new black bird

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Bought my first one from a 68 yo in plenty good shape and another bike to ride but, had the bird to ride with the younger generation that had moved away.
Right at the point that I was resisting a lower offer, because it was a good deal, he says,
“I won’t take less, I’ll build a shelf on the wall and put the bike up as art.”

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
And that is the thing. Those who have not owned a BB may have a bit of difficulty understanding the feelings that ownership does impart. Difficult to explain or understand, but it is real.
I am sure there are other bikes that do the same as well. I think some MV's must do the same thing to those who own them.

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
It seems as though the 97 to 06 run of these things had remarkably few changes; [what's to change with an inline water cooled transverse four driving a chain] I think this is the high-water mark for the inline four; it's oversquare, 11:1, I don't think we're gonna see VVT and VVL on this platform; 9500 carbed or 10000 FI I think this is it; at 174 [a 737 lifts at 180 and touches down at about 120] I think this all there is, all there is ever going to be, and they're not coming around again, with a less than 3 percent loss through this particular chain set up, the weight, wheel base, can't say I like six gears, guys seem to be comfortably rolling this thing in around 7000 with seemingly linear torque / speed / power.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Chris,
I am pretty sure you will have seen this, but just in case you haven't, this is perhaps my favourite Utube of the Blackbird.
Watch the speedo but just also keep an eye on the fuel gauge. For everything the BB is, fuel efficient is not one of them!!

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Yeah, count me in. Me too, I'm dreaming of owning a blackbird.

And the one responsible for that, is this guy : "HeroRR". His videos are so well made and beautifull...

On this first video, he explains why the blackbird is such an incredible bike.

And in this second video, he tries one on the road.

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
I watched the second one a couple days ago, I've never ridden one, I think the guy does a great job as well, kind of shows that it's a fairly smooth line through higher rpms.
I [think] the mirror positions are good as well. Will check the other ones out as well. I really don't know what else is out there; there probably are bike engines with cam phasers and everything else. I wouldn't ride it like he does [especially residential / rural neighborhood, didn't think much of that, ever hear of dogs?] or try to take it on any kind of distance but it's interesting.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It seems as though the 97 to 06 run of these things had remarkably few changes;
To the best of my knowledge, the "official" production run was '97 to 2003. The 1999 model saw the introduction of "programmed" fuel injection and a slightly modified instrumentation layout, other than that the engine, brakes, suspension and frame were unchanged. I think 1999 was when they quit painting the clutch cover and the visible engine cases black, which was a downgrade in my view.
Blackbird... key word being "BLACK." That later butt-ugly "titanium" paint scheme proved that some of the Honda design crew were partakers of cocaine and other mind-altering chemicals. But the red and blue ones introduced outside the USA were pretty in their own way, but black is the way to go with this rocket.
It may be that the " '04 - '06" models may be new in the crate, like the ST1300 police bikes. There is a date after which no new ones were produced.
And while I'm often wrong (but never in doubt), I'm confident 2003 was the last "new" model year. Well, let me clarify... at least in the USA. Could be the machine was shipped to other countries like Canada or the UK, but I've never seen a legitimate 2004 or later CBR1100XX. I can only imagine what a new-in-crate XX would fetch today -- undoubtedly more than 10 grand, maybe more than 20, who knows?
The Honda Blackbird forum mentioned above was run by Warchild (Dale Wilson?) who is still actively engaged in the Iron Butt Rally, usually as chief of tech inspection. @Shuey could confirm or correct me on that.

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
Well thanks very much for all of that I was hoping you would respond, just in time as well. I seem to recall reading something odd like - last available in US was 2003 but that is all very good to know.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I just did a Google search (when did Honda stop making the Blackbird?) and on the first page of search results were no less than THREE articles / references mentioning 1996 to 2006 and 2007.
But hey, that's the internet, so it must be true, right?
Not so much.
Still recall being amazed and disappointed when after only 6 years (1997 to 2003), it was announced that Honda had already discontinued this bike. 2003 is the last year of production.
I'll put it this way... if anyone can show me a CBR1100XX frame plate with VIN that states 2004 or later, I'll eat my hat.
And I'll post it on the internet, so you'll know I truly did it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Unser System ist sich nicht sicher, ob Du ein Mensch oder ein Roboter bist. Bitte helfe dem System und zeige, dass Du ein Mensch bist, um auf mobile.de weitersurfen zu können.
Our system is unsure if you are human or robot. Could you please help the system? Show that you are a human to carry on surfing on mobile.de.
Bitte markiere die Checkbox, um zu bestätigen, dass Du kein Roboter bist.
Please click on the checkbox below, to verify that your are not a robot.

