new Avon Storms

Just installed new Avon Storms. I now have the head shake while decelerating around 45 mph. What should I look for or will the problem go away when the tires get some miles on them? This is the 4th set of tires on this bike and the 1st set of Avons. No shake before this set. I am not real pleased.

Bob

Bike
St1300
Before indicting the tires, check the steering head bearings and preload. The Avons may just be exacerbating a steering head problem. I have a 1982 CB900F that I rebuilt including new tapered bearings and tires. 1st year it was OK, then it developed a tank slapper type head shake when I removed my hands on the grips at around 40mph. Took the tire off and rebalanced it--no better. Checked the steering bearing preload and found it a little loose--tightened it per specs--head shake completely gone. Apparently, when you install head bearings, you are supposed to overtorque them a little, then back off--I never did that.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
There are enough of us that have this. I am living with it. The shake isn't bad on my bike. I can control it with one hand. I will say that I mounted my storms (front and rear) at the same time and am at 7500 or a little more miles. My rear is down to the wear bars and I just picked up a nail so it is comming off the rim. The new one should be here tomorrow. Anyhow I have the same shake that I noticed at mile 0 so don't expect it to go away with miles.

It is worth checking your bearings. I had a wheel bearing that was a little sloppy but after fixing it there was no change. So if your bearings are good and the tires are ballanced then I would work on getting a new front tire. There are a lot of us that have had this issue and Avon has been good about replacing it. Once you ride these tires you will like them. Even with the head shake I am happy with them. Next time I will likely replace it if I have the shake. This time I just said I will live with it.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I've got the head shake on decel, but it's small, and the overall performance of the Avons out weighs the problem.

I'm still loving these tires.

Tom de

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I don't normally advocate this but...

Get on a strait open flat road, accellerate to about 55 mph. Then, release the throttle and carefully remove your hands FROM THE BARS and hold them just above the grips. When the speed passes between 50 mph and 40 mph (45 is avg it seems) see if your front end shakes just a bit.

If your hands are on the bars at all, you won't notice it. It wasn't until my second set of STorms that I noticed it and it has remained consistant with the third set. It has not affected handling at all and riding on the freeway is smooth as buttah.
This is what I notice on my 1100. I can easily control it with one hand on the bars so it really doesn't bother me that much. That is why I didn't do anything about it this time. When it comes time for a new front tire I might get it replaced if I have the same shake with a new one just to see if another tire fixes it. As for the one mounted up now I will keep running it until it is due for replacement.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think it's pretty much plain physics... when you are decelerating your weight transfer of the bike goes from - let's assume 50/50 front/rear - to 60/40 front/ rear.. etc... so more pressure and weight is on the front suspension.

At that point, there are many factors that can contribute to a head shake... weak fork springs, rear suspension, worn front - and yes, worn rear - tires, road surface, tire pressure and even the wind.

Ever see sport bike races when the bikes power our of a corner on to a straight? Their front wheel will many times wobble due to the weight transfer from front-to-rear... same physics will apply to acceleration as well as decel.. However, most of us don't have the horsepower, or nerve, to see the effect coming out of a corner.

I'm not saying anyone should ignore these things when they happen because you could have a valid issue.. just saying there are physics involved and other factors that may be normal.

Bike
ST1300 '08
I'm a ways off from needing tires yet, and I don't intend to stir anything up, but..

reading this thread, I am wondering why anyone would tolerate a headshake issue that seems to be due to one particular tire brand/model? OR, do other name brand tires do this too on an ST? Is it inescapable?

I have no way of knowing how severe this is having not experienced it for myself either.. But reading this thread, it seems to me that the obvious thing to do is avoid Avon tires and buy something that performs appropriately. no?

Bike
None
STOC #
uNBELIEVABLE!:hat2:

I've read a ton of threads...ok just several...on this problem w/the Storms. My 1998 has ZERO head shake w/the Storms. You have a defective tire if my guess is right! Numerous folks on thread before mentioned, has Avon replace the tire for free and the shake went away!!! That's where I'd start! The afore mentioned threads also mention a batch of bad Storms the size the 11's take! Again, get your front tire replaced under warranty if you can! That should do the trick and you'll love your STorms!!

I can also attest that the bearing conversion and fresh fork fluid took away any wibble wobble feeling I was getting from uneven road surfaces and tar snakes...:clap2:

JMH2?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I'm a ways off from needing tires yet, and I don't intend to stir anything up, but..

reading this thread, I am wondering why anyone would tolerate a headshake issue that seems to be due to one particular tire brand/model? OR, do other name brand tires do this too on an ST? Is it inescapable?

I have no way of knowing how severe this is having not experienced it for myself either.. But reading this thread, it seems to me that the obvious thing to do is avoid Avon tires and buy something that performs appropriately. no?
It isn't as bad as it sounds. What I feel if coasting through the 45MPH range with one hand on the bar is a slight vibration. That is all it really feels like. If I bascially let go of the bars with both hands and just cover then that vibration turns into a very mild head shake. Of course if I let things be it could probably develop into a tank slapper but I am not going to do that. So it really sounds worse than it is, at least with my bike. If I am on the brakes through that 45 MPH range I think I pass through it too quickly and I don't notice it at all. It is only while coasting.

