Never buy Dunlop Roadsmarts again

Bike
2005 ST1300
:(

Wow, I noticed my front tire Dunlop Road Smart wearing up to (not beyond) the wear bar and decided to pull the wheel to replace the rubber.
Removing the wheel was uneventful and when I rolled the wheel out, noticed this:

A very visible bubble on the road surface contact part of the tire

Here's another angle

I checked the air pressure...41lbs and I can easily push with my finger the bubble down. I am thanking my lucky stars about now as the last ride on it was at Crestoc.

Thoughts?

The original dunlop tires on my 05 ST wore uneven also causing a strong pull to the right. Metz z-6 much better.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
That's an ugly tire. Looks like tread separated from the cords. Not good.

Tread separation could result from poor design, manufacturing defect, or old tires (not the case with Roadsmarts...too new to the market). I expect that tread suddenly peeling off the cords on your front tire would cause some unexpected handling issues. :22yikes: Lucky the bubble didn't pop on the road.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Yikes ! You probably got a little shiver when seeing that. When my Bridgestone's wear out, I will probably go the Metz Z6 which I appreciated on my Bandit.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Why do you think we call them DunFLOPS! Every bike I have had that came with Dunlops, I could not get them off fast enough. They just never felt right to me. YMMV.

Bike
ST1300
Never buy Dunlop Roadsmarts again because you have one tire with a defect? I have no experience with Dunlops, and sympathize with your bad experience, but it appears to be a defect. What measures did you take to have this addressed by the supplier? Is Dunlop (or Honda if they are OEM) refusing to stand behind their product? How many miles?

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Great. I just fitted a set of these :(
Well, FWIW, I'm 5k miles into a set and they seem to be wearing very nice and evenly - and not too quickly. I like the handling and feel. I will keep an eye on them, as I always do, but I wouldn't be as alarmed as the title of this thread would seem to indicate. :| :) :|

OP
OP
islandstar
Bike
2005 ST1300
I had 7,127 miles on that front tire which by all appearances looked normal, even wear. I was actually contemplating getting a few more miles out of it but I figured, I have time so let's just replace it. I would not have seen this IF I didn't pull the wheel off the bike.

The rear was pulled off close to 6,100 miles and was cupping and well worn, but no bubble.

The MESSAGE I want to get out to everyone is to not only look at your tires or check air pressure before a ride, but to SPIN your tires and check for anything that doesn't look right.

Last edited:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Apparently, misery loves company :(

If you will ship me your tire I won't make any promises but I will tell you that I'll talk to Dunlop. They need to see these types of things and lots of times they may listen to us rather than the end user. I know that doesn't make sense but you don't piss off the guys that can sell the most tires for you.

As of right now just with the problem that Mellow and Tank had I don't push Raodsmarts at this time. Just a thought you might want to ssend it to me. Thanks Tim

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've never liked Flops... never will... hated them on my Wing... hated them on my Sabre... hated them on my Camry ;)

OP
OP
islandstar
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for the offer Tim. I had the tire replaced at the local shop and will see if they still have it when they open on Monday.

Andrew

If you will ship me your tire I won't make any promises but I will tell you that I'll talk to Dunlop. They need to see these types of things and lots of times they may listen to us rather than the end user. I know that doesn't make sense but you don't piss off the guys that can sell the most tires for you.

As of right now just with the problem that Mellow and Tank had I don't push Raodsmarts at this time. Just a thought you might want to ssend it to me. Thanks Tim

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Just a little pleasurable salt pounding. I was the first to mention they are crap, and indeed they are. I'm not a senile old crotchety crab after all... well maybe I'm not.

Bike
Triumph trophy SE
STOC #
Hi, I just want to add my 2 cents on this. I HATE my Roadsmarts, 2K miles and I'm going back to the Z6 as soon I can get a set.I find that i have a front end has weave now that I never had before,34K on the bike and the front just fells like it's got no grip in the corners. DID I SAY THAT I HATE THEM.:03biker:

STOC #
I'm on my second set of Road Smarts and I like them. I guess I don't have a history with Dunlops, so no built in bias yet. No problems due to manufacturer defects.

I really like the Road Smart handling, smooth and easy turn in, exceptional grip (wet and dry). I find that they feel very secure in the tight twisty stuff and do ok on the slab. They also held together for me and handled fine to the end of tread life (6-7k miles for my sloppy riding style)

I found the BS 020's to be the most stable on the slab, but lacked the Road Smart's "feel" in the curves. I had a defective front 020 that wobbled like crazy, it was replaced without hassle by the vendor. (same mileage 6-7k) I didn't (and haven't) give up on Bridgestone, I wore out 2 more sets.

I've also worn out a few sets of Z6's, very good handling tire also. Although, the front and rear cupped really badly toward the end of tread life that made the last 2k miles miserable due to noise and handling degradation. (same mileage 6-7k)

If this tells you anything, it should be that different riders have vastly differing experiences with the same tire.

I've been hunting for that perfect tire with an acceptable mix of grip and mileage. So far, tires made for the ST (with the exception of the ME880) have all provided "reasonable" grip, but what I would consider low mileage. Can't be unacceptable, cuz grippy high mileage tires just don't exist.

Haven't tried the PR2s or Avons yet.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Ran Dunlops on all my Harleys not 1 problem. Just changed out rear on Road King at 13,000. Could go another 1,000. Would not go through inspection.

ST1300 Bridgestones till i have a problem. 020 OEM

Top Bottom