire source for wiring in some farkles..What do you guys like?

Bike
ST 1300
Right here.

i connected the relay wire to the switched acc wire on the fuse box, except my fuse box did not fire Up...errr.
then i realized i hadn't installed the fuses in new style eastern beaver wiring harness, after installing the two 30 Amp fuses i confirmed with my volt meter current flow from the unswitched terminals.
So i unceremoniously removed the relay wire from the switched power source and touched it on the battery positive terminal....Nuttin!! I feel like the fellow in the song ?My boomerang won't come back... did i over look the obvious or is my relay hooped?!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
i connected the relay wire to the switched acc wire on the fuse box, except my fuse box did not fire Up...errr.
then i realized i hadn't installed the fuses in new style eastern beaver wiring harness, after installing the two 30 Amp fuses i confirmed with my volt meter current flow from the unswitched terminals.
So i unceremoniously removed the relay wire from the switched power source and touched it on the battery positive terminal....Nuttin!! I feel like the fellow in the song ?My boomerang won't come back... did i over look the obvious or is my relay hooped?!
IDK? I'd have to look at mine to see. It's been years since I've messed with it.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Consider keeping your electrical system as stock as possible. Many electrical gremlins can haunt you when you are far away from home.

Just my .02

Bike
2010 ST1300
You should hear a quiet click from the relay when it gets power. As Larry Fine said, your black wire from the EB harness must be connected, then powering the relay up will get you that click. If not, then your fuses are blown or the relay is defective. Iirc, there are two positions in each fuseholder - one for the fuse to power up the system, and a the other for a spare fuse. Did you slot the fuse in the correct pocket?

A relay contains an electromagnet. When you power it up, it pulls the contacts closed and allows power to flow to the switched (by the relay) part of the fusebox. This will be accompanied by a quiet 'click' that can be heard or felt. Bigger relays are noiser, but every one I have seen (except the low current expensive ones) makes a discernible noise.

I decided unswitched circuits were not going to be very useful to me, so I left the unswitched wire not connected, taped it off and made a short jumper (short piece of #10 awg wire with an eye crimped to each end) that goes from the switched terminal in the PC8 to the unswitched terminal. I'm using the unswitched fuse holder as a repository for a spare fuse. YMMV.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I'd like to find a source for 2/3/4 stranded conductors in plastic sheath same as what you see on many aftermarket farkles. I found one source but is was pricey for just two conductors and the sheath. Or just the sheath and then cut to length and bulk purchased wire runs though it. If needed multiple runs of sheaths could run through plastic looms.

I should check eBay.
Belden makes very high quality multi-conductor cable that you can usually purchase by the foot at electronics stores. It solders well and usually is sheilded to keep RF issues to a minimum (which may or may not be important in your applications).

Bike
ST 1300
You should hear a quiet click from the relay when it gets power. As Larry Fine said, your black wire from the EB harness must be connected, then powering the relay up will get you that click. If not, then your fuses are blown or the relay is defective. Iirc, there are two positions in each fuseholder - one for the fuse to power up the system, and a the other for a spare fuse. Did you slot the fuse in the correct pocket?

A relay contains an electromagnet. When you power it up, it pulls the contacts closed and allows power to flow to the switched (by the relay) part of the fusebox. This will be accompanied by a quiet 'click' that can be heard or felt. Bigger relays are noiser, but every one I have seen (except the low current expensive ones) makes a discernible noise.

I decided unswitched circuits were not going to be very useful to me, so I left the unswitched wire not connected, taped it off and made a short jumper (short piece of #10 awg wire with an eye crimped to each end) that goes from the switched terminal in the PC8 to the unswitched terminal. I'm using the unswitched fuse holder as a repository for a spare fuse. YMMV.
thank you for the input, much appreciated. The black ground wire for the relay is clamped to the negative battery post which, is connected to my battery,;
and because i didn't check the double fuse holders, i connected the fuse box without power to protect the relay...then i read the instructions as a true Senior and discovered the fuse holder has a spot for spare fuses, fortunately i installed the fuses correctly in the end. I checked continuity this am, and i believe the relay is defective so, i will ask Eastern Beaver to mail me a replacement.

b

Bike
2010 ST1300
then i read the instructions as a true Senior I checked continuity this am, and i believe the relay is defective so, i will ask Eastern Beaver to mail me a replacement.
When all else fails, read the instructions. I live by that mantra. I confess to being surprised, relays are unusually reliable - but everything can be broken right out of the box.

These might help. One is a pictorial of the bottom of the Eastern Beaver relays and the other is a schematic. Use the pictorial's terminal numbers and the schematic together to see what is going on. I would pull the relay and apply voltage to 85 and ground to 86. If the relay clicks, you have made a mistake in wiring things. (Your relay is a 4 contact SPST type).

Attachments

Bike
ST 1300
When all else fails, read the instructions. I live by that mantra. I confess to being surprised, relays are unusually reliable - but everything can be broken right out of the box.

These might help. One is a pictorial of the bottom of the Eastern Beaver relays and the other is a schematic. Use the pictorial's terminal numbers and the schematic together to see what is going on. I would pull the relay and apply voltage to 85 and ground to 86. If the relay clicks, you have made a mistake in wiring things. (Your relay is a 4 contact SPST type).
Excellent thank you, only note is he is using a new style 50A relay and i didn't see details on it, having said that relay is a relay so i will test accordingly. thanks again for the assistance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Excellent thank you, only note is he is using a new style 50A relay and i didn't see details on it, having said that relay is a relay so i will test accordingly. thanks again for the assistance.
I just checked his site, and there is no separate pic for a 50 amp relay. Regardless, the nomenclature - numbered terminals - are standard. Most relays have numbers somewhere near their respective terminals, otherwise you can probably google the part number on the outside of the relay and find out which are the 85 and 86 terminals.

Top Bottom