new black bird

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
But for the incoming GSA, that is one I would go after. Can't forget inflation.
Expecting to replace the SMC, adding about $180 to the cost. Hello, @Igofar...?
Same device, same technology. I bet I could do it quicker, this time around.
(NOTE: geez, all stock, my ideal XX.)

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
Initially registered [and labeled / tagged with New York motor vehicle] in the US, this 2003 with 4,285 miles is nearly flawless; there's a bit of scuffing on the plastic tank guard and a bit of wear on the clear coat above it but hey, nothing's perfect. IMG_1719.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
my understanding was that the bike redlined at 10 [or 9500 if you the early carburated version, which would have suited me] this 03 redlines somewhere around close to 1075, according to the tach, the first bike I looked at, you could hear the valve overlap at idle; which was still very subtle and less than expected / anticipated for an inline four that reaches peak hp [and probably 80 percent of] peak in the 10,000 rpm range. You could hear the the ECU compensating [via ignition variation / PWM on the injectors] however, the second bike was not like the first; it sounded more like the ST at idle; smooth variable predictable, repeatable.

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
they were not the same inline four / four valve per cylinder machines; not sure why, maybe after a bit of wear and tear, my hunch is valve adjustment might be more important on the 1137, will see, but you could definitely hear it.

I like this video, too. It is an early carb'ed model and the movie was shot before the digital era.
(either by a Dutch or Danish publication) They used like a 100 feet of duct tape to mount the camera
on the tank... :) The video is cut, though - the bird won't drain 1/4 of the tank in 90 seconds. :)
I heard that a few years later the guy was killed in a bicycle accident. :(

We tried to replicate the stunt back in 2001 when I got my '00 and still have the footage somewhere buried.
scratched windshield, strong headwind, traffic and we just couldn't replicate the results.
update: found the movie if anyone's interested:
The bike sailing past is a '00 'Busa. He did hit 300 according to his speedo.

Chris,
I am pretty sure you will have seen this, but just in case you haven't, this is perhaps my favourite Utube of the Blackbird.
Watch the speedo but just also keep an eye on the fuel gauge. For everything the BB is, fuel efficient is not one of them!!

Top Bottom