New Shinko 011 Verge Radials Installed

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
To be fair. I shod the bike with a little over 5k on the odometer. For the most part I ride two up with a 46L Shad top case. I have a little over 10k now. I think under these circumstances I got what I paid for. They handled well. Excellent change of direction. Solid mid curve stability. It wasn't a bad tire. I think for the load/weight demands placed on the tire it needs to be stiffer. So my choice: I went with a mid range cost tire that is modern in designed. I went with the Dunlop road smart 3 despite the dunlop threads. I think by now any flaws have been worked out. Also I am installing a Full Delkevic exhaust. look for that over on the delkevic exhaust. I havent taken photos of them yet.

Bike
2004 ST1300
To be fair. I shod the bike with a little over 5k on the odometer. For the most part I ride two up with a 46L Shad top case. I have a little over 10k now. I think under these circumstances I got what I paid for. They handled well. Excellent change of direction. Solid mid curve stability. It wasn't a bad tire. I think for the load/weight demands placed on the tire it needs to be stiffer. So my choice: I went with a mid range cost tire that is modern in designed. I went with the Dunlop road smart 3 despite the dunlop threads. I think by now any flaws have been worked out. Also I am installing a Full Delkevic exhaust. look for that over on the delkevic exhaust. I havent taken photos of them yet.
I think that may be a fair assessment and the Verge is borderline in weight rating. It's had fairly good reviews on the ST (so far my rear Verge 011 is wearing ok) but in the size for the Kawasaki Concours rear the forum reviews haven't been good. The extra weight of two up loaded touring result in faster wear and some have had some handling issues depending on tire combinations front/rear.
I had excellent results with the Shinko 777 on both my Concours (the "newer" version was the 777HD) but never had the Verge model on a C10. Been satisfied with the Verge on my ST so far (4500 miles and lots of tread left). Made a couple trips of less than 500 miles full loaded and two-up, so that's a small percentage of my total mileage conservatively driven.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Taking my front verge off at 9k still has life but going on a trip.. putting a verge back on:policeST::)

Bike
Moto Guzzi SPII 1987
How have the Shinko 011 worked out for you? Need to replace BS Battlex rear after 4500 miles.

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
Installed Shinko Verge 011's on 2010 St1300.
About 1000 miles on them
Two weeks ago was caught in rain in north Idaho.
Speed limit is 75 on that stretch, no wobble, bounce or anything strange.
Very quiet at any speed.
So far have worn off mold vent nibbs.
No flat spots, tip into corners very easily, 3/4" chicken strip on both sides.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I just had a set of 011 Verges installed. Mechanic friend told me he's heard a lot of good things about them from his customers. He sold me a set dirt cheap to try. @500 miles so far and no complaints yet.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I sure will. I've been trough 2 sets of Pirelli Angel GT'S, and 1 set of Avon Axiom's so far. No complaints on any of them.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I use Rear Shinko 009 raven loves it great tire been used this tire for many years now. I got 8K to 13K out of it the way I ride, my strips usually at 1/4 or less on edges. But, I do not like the front Shinko raven though. Will try an 011 Verge next time.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Rear Verge changed at 8,000 miles. Tread was still fine but was leaking air at the bead. Not the tires fault , glass beads embedded into the rubber between the rim and tire bead. Traction is good wet or dry. Drove a little too fast on some curvy roads a few times and no complaints on grip :) . Replaced it with another Verge for under $120 shipped.

Bike
R1200rt
I think that may be a fair assessment and the Verge is borderline in weight rating. It's had fairly good reviews on the ST (so far my rear Verge 011 is wearing ok) but in the size for the Kawasaki Concours rear the forum reviews haven't been good. The extra weight of two up loaded touring result in faster wear and some have had some handling issues depending on tire combinations front/rear.
I had excellent results with the Shinko 777 on both my Concours (the "newer" version was the 777HD) but never had the Verge model on a C10. Been satisfied with the Verge on my ST so far (4500 miles and lots of tread left). Made a couple trips of less than 500 miles full loaded and two-up, so that's a small percentage of my total mileage conservatively driven.
Bias ply tires are always better for heavier loads

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Turned 8k kms on a set of these, a healthy dose of country road twisties, a few small mountain runs, some questionable roads even a little gravel and wet weather and they are performing very well. Even wear, good grip, all around a good bang for the buck so far.
Going through a recent mountain pass under torrential rain I never felt like I would lose grip.
Still lots of life. Pics to follow

