new Avon Storms

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Here is a thought: The tread pattern on the Avon Storm has a slight variation in the spacing of the tread grooves. This is designed so that there will be no speed at which a resonant vibration can occur.

The ST1300 OEM Dunlop tires have a uniform spacing of the tread groove pattern, and at about 50mph, the frequency of the grooves hitting the pavement is also the resonant frequency of the front fender, and it will "howl."

While the non-uniform spacing of the Avon Storm ST will not excite a resonant frequency in the front fender, there is wavering input to the bike once per tire revolution and it can feel a little like a very mild "head shake" at a certain speed. If you don't wear earplugs, and are on a good smooth pavement, you can hear the tread pattern noise wavering slightly.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
At 11,213 miles, I put a Storm on the front, and still have the original Dunlop on the rear. My $.02, the Storm is FAR BETTER than the original Dunlop was. I had the shakes with the Dunlop when decelerating, and had the tire rebalanced thinking that was the problem. Never did get rid of the shake. The Storm is perfectly smooth, and sticks like....well....rubber! Great tire, very confidence-inspiring, and I will definitely replace the rear with a Storm when it's time.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Since my earlier post, I have now put a couple of thousand mikes on them. It has developed a very minor shimmy at the 40 to 50 range, but I only notice it if I loosen my grip on the bars somewhat. I also get a bit of a howl when going thru long sweepers at high speed. The grip is good though and I am satisfied with the tire. When they are done, I will probaby try another brand though.

STOC #
McReviver, are you riding an ST1100 or ST1300? thanks ...

am I interpreting this correctly that the Storms are fine if you have an ST1300?
Yes, the 1100 is what I ride and I would never trade it for a 1300. Trying to compare the Avon Stormy experience on the 1100 vs the 1300 is not useful.
All I know is what works for me. That is Metzler Z6 front and Bridgestone BT020 or 021 rears.

Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
I have a set of Avon Storms ST's on my '91 (less than 4000 miles on them) and still cannot get used to them. They might grip well but the bike does not seem to have the stability in a curve that I had with the Bridgestones 020's. The bike seems too nimble and easy to move off line in the middle of a curve. This might be great for some riders but I like one that holds a line a little better and requires more force to change lines. Has anyone else experienced this? I have no headshake.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I use STorms and get no shake, I did get a little riding another ST1100 with a Metzeler on it but the tyre was near done..... had some with a BT 020, but again it was near done.

Anyhow, I would not ride with both hands off the bars so it really makes no odds......

Out of interest, I noticed that the STorm has a different profile shape to other tyres, more elliptical, (or peaked) than rounded, and this seems to offer better turn in. Perhaps on some machines this profile is less suited to the riders preference.

I am sticking with STorms....... (and beads)....;)

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I mounted my Storms last week and just completed a 2,500km round trip to OHSTOC. At about 60 or 65km (about 40ish) I get headshake only if I loosen grip on the bars and they are very loud on some types of pavement. Nice tire, not as good as the Z6's they replaced IMHO. We'll see how they age.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I tried Storm 2s on my 1300 and I got the slight wobble at around 45. Nothing severe, but a bit annoying. The front tire is wearing very well (over 8k miles and climbing), but I had to change the rear at around roughly 6000 miles. I noticed that 2-up riding is what really killed the rear quickly.

I'm going to try a PR2 as my next front tire, just to try something different.

Jim

STOC #
I just put my second set of Avon Storms on (front and rear)

As some may know, I had a blow out with the rear on my way to Americade. Not unusual since I had pulled a screw from the tire the week before and it too 3 (YES THREE) plugs to repair the hole. It was more of a tear than a hole. Well the plug failed and we plugged it again only to fail again. Grrrrrr. Had to be towed into Americade.

I tried to find a dealer that would quickly put tires on her. Only found one that could do a rear within the day. The others told me a week. :eek:4:

So off to Americade I went in the back of a pick up truck :( to have another set of Avon Storms put on. I really wanted to try a different set of tires, but Metzler pulled out and Bridgestones installer pulled out 30 days before. So my only choice was the Avon Storms again.

First I must take my hat off to the guys and gals at Raymertown Garage in Troy, NY (518-663-8311) as not only were they the only tire installer on site, they've been doing this at Americade for over 10 years! I could not beat the price (tire nor install) and they even did my brakes at the same time. On top of that they let DaveM, Laura, Lexie and I hide in their tire tent when we were hit with bad storms.

So today I decided to check my mileage on these tires. 13,600 miles! Now I do a lot of highway which tends to eat tires, but OMG! I can not ask for better mileage from a tire. I think I'm sticking with the Avon Storms from here on out.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I'm going to check back in here...I realize that the Connie and the ST aren't exactly the same, but....

I am going to end up with decent mileage on my second set...Not great, but ok. In the vicinity of 8500, I would guess. They are still, unquestionably, the VERY BEST handling tire I have ever ridden on...

However, I am going to put PRs on before I head out in August...I want some mileage cushion on my trip...and no, I haven't decided whether PR2 or PR3.

Top Bottom