new laam seat

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Can you take a close up picture of that seat. I'm curious as to the difference between the basket weave and that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bike
FJR1300
Thanks for the recent pics, Redfish. Because of your initial posts and reviews, I initiated contact with Seth. Haven't heard back from him yet but I'm excited to get this mod. I've got the Spencerized stock seat now but my arse is screaming for a different solution. My plan is to do front and back, both heated! (note-my home State of Minnesota).
"Ya sure, iss cold outside and ders da svede on da bike."

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've finally gotten to go out for a few around-town rides (work's been a killer the last few weeks!).

My initial impression of my Laam seat with CarbonFX cover is:

Compared to factory, it seems "slipperier." A - it has been cold, so stiffer. B - the CarbonFX vinyl is about 3x heavier than the factory vinyl, so you would expect more stiffness (especially when cold) which I believe translates to "slipperier" when riding.

I have never had the sense of "Armor-All" slippery, or being "uneasy". It would definitely be easier to adjust butt position on if "sport" riding.

Once it sits out in the warm sun for a while, and I get in some riding hours, I think it will be fine as it "fits itself to me."

Based on initial riding, I would have liked a slight bit more "scoop" in the seat. Especially with its "slickness" I still have a tendency to slide up toward the tank, and that is with the front set on "middle" height and the back on "low" position. If I find it really annoying, I'll probably send it back to him and have him tweak the foam shaping a bit more.

My 2 cents.

Ride safe...

Bike
FJR1300
I initiated contact with Seth 1 week ago to give him some business, front and back (with heat)...a big expense and have not heard back or even been acknowledged. This does not make for a good impression.

Bike
2004 ST1300 BLU
He can be a bit hard to get in touch with, but once you get the ball rolling, he does not waste time… I called a couple times initially, but the third time was a charm, and the process moved quite efficiently after that! He received my seat last Tuesday, we went over everything on Thursday, he finished the work Monday, when he called to follow up, take payment, and sent seat back that evening. I should be receiving tomorrow or Friday! Of course depending on his workload, those times might vary, but a week and a half total for a custom seat is pretty quick! And PS, the 3 times i've called and got through, Seth has answered, so I don't think it's a real big operation… If he doesn't answer or respond right away, he's probably on a job. Keep trying. I think the best times I got through were late afternoon (Pac time) Hope that helps? Best of Luck! Can't wait for arrival! I'm in AZ, so I'll be test riding this weekend! :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This does not make for a good impression.
I can see how that would be annoying. But over the years this seems to be fairly common with smaller operations. Many times the vendor gets overwhelmed with people who just "want to talk" and may not be really serious about buying. Meanwhile the vendor has paying customers to attend to.

When I'm ready my game plan is to contact him by email or phone and set up a ride-in appointment. Get a consultation figure out what I want and what he can do then get lunch and ride home with a new seat. That's the plan anyway.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I initiated contact with Seth 1 week ago to give him some business, front and back (with heat)...a big expense and have not heard back or even been acknowledged. This does not make for a good impression.
Email him. He called me within a few days after I emailed him. I plan on sending my saddle in, in June.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
+1 on later in the evening. Remember you are calling on west coast time. He called me back within 5 minutes of submitting the initial order form, but I did this at 6:00 pm his time. I also believe he is the only one that works there and answers the phone. It's a small business that is worth the extra effort. You want immediate service contact Russell for twice the price. They can pay for someone to answer the phone.

Last edited:
Bike
FJR1300
maybe he overlooked my email. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm thinking word is out and he's one busy guy. It's now over 1 week and no reply but I'll take your advice and call this evening and give him another opportunity.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
maybe he overlooked my email. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm thinking word is out and he's one busy guy. It's now over 1 week and no reply but I'll take your advice and call this evening and give him another opportunity.
Being the busy owner of my own business I can relate to him. I always tell people if you don't hear back from me call again. I get busy and think I'll call back later and then forget. Contact him again and I'm sure he'll get back to you.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've too sent him some business... I'm hoping to get a seat shipped to me sometime mid-next week! Excited!
Also had some communication issues, but we've finally gotten to talk and my seat is being made tonight (swapping him seat pans so I still have mine) and its supposed to ship out tomorrow. Pretty excited, as the stock seat and my butt bones don't get along very well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
We're leaving on May 21 to be in Redding on the 26th.
That will definitely be a good test of the seat. What kind of window did he give you for the job? I plan on doing the same thing… some day.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
That will definitely be a good test of the seat. What kind of window did he give you for the job? I plan on doing the same thing… some day.
Same day. He said it would only take a couple of hours IIRC. The missus and I are really looking forward to the ride back up the Pacific Coast Highway with the new seats.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
This thread certainly peeked my interest in obtaining a LAAM seat!

Sent with Tapatalk Pro.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Not the best (cell phone) pictures in the world, but I took a comparison before sending mine back. And The second is just my son breaking it in for me! :)
laamseat1.jpggavinlaam1.jpg

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
hmm... I have been thinking of a new seat and now I'm more confused than ever.
I have the orig seat and a corbin. The corbin is HARD and sits very low and forward. I came with the bike. I put it on thinking I should like it but after a few weeks I go back to the stock seat.
I don't find the stock seat all that bad but I can't stand how I feel like I'm riding on the boys (if you know what I mean). Seems like I'm always adjusting my position.
Now compaired to my 919 which also has the stock seat, the ST is a ton better but I still find myself adjusting all the time.
I would really be disappointed if I shelled out the cash for a seat to get one with the same problems that I'm having with the stock one or the corbin have.

Top Bottom