New Synergy Heated Gear

I ordered the jacket, pants and gloves today from wingstuff.com. Everything is on back-order and they expect delivery in about three weeks. Act early if you're thinking about these for a Christmas gift.

STOC #
What were the gloves like? Stiff or did they have more of a broken in feel?

My Gerbing gloves are stiff... some Widder gloves I had a few years ago felt like I'd had them for years as soon as they arrived.
The gloves are made from goatskin and I like the feel of them - they are not stiff. They seem relatively supple and fairly well made.

Jon

STOC #
I'm in the market for my first set of heated gear, so I think I'll give these a try. First, I need your thoughts on a couple of questions:
- Heated vest or heated jacket? Pros and cons, please.
- Do I need heated gloves if I have heated grips?
Please advise.
I second what Mellow said:

If you have heated grips already, you probably do not need the heated gloves. You could always add them later if need be.

I found that my shoulders/upper arms and hands would be the first to get "cold" on the ST11, so I went the extra $$ for the jacket liner.

Jon

STOC #
Thanks for the reviews. This product seems to have become popular quickly.

The dealer in Lompoc has this gear in stock. I'm trying to move to wearing my Joe Rocket 990 jacket year-round. It's silly but I don't feel safe on the bike anymore unless I'm wearing tight ceramic infused 1.2+mm leather. The vest liner looks compact. The jacket liner doesn't look like it will fit in a snug jacket.

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm in the market for my first set of heated gear, so I think I'll give these a try. First, I need your thoughts on a couple of questions:
- Heated vest or heated jacket? Pros and cons, please.
- Do I need heated gloves if I have heated grips?
Please advise.
As Mellow said, I would recommend the jacket liner rather than just a vest. My arms get cold in the bicep area where they get the most wind blast.

Heated grips only heat your palms. Heated gloves heat the tops of your hands and your fingers. Most folks I know recommend having both.

STOC #
Thanks for the reviews. This product seems to have become popular quickly.

The dealer in Lompoc has this gear in stock. I'm trying to move to wearing my Joe Rocket 990 jacket year-round. It's silly but I don't feel safe on the bike anymore unless I'm wearing tight ceramic infused 1.2+mm leather. The vest liner looks compact. The jacket liner doesn't look like it will fit in a snug jacket.
I would say if you can fit a thick sweatshirt (no hood) under your Rocket jacket, the Synergy liner would probably work fine. If that would be tight in the shoulder / arms, perhaps just the heated vest version.

I found that the jacket is not bulky at all - much less than a thick sweatshirt. Probably because the liner is "form fitting" and a sweatshirt usually is not.

Jon

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Jon & all, Great info here. Thanks for reporting. These look very interesting to me. I'm a bit surprised Tourmaster did not design these to zip into existing jackets like the liners (unless I read this wrong). That would make these so much easier to use.
Actually, you can look at that from the other side, you don't have to have a TM jacket so odds are, they'd sell more that way.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Putt,

Webbikeworld has a favorable review of the vest and an unfavorable review of the gloves. http://www.webbikeworld.com

These guys are very hard on heated stuff, often attributed to weak electrical power on their review bikes.

I like what I hear, but my hands and arms are where I take a beating in the cold so I am gonna wait for some "other" reviews before i take this as gospel.

It may be cheaper than Gerbing and come with its controller included but I never hear that Gerbing did not keep someone warm. On top of that, can't mix and match like you can with some of the others like Warm and Safe.

Cold gear is hard for me to consider unless I ride north of I-30 most of the time....

I want heated gear, especially after Moonshine last year, but I want to get it right, I can;t afford to cheap out And have to invest twice.

Chris :06biker:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Putt,

Webbikeworld has a favorable review of the vest and an unfavorable review of the gloves. http://www.webbikeworld.com

These guys are very hard on heated stuff, often attributed to weak electrical power on their review bikes.

I like what I hear, but my hands and arms are where I take a beating in the cold so I am gonna wait for some "other" reviews before i take this as gospel.

It may be cheaper than Gerbing and come with its controller included but I never hear that Gerbing did not keep someone warm. On top of that, can't mix and match like you can with some of the others like Warm and Safe.

Cold gear is hard for me to consider unless I ride north of I-30 most of the time....

I want heated gear, especially after Moonshine last year, but I want to get it right, I can;t afford to cheap out And have to invest twice.

Chris :06biker:
That's kinda my thoughts too, Chris.. I would rather hear it from some of the members on THIS board... My local dealer is suppose to order a set of the pants and liner in XL so they/we can judge how the sizes actually
run... I guess I will have to call my STealer and find out what the scoop is
on the Synergy gear...

Putt...

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I get the impression, you're starting to get exited about your new bike.. LOL:coolit:
Actually, the gear would mainly be for the wife... I can stay warm behind
the windshield, but it gets a little drafty riding pillion...

Putt....

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I am about to buy some Tour Master Synergy heated liners and the ST1300 Dual Rear Powerlet Kit. I need a way to connect the liners to the powerlet plugs instead of the wiring harness supplied with the liners.

My impression is that the Synergy liners use a coaxial connector to their wiring harness, but I have not been able to confirm that. Powerlet offers the Liner Power Cable - PPC-005 (pictured below) that looks like the same connector used on the liner wiring harness. Can someone with the Synergy liner confirm this info please. I'm hoping that this setup will work.

Last edited:
My Synergy pants, jacket and gloves arrived yesterday, but it will be several days before I can put them to the test. The Powerlet setup above looks correct. I'm going to look for that connection locally first. Where did you get it?

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Bump...
What is the prognosis??? Anyone have any first hand reports on
the Synergy Gear???

Putt..

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I bought the gloves and jacket from Wingstuff, but the jacket is still on backorder.

Like others have said, the gloves are very supple from the start, and they're going to be my new winter gloves, whether I use the heat or not.

When using the gloves only, you're supposed to run the wires through your sleeves and down your chest, exiting your jacket bottom. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with a one-piece Aerostitch. So instead, I just ran the wires outside, and sat on the wires when on the bike, snugging up any excess underneath me. It worked in a pinch, and I didn't have to fish wires through my sleeves.

The warmth is great for the fingers (the elements are on the tops), but I wish the elements for the thumbs were moved to the front inside, because that's the part that's in the wind while holding onto a handlebar.

I'm very happy with the gloves, and anticipating the jacket.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I bought the gloves and jacket from Wingstuff, but the jacket is still on backorder.

Like others have said, the gloves are very supple from the start, and they're going to be my new winter gloves, whether I use the heat or not.

The warmth is great for the fingers (the elements are on the tops), but I wish the elements for the thumbs were moved to the front inside, because that's the part that's in the wind while holding onto a handlebar.

I'm very happy with the gloves, and anticipating the jacket.

Any thoughts on the how well the gloves will handle wet weather?

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I tried out the jacket liner and gloves last week. The temperature was between 38 and 42.

The jacket liner was almost too warm to use on low. However, to keep my hands warm I still had to use the heated grips. The gloves did help to keep the top of my hands warmer but they produced very little heat, especially compared to the jacket liner.

I am going to try using the Y connector next time and run the liner and gloves on their own separate thermostat so I can have the liner on low and the gloves on high.

When using the gloves separately, you have to remove the thermostat and replace it every time you take off and put on the gloves. Not a big deal, but it just seems that it could have been designed so that you could do a plug and play.

The connectors are very bulky and at first seem a little uncomfortable. However, after riding a few minutes I did not notice them being there.

All in all, I am very pleased with the jacket liner, but I found the gloves ability to produce heat to be very disappointing. Other than the heating factor, I thought the gloves were very acceptable.

Top Bottom