Need Tire Advice for ST1100 ABS

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Should be avail through any (motorcycle)tire dealer...

Bridgestone Exedra G547 110/80 V18 TL front
Bridgestone Exedra G548 160/70 V17 TL rear

Speed Index:
V - 240kph/150mph
ZR - >240kph/150mph

Given that European riding conditions, terrain and legal requirements differ:
Exedras: easily 12.000km/7500miles
others: <8000km/<5000miles

The controversy bias ply vs radials is a religions one ;-)
I however choose a tire that works, over any pre-justice on "old" vs "new" construction...
Unlike John I simply lost count on how many sets of Exedras I've used up, but I replace front and rear together since being worn down equally... not in the centre though... :8):

From my experience the Exedras reward with agile and very precise steering, are very neutral while leaned, combined with a comfy ride, no wobble issues, etc... and reward with a long lifetime...
What I also just love on them is their forgiving, wide safety band... when pushed they just don't snap loose, they give a gentle warning by starting to drift...

The radials I had on my STs (all standard models with the 3" front rim) always required higher steering forces, a spongy feedback, the bikes showed serious symptoms of "standing up" while leaned, dec wobble and/or high speed wobble...
And in my experience a quite narrow safety band, those tires did loose grip without much of a warning...

Can't tell about the BT023 as I stopped the (for me) expensive experiments before its release... certainly can't tell about the T30 as its a brand new rubber...
Thanks so much for the detailed reply it is really appreciated. All of this information is really helping me organize my thoughts.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
I get 8-12K on a rear Exedra, depending on riding style and roads (out west, Canada, and Alaska shortens life). 20K+ on a front, always changed out with the second rear. Part numbers, noun-nomenclature:

44711-MT3-615 / TIRE (110/80-V18) [Exedra G547]
42711-MT3-616 / TIRE (160/70-V17) [Exedra G548]

What I like about them is the neutral feeling throughout the life of the tires. Stable. The front does have a center sipe and will want to wander a bit on grated bridges and some grooved pavement segments. I just let it with a light touch on the bars. A non-issue for me after all the grated bridges during AlaskaSTOC.

John
Thanks for the numbers John. This forum with experienced people who ride long distances on the same bike is a tremendous resource. A person can spend days on the internet researching tires but it gets overwhelming at times. Input from yourself and others here help steer a person in the right direction.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
I've run all sorts of combinations and permutations on my three ST1100s on close to 300,000 miles. Bias for mileage, radials for handling. My 'distance' choice is the BT020 Bias BMW rear and the BT023 GT radial front. I plan on trying George's rear Michelin Commander and a PR4 on the front for mileage. I'm running PR3s on two of my ABSII ST1100s (correct 120 on the front, same as ST1300 and 170/60 on the rear - no ABS/TCS problems at all). PR4s are up next when the PR3s are gone. I run an ABSII front rim (120) on my 97 standard and it works just fine. You just have to swap the rotors as the bolt pattern is the same but the sizes are different.
I'm a little confused about the front rim sizes you are talking about. Did the newer ST1100s with ABSII have a different rim size than the older ST1100s with ABS?

My bike is a 1994 with ABS. I may be wrong but isn't this the first generation non linked ABS brake system?

As far as I know my rims are original, they are a gold color. The sticker on my bike calls for a 110/80 V18. The front tire currently on my bike is a Metzler Z6 120/70 ZR18.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm a little confused about the front rim sizes you are talking about. Did the newer ST1100s with ABSII have a different rim size than the older ST1100s with ABS?

My bike is a 1994 with ABS. I may be wrong but isn't this the first generation non linked ABS brake system?

As far as I know my rims are original, they are a gold color. The sticker on my bike calls for a 110/80 V18. The front tire currently on my bike is a Metzler Z6 120/70 ZR18.
The ABSII front rim is a 1/2 inch wider, and calls for the 120/70/18 instead of the (narrower) 110/80/18. It's the same size as used on the 1300, as are the brake calipers and pads. Big improvment in braking to the "STandard". Also, fatter fork tubes, helps stiffen things up. Motor and rear end, no change.

Many of us with ABSII or ST1300 are running a 130/70/18 rear tire on the front, mainly for the mileage. Gold Wing riders are doing the same.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Did the newer ST1100s with ABSII have a different rim size than the older ST1100s with ABS?
Basically are there 3 ST1100 models out:

standard (no ABS), produced from '90 till '03, 3" wide front rim, 110/80 front tire
ABS-I/TCS (the one you have), produced '92 till '94, also 3" wide front rim, thus also 110/80 front tire
ABS-II/CBS/TCS, produced from '96 till '03, that's the one with the 3.5" front rim, the 120/70 front tire and wider fork tubes (them engineers feared that the increased deceleration of the Combined Brake System in combination of the newer, faster ABS-II required improved front guidance)

It seems that mentioning "ABS" misleads many, even motorcycle workshops, as they'd forgotten about the '92~'94 ABS-I/TCS model...

Your ST should definitely run on an 110/80 front tire...

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...preferring to ride "The Pace" style with controlled engine braking and smooth acceleration.
Well, keeping "The Pace" is what's confusing the fool out them skittish sports-bike riders/weekend-warriors out in the twisties ;-)

I wish I had more curves locally so I could wear more of the sides of my Exedras. :)
Yep, I consider myself fortunate to dwell in access of all them nice Alpine roads here... were I can wear down both tires equally ;-)

The Z6 I tried wore into a twitchy/wobbly "V" so quickly (<2K) I gladly pulled it...
LOL! Guess what I'd done to the radials I'd tried when I already shape the G547 into a "V"... :lol:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

George covered it. And yes, gold was the original rim color for ABS I models, AFAIK. Having had all three 'versions' of the rims in hand, I had a chance to check bolt patterns, disc sizes, etc. ABSII disc size is smaller than standard or ABSI. But the bolt pattern is the same on all three rims. And the width at the axle (not the width of the rim) is the same on all three rims. So, other than the ABS function, they are all interchangeable and will work with the appropriate tire size. ABSII front rims are pretty rare to come across unless you look on EBAY in Europe/UK. Took me two years to find one over here.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
The ABSII front rim is a 1/2 inch wider, and calls for the 120/70/18 instead of the (narrower) 110/80/18. It's the same size as used on the 1300, as are the brake calipers and pads. Big improvment in braking to the "STandard". Also, fatter fork tubes, helps stiffen things up. Motor and rear end, no change.

Many of us with ABSII or ST1300 are running a 130/70/18 rear tire on the front, mainly for the mileage. Gold Wing riders are doing the same.
Thanks for the info.

I see your location says Kingman. I went through there last summer via Route 66 after leaving Williams. I meant to go to see the Hoover Dam near Boulder City but missed my turn and ended up in Barstow. :shrug1: Since then I've purchased a GPS and some Butler Maps. My wife says I'm no good at reading signs. :D

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Basically are there 3 ST1100 models out:

standard (no ABS), produced from '90 till '03, 3" wide front rim, 110/80 front tire
ABS-I/TCS (the one you have), produced '92 till '94, also 3" wide front rim, thus also 110/80 front tire
ABS-II/CBS/TCS, produced from '96 till '03, that's the one with the 3.5" front rim, the 120/70 front tire and wider fork tubes (them engineers feared that the increased deceleration of the Combined Brake System in combination of the newer, faster ABS-II required improved front guidance)

It seems that mentioning "ABS" misleads many, even motorcycle workshops, as they'd forgotten about the '92~'94 ABS-I/TCS model...

Your ST should definitely run on an 110/80 front tire...
Once again thanks for the detailed reply. I've learned so much in just a couple of days. It's really beginning to all make sense.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks for the info.

