Need Tire Advice for ST1100 ABS

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I think I'm going to go w/ the Bridgestone T30.
I am disappointed in the tread life of my G548; the wear bars are starting to show at less than 5000 miles. My last rear tire was a Battlax BT-020 and I got more than 14,000 miles out of it. I'm going to try the T30 next.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Once again a big thanks to everybody who replied to this thread.

I thought I would let you know how my Exedra?s did. I just returned from my trip down to the US and went a little further than I had planned. Things of interest were just another days ride further east and before I knew it I?m at YooperSTOC in Michigan! To get home I crossed back into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie and had to go all the way back to the west coast.

I was almost at the wear bars on the back tire when I reached Michigan. When I got home the back tire was almost bald. There is just a hint of centre tread left. The front tire looks pretty good although flat and cupped there is lots of tread. I put 11,241 miles on them. I bought them for their durability and am happy with that. I got about 8,500 miles out of my last set of Metzlers. They did exactly what I wanted and that was to get home without having to buy a new set while on route. They did seem less sticky than my last set of Metzlers though. I?m not sure if it was the tire actually being less sticky or me ?thinking? they were less sticky, after all I am a relatively new rider. There was one particular switch back in South Dakota where I experienced significant side slip and pucker factor but I think I was going too slow for the corner. When I thought I was going to go down I cracked the throttle and the bike seemed to dig in and stand up and all was fine. So, probably more me than the tires.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
What new tires are you buying? Exedras?

I ran one of the BMW spec BT020 bias tires a couple years ago. I found it like to slide out in the rain. Just enough to pucker me. Why? Too fast, bias vs radial, rubber compound, sipes not right, dirty roads not yet washed clean, ??? ? I was happy to remove it. I have a spare set of wheels so it became my spare tire while waiting for the good stuff to come rolling in. Great mileage though.

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
What new tires are you buying? Exedras?

I ran one of the BMW spec BT020 bias tires a couple years ago. I found it like to slide out in the rain. Just enough to pucker me. Why? Too fast, bias vs radial, rubber compound, sipes not right, dirty roads not yet washed clean, ??? ? I was happy to remove it. I have a spare set of wheels so it became my spare tire while waiting for the good stuff to come rolling in. Great mileage though.
I haven't decided what tires I'm going to put on next. On one hand I could just replace the rear with another Exedra because the front has lots of miles left on it. Economically that may be the wisest. On the other hand I would like to try a really good wet weather set of tires. By going with a different type of tire that would allow me to "feel" the difference in tire types. If I had another 8,000 plus mile trip planned I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Exedra's again. I was really happy that they lasted for the whole trip. I think I should be able to wear another set of tires out before I go on another long journey.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm running a set of BT030 GT radials now and will be interested as to what kind of mileage I get. My best rear mileage tire so far is the BT020 Bias BMW with 14,000 miles and counting (but mostly straight up miles). PR3s were disappointing (less than 5,000) and not much better on Z6s either. I got 5,000+ miles out of a BT030s on a ST1300 in New Zealand on chip and seal so there is hope they will do better than that here in the States.

Top Bottom