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Turned 8k kms on a set of these, a healthy dose of country road twisties, a few small mountain runs, some questionable roads even a little gravel and wet weather and they are performing very well. Even wear, good grip, all around a good bang for the buck so far.
Going through a recent mountain pass under torrential rain I never felt like I would lose grip.
Still lots of life. Pics to follow
I have enjoyed the Verge for years on my ST and I would like to share my observations.
Thread life, 10 000 miles for the front and between 6 000/8 000 miles for the rear.
For the good, extremely good grip, dry or wet, very agile tires providing a sporty feeling, very stable at high speed. On the top of that, they are affordable and reliable and they wear very well and do not square at all.
I had only one tire (front) with a defective thread on 7 sets.
For the less good, because of the V shape design, they are giving the impression of falling in corners, like squaring curves instead of giving smooth trajectories. Another criticism is the impossibility to trust the wear marks and it's hard to know when you really are near the enveloppe.
They are also much more rough and noisy on the pavement compared to my preferred tire, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.
For the price, I would call them a great choice for the ST!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm on my third set of Shinko 011 Verge tires. I had no problem with the first set. I had a slow leak develop in the front tire of the second set when it was down to less than about 25% life left on it. I could never find the leak. I replaced the tire and the slow leak disappeared. I am down to less than about 25% life remaining on my third set and I have another slow leak on the front tire and again, I can not find any leak. It seems that these tires somehow loose air when they are getting close to the wear bars.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this issue with these Shinko 011 Verge tires. I ask because I had a similar issue with one of my ST1100's front wheels. That problem was from new and was constant regardless of the tire condition or type- it turned out to be a porous rim. This wheel has never lost any air from the day that it was new. This air loss only started when I was on my second set of Shinko 011 Verge, and now again on this third set now that it is less than about 25% life left. If it is the tires, it is a strange coincidence that I have two in a row that do this. If it isn't the tires, it is hard to believe that it is another porous rim- especially since that is normally a problem that is a manufacturing defect and therefore present right from the start.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'm on my third set of Shinko 011 Verge tires. I had no problem with the first set. I had a slow leak develop in the front tire of the second set when it was down to less than about 25% life left on it. I could never find the leak. I replaced the tire and the slow leak disappeared. I am down to less than about 25% life remaining on my third set and I have another slow leak on the front tire and again, I can not find any leak. It seems that these tires somehow loose air when they are getting close to the wear bars.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this issue with these Shinko 011 Verge tires. I ask because I had a similar issue with one of my ST1100's front wheels. That problem was from new and was constant regardless of the tire condition or type- it turned out to be a porous rim. This wheel has never lost any air from the day that it was new. This air loss only started when I was on my second set of Shinko 011 Verge, and now again on this third set now that it is less than about 25% life left. If it is the tires, it is a strange coincidence that I have two in a row that do this. If it isn't the tires, it is hard to believe that it is another porous rim- especially since that is normally a problem that is a manufacturing defect and therefore present right from the start.
I have to ask what valve stems your using?
If they are aftermarket metal stems, then I would question the o-rings provided since there is no support for those from anyone.
In many states you must replace the rubber stem every time a new tire is replaced etc.
I also found that with these tires, the rims must be cleaned well before the new tire is installed or it can throw the balance off.
Also a good quality tire paste is a must, so the tires pop completely on with one pop, not two or three per side.
Stiff, dry sidewalls give these tires problems seating the bead correctly a lot of times.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
None of those issues would manifest a leak in two different tires only towards the end of the tire's life. Those issues would present a leak at all times and right from the initial install of the tire, which is not the case. As mentioned above, in both cases the leak only presents itself much later in the tire's life when the tire has about 25% or so remaining. The first 75% of the tire's life there was no leak in both cases.

I have checked the valve and around the bead and no leaks found.
Because of the leak with the second Shinko, I exercised extra vigilance making sure that the rim bead seat and the tire bead were spotless when the third Shinko was installed.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
what your not taking into consideration is when the tire is starting to come to the end of its life, the tire is thinner, and more flexible, and has less strength and support on the side wall.
They can squirm around and start to leak in places that they didn’t in the beginning of their life.
I have seen this happen with several different brands of tires, and would not imply it was a Shinko brand tire problem only.

Top Bottom