As for running a different tire. Sure that is an option. This is an area where you have to make a personal decision. For me the wet weather performace of this tire and how sticky they are in the corners is enough of a factor to make me want to keep running them. If your personal riding style is only in fair weather and you slab everywhere then the Storm isn't the best tire for you. A harder compound tire that has better life would be a better optoin. While I don't have a ton of cornering that I do there are a few that I like blasting through and I ride rain or shine. So for me the wet weather performance of this tire is what sells me on them. I used to run the OEM Dunlops and they would hydroplane at 55 MPH. I have run the same roads in the same conditions with the Storms and have had no hints of hydroplaning at 80+. They are as stable as if the roads are dry. Also in my riding it is pretty rare that I run around at 45MPH where the head shake is. The roads I am on 99% of the time have speed limits of 30, 55, 60 and 65. While there are some roads around here with a speed limit of 45 I just don't find myself on them very often for some reason. Not that I am avoiding them, I just don't happen to go that way.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
Opposite experience for me. Put an Avon Storm on the front for the first time last month (have about 5500 kms on it now).

This tire has the least amount of headshake/vibration in hands-off decelerating through 45 mph of any front tire I've had before (020's, 021's, Dunlop 220). Dunlop was the only tire I really had a problem with, but remounted it/rebalanced and improved greatly. Probably just lucky with the balancing on the Avon, good tire, etc., since I've always had a bit of headshake in past...not something I considered a problem.

And the Storm has been fine with a (now worn out) 020 rear. Very happy with the Avon front and just ordered an Avon rear.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Opposite experience for me. Put an Avon Storm on the front for the first time last month (have about 5500 kms on it now).

This tire has the least amount of headshake/vibration in hands-off decelerating through 45 mph of any front tire I've had before (020's, 021's, Dunlop 220). Dunlop was the only tire I really had a problem with, but remounted it/rebalanced and improved greatly. Probably just lucky with the balancing on the Avon, good tire, etc., since I've always had a bit of headshake in past...not something I considered a problem.

And the Storm has been fine with a (now worn out) 020 rear. Very happy with the Avon front and just ordered an Avon rear.
The head shake issue with the Storm seems to be more of an issue with those of us on the 1100. The 1100 and 1300 use different size tires.

Bike
06 ST1300A
I was out with my Storms yesterday in heavy rain with standing water and roads pretending to be rivers and they cut through everything. Guy behind me said he could almost see a dry line where the water had been shifted.

I hit one puddle that was a bit deeper than it looked, mentally panicked but kept it straight and rode through. The resulting splash/spray was half way up my legs but the bike stayed solid. I was grateful the tyres only have a few hundred miles wear on them...

STOC #
The head shake issue with the Storm seems to be more of an issue with those of us on the 1100. The 1100 and 1300 use different size tires.
Exactly. My personal experience was a bad one with a Storm on front. I had tapered bearings, Progressive springs and fresh fluid and no head shake on the Metzler Z-6 I had on before the change. I was very disappointed in the first 100 yards of riding with the Avon. I knew right away I had a problem. I was afraid to ride much farther and got it off in short order. Yes, they did give me a refund but I was still out the $20 return shipping. I am sticking with Metzler fronts and Bridgestone 021 rears. I recently went from the BT-020 to the 021 and so far am quite happy with it. It even balanced without any weights.

STOC #
I forgot to add, I believe the head shake with the Storm is related to how pliable the sidewall of the tire carcass is. I tried a couple of diferent pressures but there was no improvement.

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
Just installed new Avon Storms. I now have the head shake while decelerating around 45 mph. What should I look for or will the problem go away when the tires get some miles on them? This is the 4th set of tires on this bike and the 1st set of Avons. No shake before this set. I am not real pleased.

Bob
I am on my 4th set of storms. Have never had headshake with the new tires. At the very end of tire life on this last set I had a little bit of shake at ~45 on deceleration, went away with the new set, now rock solid. Did you mount these yourself? I do my own tires. If it were me I would pull the tire, break the bead and reseat it on the rim and make sure the balance was good.

Bike
ST1300 '08
McReviver, are you riding an ST1100 or ST1300? thanks ...

am I interpreting this correctly that the Storms are fine if you have an ST1300?

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I just love the STorms on my '93. I'm about half way through my 7th. 3 fronts and 4 rears. I had one front that didn't wear even (cupped) and had a little head shake decel. It actually cleared up some late in the tires life.....

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I just love the STorms on my '93. I'm about half way through my 7th. 3 fronts and 4 rears. I had one front that didn't wear even (cupped) and had a little head shake decel. It actually cleared up some late in the tires life.....

I think it's pretty much plain physics... when you are decelerating your weight transfer of the bike goes from - let's assume 50/50 front/rear - to 60/40 front/ rear.. etc... so more pressure and weight is on the front suspension.

At that point, there are many factors that can contribute to a head shake... weak fork springs, rear suspension, worn front - and yes, worn rear - tires, road surface, tire pressure and even the wind.

Ever see sport bike races when the bikes power our of a corner on to a straight? Their front wheel will many times wobble due to the weight transfer from front-to-rear... same physics will apply to acceleration as well as decel.. However, most of us don't have the horsepower, or nerve, to see the effect coming out of a corner.

I'm not saying anyone should ignore these things when they happen because you could have a valid issue.. just saying there are physics involved and other factors that may be normal.

Two very good points here. My experience with shakes (non-milk) and bikes; Almost every bike I've had has had a shake like this at some point. Tire wear ( odd or uneven ), tire pressure and design can be cause.

I often find tires behave differently over the life of the tread. The amount of rubber we have changes quickly.

And like Mellow said, I'm not trying to say you don't have a bigger/actual problem, I'm just saying :D.

Tom de

Top Bottom