No checkbox to be found on that link.
Not even a German one. (Unless it's silent...)

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
I hit the check box and did see listings, starting point seems to be around 4,000 and goes up from there, I'm guessing it's euros; current exchange is about 4,4450 US, about 5,750 maybe Canadian, so maybe a bit more expensive in europe but overall not a lot more for lower milers.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
:thumb:
I just did a Google search (when did Honda stop making the Blackbird?) and on the first page of search results were no less than THREE articles / references mentioning 1996 to 2006 and 2007.
[...]
Still recall being amazed and disappointed when after only 6 years (1997 to 2003), it was announced that Honda had already discontinued this bike. 2003 is the last year of production.
I'll put it this way... if anyone can show me a CBR1100XX frame plate with VIN that states 2004 or later, I'll eat my hat.
I think 2003 was only the last year it was offered in the USA. But new model year were still offered (and produced) to others country (Europe and Australia) up to the 2007 model year.

Many blackbird forum and sites lists the difference encountered among the various model year, up to 2007.

This Blackbird forum, for example : CBR1100XX Model differences

In the same forum, back in 2016, a guy in Sydney Australia, was offering his 2007 Blackbird for sale.

The wikipedia page for the blackbird, in french language, is also listing differences between model years, up to 2007.

The Haynes manual for the blackbird is for production years 1997 to 2007.

OK. Now, Mark... ( @Sadlsor ) ...

CBR1100XX, manufactured Nov, 2004. ;)

cbr1100xxSuperBlackbird_2004VIN.jpg

... from a 2004 Blackbird, sold only a few months ago, in Australia.

But don't eat your hat, yet.... cause I didn't showed you a VIN plate... just the picture of a VIN plate. :hat3:

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
:thumb:

I think 2003 was only the last year it was offered in the USA. But new model year were still offered (and produced) to others country (Europe and Australia) up to the 2007 model year.
Well dang.
Thought I knew the XX.
NO, I KNOW I know the XX. But only the Americanized ones.
Now, where did I put my chocolate hat...

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
I'm only parroting what I'm reading; throwing it out there, I don't know ____ from shredded wheat; I've never even sat on one, and I didn't want to look like a tourist, but you get into the red zone with the ST at around 85 [only for comparison's sake, I'll be long dead before my modest estate sells the ST]. With the blackbird [03 at least] it's a little higher; I thinking it was around 9000 [I know the redline of the carbed vs FI from the specs, but again wasn't really paying attention to that] very similar four banger sound at cold start, but you can hear the difference in cams; it almost sounds like the same ECU, and cold, the blackbird hunts slightly more than the ST, [and they both hunt, so not that impressed ECU wise with either] a sharp snap on the throttle and inline four / ECU is quick and quick to recover, there's only the slightest difference [and it's valve overlap] between the sound of each of these remarkably completely different engines.
I mean, it's longer than these crunched up CBRs, it doesn't scream 1200 rpm, it weighs / holds something in dirty wind, the only question becomes which one and how much.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, since you compared engine sounds, you've reminded me of one more thing I like about Honda motors, particularly these two. These being the ST1300 and the 1100XX.
They both sound quiet and civilized in normal day to day riding, which belies the power and speed in each of them. There is no high-pitched screaming or loud and low rumbling to pierce your eardrums when you walk by them, or even when they pass you on the highway.
Both simply do their jobs, quietly and quickly, and in a civilized manner. But when you get in a serious hurry with their throttles and run up the rpms, they still sound good.
I've never been a fan of loud pipes, and I don't buy into the "loud pipes save lives" mantra.
Unfortunately, from what I see, an aftermarket exhaust is one of the most common mods done to the Blackbird.
The Honda design teams, again in my opinion, hit home runs with the ST and the XX, and created two very attractive looking motorcycles.
Hey! Riders!
Leave them pipes alone.
EDIT: I just saw your last question.
Not to be dodgy, but the truth is that they are worth whatever one will pay for one.
I remember 2 to 4 years ago when I saw nice XXs for 3500 to 5000 bucks, U.S.
Raggedy ones went for 2500 to 3500. I saw several I would have bought for 4000, if I had had the money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom