New LED city street lights, idiot drivers

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Just last month SoCal Edison changed out my street lights from orange HPS fixtures, that made a bright spot under it, to a better warm white LED.
These new lights are set to spread out the light more evenly up and down the street and greatly reduced the dark areas between the lights.
Though not prefect, they really made the city streets very well lit up. BUT.....

The big problem is that I have seen several times are cars, on the road, forgetting to turn on their lights at night!!!
They are running completely dark, no tail lights and no headlights, or maybe they have on their DRLs but no tail lights.
I am afraid that these people can see so well with these new street lights, that they forget turn on, or just think that they do not need to turn on their lights.

I do not see this on the country roads just in the city.

Please be careful out there!!!. . :eek:

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Another pet peeve of mine is drivers who turn on their parking lights just because. I suppose some might be using them as DRLs and others because they like "the look". Since the dash lights are on when the parking lights are on the headlights are sometimes off when they shouldn't be. It happens more often in rainy weather when the can't see the beams on the pavement.

A corollary to that is many of the same drivers are clueless when you turn your headlights On/Off or flash the high beams.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't think it's just the new street lights. It's not uncommon here to even see people on our highways (60mph no streetlights, no buildings or light other than the stars and moon) driving with just DRL's. I partially blame some of the car manufacturers who have an OFF/AUTO/ON feature where people who normally have it in auto (DRL in day, full lights at night) get it switched to OFF which means only DRL all the time. You'd think that when they only have the DRL's on at night they'd notice as they have no dash lights inside the car and obviously seeing the speedo would be even more difficult.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Sorry folks, but there's just no vaccine for stupid .... :biggrin:
And most folks can't operate many of the functions of their vehicle. Aside from the obvious headlights I'm thinking specifically of the electronic e brakes and auto sensing wipers.

Bike
VStrom 650
Not all dash lighting is on with DRL's not here anyway. We've got two motors, one they come on and on the other one they don't.
It is also legal to operate a vehicle in a restricted speed area (30 mph) with just front and rear position lights, no headlights required. Although few do. I think this possibly goes back to when cars had dynamos and motorcycles had magnetos etc and town running would have flattened the batteries.
But UP is right, he usually is.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
And most folks can't operate many of the functions of their vehicle. Aside from the obvious headlights I'm thinking specifically of the electronic e brakes and auto sensing wipers.
Auto wipers, if I wasn't already Bonkers they'd drive me Bonkers.........
Upt'North.

Reactions: Obo

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was at a 4 way stop the other day with 5 cars sitting across from me. As I went by, at least 3 of them had their faces stuck in their cell phones not paying attention at all to what was happening in front of them. It's a strange world out there where the last thing on a driver's mind is operating their vehicle. That's down around tenth place .... :eek:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was at a 4 way stop the other day with 5 cars sitting across from me. As I went by, at least 3 of them had their faces stuck in their cell phones not paying attention at all to what was happening in front of them. It's a strange world out there where the last thing on a driver's mind is operating their vehicle. That's down around tenth place .... :eek:
Yeah... maybe autonomous vehicles aren't such a bad idea.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Here's the law here - for those who choose to follow it. You'd have to live under 3 rocks here to not know you can't text and drive or use a non hands free phone, which is why there's no warnings - just tickets.

What is illegal and what is not under the law?
Telephone calls:
You cannot make or take calls when driving unless your telephone is hands-free or single-touch. If there is an emergency, you can call 911. Only while driving a police, fire or ambulance vehicle are you allowed to make or take a call.
Texting: You are not allowed. Ever.
Portable GPS: You can look at your GPS screen, but you cannot program or handle it.
MP3 or other entertainment devices: You can handle built-in devices. If you have a portable device plugged in while you drive, you can listen, but you cannot touch.
Display screen: If it is built into your vehicle, it is fine. Otherwise, you cannot have it in your view.
Two-way radio: You can use a two-way radio if driving for commercial purposes or driving a commercial vehicle (a bus or vehicle with gross mass of 4,500 kg or more), or involved in an emergency operation or search-and-rescue.

What is the penalty?
Drivers who violate the legislation can be fined $172.50 and lose three points from their licence.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Passing laws....enforcing them....having them stand up in court under the hindsight of a lawyer....are the cause of the increased number of idiots on the road.
And everywhere else.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was commuting, which means I was Lane Splitting, I saw many, many, many on their stupid phones! Drove me nuts. Sometimes I would hit the :toot1:to wake them up as I went by!

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Here's the law here - for those who choose to follow it. You'd have to live under 3 rocks here to not know you can't text and drive or use a non hands free phone, which is why there's no warnings - just tickets.

What is illegal and what is not under the law?
Telephone calls:
You cannot make or take calls when driving unless your telephone is hands-free or single-touch. If there is an emergency, you can call 911. Only while driving a police, fire or ambulance vehicle are you allowed to make or take a call.
Texting: You are not allowed. Ever.
Portable GPS: You can look at your GPS screen, but you cannot program or handle it.
MP3 or other entertainment devices: You can handle built-in devices. If you have a portable device plugged in while you drive, you can listen, but you cannot touch.
Display screen: If it is built into your vehicle, it is fine. Otherwise, you cannot have it in your view.
Two-way radio: You can use a two-way radio if driving for commercial purposes or driving a commercial vehicle (a bus or vehicle with gross mass of 4,500 kg or more), or involved in an emergency operation or search-and-rescue.

What is the penalty?
Drivers who violate the legislation can be fined $172.50 and lose three points from their licence.
Similar rules here but fines are stiffer.

Fines for distracted driving in Ontario can be anywhere from $615 to $3,000 with three to six demerit points.
If you're a first-time offender and you dispute the ticket, a $615 ticket increases to $1,000 if you lose.

A second-time offender will receive a $615 ticket that increases to $2,000 if they dispute it and lose. They can also expect six demerit points and license suspension for seven days.

For third-time offenders, a $615 ticket goes up to $3,000 if they take it to court and lose. Mar 20, 2020

Top Bottom