I see your location says Kingman. I went through there last summer via Route 66 after leaving Williams. I meant to go to see the Hoover Dam near Boulder City but missed my turn and ended up in Barstow. :shrug1: Since then I've purchased a GPS and some Butler Maps. My wife says I'm no good at reading signs. :D
You missed two more chances to head toward the dam, at Needles and again at US-95 north. Or, even north at I-15 at Barstow. Just went across the new bridge on US-93 yesterday, picking up the wife at McCarran Airport. New signs along the that route (and also south toward Phoenix) say Future I-11 Corridor. Plans have been announced for the by-pass around Kingman. Don't hold your breath. :D

Bike
ST-1100
I have an early ABS (95) and I would categorically state that you shouldn't alter tyre sizes from the original spec, I used a 120 on the front for two tyre changes before I realised why the ABS would kick in too early. I remember ranting on this very forum about how useless ABS is but after I changed back to the correct tyre size it was much better.
My current favorite is Dunlop Roadsmart 2 for what I consider superior wet-weather grip.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
I made my decision and ordered my tires today. :D

First of all I would like to thank everybody for their replies, it was a tremendous help. :bow1:

First I decided to get the proper size front tire back on the bike. Then I decided on the Bridgestone Exedra G547 and G548.

I said I was more interested in a tire that handled well than a long lasting tire but after hearing that the Exedra lasted well and also handled good I decided on those.

The trip I have planned is about 8000 miles. Roughly speaking I?ll be travelling from Vancouver Island to the interior of BC where I will spend some time visiting family. Then I'll head down and across to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South and North Dakota with a possible side trip into Minnesota then west across the Canadian Prairies. There will be some big chunks of long straight roads in the flat lands of both the US and Canada. After all of that (wife permitting:well1:) and if there is enough tread left on the tires I would like to head down to WeSToc in Fortuna, California. My plans are very loosey goosey but that?s a rough idea. It would be nice to be able to do all of that on one set of tires then start fresh next summer on new tires.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I made my decision and ordered my tires today. :D
After installing them, wipe the thread-surface with some brake cleaner or similar (i.e. rubbing alcohol)
Take it easy on the first, about 200 miles, you can speed up the "brake in" by riding some unpaved roads/through gravel...
Check your inflation pressure frequently at the beginning, especially if you haven't had the tires at higher speeds for a couple of hours, they might need some "heat curing" to fully seat and seal on the beads...

Last but not least: we expect a ride report afterwards ;-)

Bike
'00 ST1100 ABS
My local dealer suggested a Michelin Pilot Road 4 for the rear on my 2000 ST1100 ABS. I have a Pilot Road 2 on the front and have been satisfied with it. However, Michelin doesn't make a 160/70R17 so he recommended the Michelin 160/60R17 rather than the 160/17R17 Avon that is would replace. The parts guy assures me that I will see no difference between the two tire sizes except for the speedo being off slightly. No affect on the ABS.
Based on what I'm reading here, perhaps I should just ask for the Bridgestone G548 to have the "correct" tire fitment. Thoughts?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Different tire dimension will impact handling characteristics... how much? Don't know, never tried such...

Bike
'00 ST1100 ABS
You can't go wrong with the B'stone G548.
I can't agree with the statement that you'll 'see no difference' with a tire size change.
Not saying you can't do it but you will notice a difference.
Am I mistaken in looking at the specs - the G548 seems to be a bias ply tire. My front Michelin is a radial and I've been running radials for years. If it isn't a radial then I don't want to mix a bias and radial.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Um... er... tell your dealer that the speedo runs off the front wheel, not the rear.

The shorter tire will make it harder to put on the centerstand and it will lean further on the sidestand. Handling will be affected to some degree. I don't recommend it but many STriders have used a smaller size without (to my knowledge) any catastrophic event.

edit: lots of folks have mixed radial and bias tires in all combinations. Not a real problem on our heavy sport tourers, IMHO.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've run all sorts of 'combinations' and my hair didn't fall out or the sun did not stop shining. ;-) Minor difference in tire sizes will be hardly noticeable unless you ride on the edge all the time. I'm running 170/60 on the rears of two of my ST1100s (spec is 160/70) and don't even think about it. But then I ride like an old man ... :D

Bike
'00 ST1100 ABS
I've run all sorts of 'combinations' and my hair didn't fall out or the sun did not stop shining. ;-) Minor difference in tire sizes will be hardly noticeable unless you ride on the edge all the time. I'm running 170/60 on the rears of two of my ST1100s (spec is 160/70) and don't even think about it. But then I ride like an old man ... :D
LOL, I guess I ride like an old(er) man, too. But some hair fell out anyway! I think I'm going to go w/ the Bridgestone T30.

Top Bottom