need some more sound

Hello
Glad to be a part of this group been learning alot by reading previous post. I just got a 2003 st1300 pan europen not sure what the european is ???? I love the bike but it feels like it pushes in cruves and tipsi on the freeway from what my Honda 750 Cruiser does . I REALLY LIKE MORE SOUND FROM STOCK has anyone ever cut the oem mufflers and try to gut them some

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Welcome.
Gutting hasn't worked well.
However there are a number of aftermarket cans that increase the sound.
Nothing like what you get out of a cruiser though, it's the difference between a twin and a V4.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you are patient, aftermarket exhaust cans come up for sale here now and then. Otherwise there is ebay, local used parts outlets and of course, buying new.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pan European was part of the ST1300's model name in the European markets. Pan means "all" and the bike was designed as a sporty tourer. The countries in Europe are generally smaller and on the ST1300 it is possible to cross the greater part of western Europe on a comfortable day ride.

I'm not any help on the noise. I usually stick to the stock exhaust system these days.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not any help on the noise. I usually stick to the stock exhaust system these days.
Same here. But even though I might like a little healthier note I don't think the ST engine really makes one if YT videos are any indication. Different engine types make a sound characteristic to them and making it louder doesn't always make it better - at least to my ears.

Big twin engines like the H-D have always sounded great to me even when too loud. One the one hand the constant blipping of the throttle that some H-D riders do is annoying. One the other - it sounds great.

My 750-4 sounded great no matter who's system I put on it. Some were just way too loud for me even then. Unless it's a very pleasing note I'd just as soon keep it as quiet as possible. Loud got old the longer I rode.

Actually the ST's engine sounds better to me than its exhaust. When my ST buddy is approaching I hear the the engine above and before the exhaust and it's a great sound.

I have a Two Brothers Carbon on my ST1300 and it sounds nice, especially on deceleration!. I also have a FZ10 with a Two Brothers and cat delete and it sounds obnoxious (I bought it that way).

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
.......... Actually the ST's engine sounds better to me than its exhaust. When my ST buddy is approaching I hear the the engine above and before the exhaust and it's a great sound.
I always liked the sound of the ST's intake noise when coming up through the gears and driving out of corners. If you can find the full length copy of Joey Dunlop racing the 1983 850cc RS850R around the Isle of Man TT course it's pure music to the ears. That V4 had a 360 degree crankshaft like the ST and the throaty intake noise can be heard pulling from 4000 rpm, albeit sounding more nuanced in the ST1300. This is a taste:

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Best sounding ST1300 I ever heard was fitted with a pair of Staintune exhausts.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you do change the cans, better do it soon. When the electric bikes arrive, you will have to tow a subwoofer and speaker set to make decent sound.

I always liked the sound of the ST's intake noise when coming up through the gears and driving out of corners. If you can find the full length copy of Joey Dunlop racing the 1983 850cc RS850R around the Isle of Man TT course it's pure music to the ears. That V4 had a 360 degree crankshaft like the ST and the throaty intake noise can be heard pulling from 4000 rpm, albeit sounding more nuanced in the ST1300. This is a taste:

I have that on VHS and I could watch it every day. I come from Northern Ireland so I have seen Joey at a few races decades ago. I am going to get a special license plate “JOEYD3”, if I can ever get my bike registered.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have that on VHS and I could watch it every day. I come from Northern Ireland so I have seen Joey at a few races decades ago. I am going to get a special license plate “JOEYD3”, if I can ever get my bike registered.
The entire lap of the mountain course used to be online but they took it down. I must have watched it 50 times, many of those times trying to understand what Joey was saying. We share a common language but I can't understand it :)

The entire lap of the mountain course used to be online but they took it down. I must have watched it 50 times, many of those times trying to understand what Joey was saying. We share a common language but I can't understand it :)
I can translate!. I looked after one of his mechanics in the very early 80s as a student nurse in Belfast.

. I usually stick to the stock exhaust system these days.
+1.

Noise doesn't buy anything, except disgruntled neighbors :)

Believe it or not (because it annoys me), i have a neighbor down the street who works until, I assume, 11pm, cause he zooms down the street about 11.15 -11.30 at night blasting his Harley noise - very annoying, and no, no one is impressed.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yeah - more noise simply does not equal more power, better torque or less fuel consumption. It simply equals.....more noise.

Think about the motivations of the companies (Original Equipment Manufacturers or OEMs) that design and build cars and bikes. Believe it or not, the OEMs get NO brownie points for lower power, less torque or worse fuel economy. Consequently, all those well-educated, highly-paid and pretty darned smart engineers work very hard with their multi-zillion dollars worth of computer simulations, R&D labs, dynamometer cells and emissions benches to make the very best intakes and exhausts they can - balanced with cost, durability, serviceability, exhaust emissions, noise and fuel economy regulations that all manufacturers are compelled to meet.

They don't always get it perfect, but they aren't often very far off.

Almost any change made by amateur, shade-tree dabblers is bound to mess-up that delicate balance and lead to reduced performance - despite the claims of the makers of aftermarket exhausts, "filterchargers" (whatever the dickens that means), intake swirl-inducing "turbo-torque" (huh?) inserts, fuel line magnetic molecule alignment doo-hickeys (...absolute and total bovine excrement) and late-night TV snake oil "liquid engineering" additives (more marketing nonsense - the only "liquid engineering" I know of - after a 40 year career in the profession - involves BEvERages in brown bottles).

Sorry - but as the man says, facts matter.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
+1.

Noise doesn't buy anything, except disgruntled neighbors :)

Believe it or not (because it annoys me), i have a neighbor down the street who works until, I assume, 11pm, cause he zooms down the street about 11.15 -11.30 at night blasting his Harley noise - very annoying, and no, no one is impressed.
The neighbor across the street from me (I call him "Jacka*s Junior"... his dad is "Jacka*s Senior") has a Hemi Ram pickup with cat-delete straight pipes, no mufflers, and those stupid drain pipe-sized exhaust tips. I know exactly when he comes and goes, and he does it all hours of the day and night.

Top Bottom