new black bird

Bike
2009 ST1300
considering looking at a bike, wondering if anyone has any opinions / suggestions on a black bird, to me it's just another CBR that I've run down with the ST, lots of smoke

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you can run down a CBRs with your ST, you will be really impressed when you are the Blackbird pilot.
I bought one because to me it is a beautiful shape. No excess styling cues. Mostly an aerodynamic design to get the job done (top speed winner) with the least horsepower.
It is very powerful, scary powerful for me, yet quite docile. The motor works just as well riding it like a 30hp scooter as full on power runs.
A Hyabusa or ZX14 might be a more practical buy since much younger model years are available and so many more were built.
I would suspect they also have the docile and ferocious qualities covered.
A CBR1000RR or ZX10R would have the the speed of the BB with better handling.
Still I chose the BB for it’s looks, price, legend, and mature previous owner.
The handling of the first one I bought was not that great. I sold it then missed it the following season and bought another one.
My current bird handled better.
Then I really committed. Penske shock raised the rear end a bit, combined with Daugherty Motorsports fork cartridges the ride and handling feels great.

On the other hand I’ll recommend setting up the ST with a Penske shock, raise the back end a bit have Jamie Daugherty install his cartridges. I am very pleased with my ST set up this way. I often think of my ST as a big VFR now because the steering feels similar.
The mad speed of the bird can only be enjoyed so much, the improved suspension on the ST, and the bird, is a constant joy at any speed.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
We have a BB along with our ST and a few other stable mates. @sirbike is spot on, we upgraded our ST suspension to racetech, it handles very well now. Have considered the same for our stock BB but as my riding buddy @drrod and fellow BB owner says 'then what'? The darn thing is already a missile and we only ride it a couple times a year going out for supper LOL

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Blackbirds generally get very good reviews from their owners.

I've always liked the Blackbird, and came
this close ->||<- to buying one back in '99, but I ordered the introductory year 'Busa in grey (copper color was the other option - yuck!).

That was an incredible bike and garnered a lot of attention. However, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking, "I really want the 'Bird", because of reputation and reliability.

And now, 22 years later, I'd never be able to sit on either, much less ride one (or even an ST now)

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
Well more like sneak up on them when they slow down, I know these are more in the ZX14 and Hyabusa range of performance, but just curious how they handle and perform, riding position compared to the ST in the reasonable rate of speed range. Be kind of neat to try one on for a while.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I bought one and the handling was terrible. For the few times I would ride it I decided to sell it rather than work on the handling aspects. They are fast!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
A buddy of mine decided to sell his three bikes all at once, was going a different direction. One was his blackbird, and I thought about it for a bit.... a few weeks later I found it went for way too cheap, and kicked my butt I didn't get it. Can't find one now......

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
I have a '98. Currently stove up needing some TLC that exceeds my skills and not many work on carbies anymore. However... I love the 'Bird. It is easy to ride easy, and will leap when ya twist. I set mine up as a "super-sport tourer" - a few mods for comfort and the full GIVI Wing Rack system. Just needs an RDL (the stock seat is literally a pain in the derriere after a couple of hrs!) and mine is good to go. Oh, and right now needs some carb and electrical work (maybe I mentioned that?). I have done some light touring and many day rides plus any number of combat commuting days in H-town madness.

It will do in 1/4 to 1/3 twist of the wrist what my ST would do in 3/4 twist. Effortless. And excellently controllable. Of course, modern sport bikes are truly "next gen" handling from the 'Bird but I have never felt her ragged or unsorted.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It is important to keep in mind that the BB is a sport-touring bike with the emphasis on sport. However, don't expect it to have razor sharp handling. It handles well enough to not be embarrassed in the twisties (raising the back slightly really helps), but where it shines is high speed stability, effortless torque/power and glass smooth. I have lost track of the number of times when I have looked down and discovered I was going significantly faster than I thought.
Ergonomically it is about half way between a dedicated sport bike and the ST. I put VFR clip ons on mine and that improved the riding position considerably. I still have the stock seat and find that about a 200 mile day is long enough on my old bones. But, Oh........what a great 200 miles.

It is the kind of bike that you get off of smiling and turn and look back at when you walk away.
Here is a pic of my BB and sky.high's RC51 on a lunch ride.
RC and BB .jpg

And mine in the environment where it shines!!
yamnuska.jpeg

Sir,

I have both (and a few other bikes). I got mine in 2001 and won't ever let her go.
If you can run them down on your ST, you're either very good or the other guys lack something... :)
I love my ST to death (and so do my other bikes) but it doesn't hold a candle to the 'Bird when things get serious.
If you're OK with the ergos, go for it. (VFR bars help a lot)

t.

considering looking at a bike, wondering if anyone has any opinions / suggestions on a black bird, to me it's just another CBR that I've run down with the ST, lots of smoke

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
A buddy of mine I worked with at the Bank had one... he'd ride it in when we'd do a lunch ride up to Black Hawk and back. It was the one bike he had that would give my C14 a run for the money. :biggrin: He had a Yoshi can on it... man did it sound good!

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA

I like the Super Blackbird for short trips or tours in good weather. The ST1300 is still my favorite for all else.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a LOT to say about my all-time favorite motorcycle EVER.
But not on this goofy iPhone keyboard.
I’ll be back…
OK, so now I'm back.
I got the first year carb'ed model in 1997, and found it to be the BEST all-around street bike I've ever owned. I loved nearly everything about it, except for trying to reach those 4 spark plugs so deeep in the engine, and removing the bodywork and panels... much like the ST, in that regard.
Standing at 6ft no inches, 150 lbs before gear, this bike was literally all-day comfortable in stock form, for my build. I never found the need to tweak the windscreen, bars, pegs or seat, and in fact rode my first Saddlesore 1000 on the stock seat. As mentioned, some liked to swap the bars with those from the VFR, but I never did. I also left the stock pipes, because there was a subtle growl when wound up, they look really dialed in stylistically, and I don't like loud pipes on street bikes. If you feel the "need" more power, I can only imagine you are a track racer or maybe a drag racer.
Ultimately I bought a used Corbin saddle, but rarely rode on that because I didn't want to get it messed up in the rain, or have it fade in our hot summer sun.
For me, the slight forward lean was the perfect balance between a full-on tuck and sitting upright. My elbows didn't hurt, my back didn't hurt, and the wind hit me high in the chest to relieve any pressure on my arms or wrists.
I added aux driving lights and a ThrottleMeister in 40K miles. Oops, I DID add RaceTech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, as my riding was improving and I could push it in the mountain twisties to the point where the front end felt a little vague and uncertain. On premium sport rubber But only when I was really hustling, and with quick left-right-left turns. The RaceTech solved that issue and literally transformed that motorcycle into a genuine speedy-quick corner-carver, not just a straight-line missile. You could drag the belly panels on either side, but you would be really heeled over. I rarely touched down; I felt it had all the clearance it needed in curves.
Added a Givi WingRack 2 (I think that was the model) which didn't look dorky at all, blended nicely and was almost unnoticeable without the bags on it. But when I added 2 40-liter sidecases and a 45-liter top trunk, I could live off the bike for 2 weeks, and it then WAS the sport-tourer as advertised. Black cases with a touch of red trim, they did not look out of place, and I wish I could find my pictures of it decked out. I repeat, it did NOT look like a dork-mobile, and I saw it as stately and somewhat sinister, because most people had no idea of the untapped power they walked by when it was at rest. Gotta love a shiny black motorcycle.
As for speed, I would occasionally outrun several Porsche's in straight-line showoff bouts -- and THEY always started it, not me. Honest.
Got a speeding ticket for 93 in a 55 zone; it was late at night and I was actually going faster than that.
Didn't usually get reckless fast (arguable, I know) but really enjoyed the acceleration and the all-day power. At some point, I did give in to the "how fast will it go, really? temptation, as it WAS the fastest production motorcycle when it was introduced. Fastest I ever went was 140 on the interstate, but it was a long uphill curve at 1am and when I found I was having to really push the bars for that curve, I decided to back off. Funny thing, I never even noticed the curve at all, in the decades of riding that stretch at normal speeds. But at 140, I could tell the motor had even more power and speed to deliver.
OK, I'm going long. My last stupid speed story:
Before my wife and I were married, her father passed away and I was invited to the funeral, and that was the first occasion I had to meet all her family. I was to be in Montgomery, 90 miles south of my apartment, at 0900 Saturday morning. It takes 90 minutes on average to drive there, but I woke up LATE! and had to rush, rush, rush. I had a wool-blend suit, dress shoes and shirt with tie that I put in the top box, and pulled out of the garage at 8:05, sweating bullets.
Running 100mph, interstate all the way, I made it in under an hour but was there on time to change and meet the family.
And I was a nervous wreck, watching for cops and wandering cars on the highway. No incidents, no tickets, but I will NEVER do that again. Not recommended.
When I look for used Blackbirds I see most people butcher the rear turn signals, and the rear fender, and put on ratty pipes. Finding a STOCK one is difficult but not impossible, and I've seen good clean low-mileage ones for under $4000, and I think that's a pretty decent price for what you get. I think the stylists and designers did a great job and I love the stock bike, visually. All the metric fairing fasteners carry a subtle 6-divot pattern around the circumference, which is echoed on the rear of the exhaust pipes. Just little styling cues I appreciate.
So, by now you might be asking "why did you get rid of it if you liked it that much?", and that's because I realized that to move my riding skills to the next level, I needed to learn to ride in dirt and offroad.
Enter the KTM 950 Adventure -S.
NOTE: the CBR1100XX (Blackbird) has an early version of LBS, so the brakes are very, very similar to the ST1300 linked brakes. Maybe identical, right down to the SMC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
like I said, in my dreams, I've snuck up once or twice, but you never get much of a look before they're gone, then a bit of chase before they vanish, there's one close by here and I'm going to see if I can arrange a look, no harm in looking.

Top Bottom