New tires, bad bearings!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Byron came by this afternoon to put some new PR2s on for me and when I pulled the rear, the drive side (hub) bearings were missing a few parts. Missing was the bearing cover and part of the bearing hold. :22yikes:

Since I had a set of bearings on hand (which I recommend to all) we replaced them and then I cleaned out the final drive side and found all the missing parts! :hat1:

The one thing that I am really glad about is that Byron and I put those tires on 7K miles ago (they were used ones that already had 4K on the rear and 6K on the front). If I would have put my new PR2s (that we put on today) back then, I would still have another 4K before replacing them, meaning that bearing would have been really toasted! :eek:4:

Time to order more bearings! :D

And for those of you wondering, my bike has 56,760 miles on it.

Bike
2005 ST13
There's a good Wiki idea; List of Parts & P/Ns to have on hand. Bearings, and such....?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There's a good Wiki idea; List of Parts & P/Ns to have on hand. Bearings, and such....?
Chuck did a great job on showing how to check them here:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51756

I put a thread together when I changed mine here:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55014

6905RS is the number for stock one with one rubber seal. 69052RS is the one sealed on both sides.

I got mine here:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/6905-2RS

These appear to be the most common of the bearing failures. Not many have posted about front bearings but it has happened, just uncommon.

The tools for the rear aren't anything special. You could go to any shop and I'm sure they'd have enough to work with if you had the bearings in hand in an emergency situation.

RCS

6905RS is the number for stock one with one rubber seal. 69052RS is the one sealed on both sides.

I got mine here:

These appear to be the most common of the bearing failures. Not many have posted about front bearings but it has happened, just uncommon.

The tools for the rear aren't anything special. You could go to any shop and I'm sure they'd have enough to work with if you had the bearings in hand in an emergency situation.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to order some bearings to keep in "inventory". Is there any advantage having the ceramic bearings on hand instead of the steel?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Byron came by this afternoon to put some new PR2s on for me and when I pulled the rear, the drive side (hub) bearings were missing a few parts. Missing was the bearing cover and part of the bearing hold. ...snip...
And for those of you wondering, my bike has 56,760 miles on it.
Are there more bearings failing on the drive side or both?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like Joe said, these seem to fail the most out of the bearings. Although I did have a front fail not to long ago, but it was a bearing that was replaced from my crash last year. (They replaced the front rim with new bearings. - one of those failed - I had that bearing on hand too :D)

For what it is worth, I've started adding a little inventory of minor parts just because common replaced parts (o-rings, bearing, nuts, screws, bolts, etc...) can take a week to order either from a online source or your local stealer. So parts that I find that I don't want to be down from, I've been gathering slowly when I order other parts that I'm needing at the time.
:woo

For instance, I've buggered up the pinch bolts to the front forks, so I'll order those, a long with the new bearings. :yes:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for the links. I'm going to order some bearings to keep in "inventory". Is there any advantage having the ceramic bearings on hand instead of the steel?
I don't know enough about those to know if it matters, Sorry.

Like Joe said, these seem to fail the most out of the bearings. Although I did have a front fail not to long ago, but it was a bearing that was replaced from my crash last year. (They replaced the front rim with new bearings. - one of those failed - I had that bearing on hand too :D)

For what it is worth, I've started adding a little inventory of minor parts just because common replaced parts (o-rings, bearing, nuts, screws, bolts, etc...) can take a week to order either from a online source or your local stealer. So parts that I find that I don't want to be down from, I've been gathering slowly when I order other parts that I'm needing at the time.
:woo

For instance, I've buggered up the pinch bolts to the front forks, so I'll order those, a long with the new bearings. :yes:
I also have my 'Bin O ST Parts' ...

RCS

I don't know enough about those to know if it matters, Sorry.

I also have my 'Bin O ST Parts' ...

Okay, this thread saved my bacon yesterday. When I read this thread back in May 2009 I ordered the Final Drive Flange bearings. Mine were toast yesterday. Called Dealer and wait was 2 weeks. Looked in my "Bin O ST Parts" and low and behold I had a set there that I forgot about. Put them in the freezer and installed in 30 minutes. Bike is fine and good to go now without Dealer involvement.

So, what else should I have in my "Bin O ST Parts"?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Brake pads and wheel bearings are both recommended carry with on the long rides. Easy enuff to change and any decent shop can help get'em changed. Spare tars ain't a bad idea either. :D

My opinion,

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I lost the front wheel bearings just 3km from the best Honda shop on Prince Edward Island at about 28K miles. The service guy (Lorne) had me in and out of the shop quick with the grand total being 58$ Can. I bought a lottery ticket that same day but had the feeling I had already won….
-Paul

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

I got mine here:

Just ordered 5 sets of the 6905RS bearings...for $30

I doubt I'll need 5 sets so I'll have 4 spare sets for $10 ea. (Shipped to US) available once I receive them....

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Bob et al, don't forget to reorder after using yur stored parts.

Okay, this thread saved my bacon yesterday. When I read this thread back in May 2009 I ordered the Final Drive Flange bearings. Mine were toast yesterday. Called Dealer and wait was 2 weeks. Looked in my "Bin O ST Parts" and low and behold I had a set there that I forgot about. Put them in the freezer and installed in 30 minutes. Bike is fine and good to go now without Dealer involvement.

So, what else should I have in my "Bin O ST Parts"?

RCS

Bob et al, don't forget to reorder after using yur stored parts.
Thanks for the collective wisdom.

I have or will have in the "Bin o Parts:

Rear wheel
2 - 6905RS bearings (rear wheel)
1 - 20x47x20.6 bearing (rear wheel)
1 - 6204UU bearing (rear wheel)
1 - full set of O rings for the rear wheel

Front wheel
2 - 6204RS bearings

Other
1 - Full set OEM brake pads
1 - Turbocity thermostat
1 - OEM thermostat O ring
1 - Tube Moly 60 paste
3 - Oil bolt washers
3 - Oil filters
1 - very small assortment of fasteners/screws/bolts
1 - set of special tools to remove/install each of the 4 rear wheel bearings and 2 front wheel bearings

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Just ordered 5 sets of the 6905RS bearings...for $30

I doubt I'll need 5 sets so I'll have 4 spare sets for $10 ea. (Shipped to US) available once I receive them....
I ordered 5 sets also. I will keep the extras in the cabinet incase I need them or someone I help change a tire needs them.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Spare tars ain't a bad idea either. :D

My opinion,
I always keep the next set on hand in the garage. Never know when you might get a flat. Also like to have them incase someone traveling through the area has tire trouble and needs one.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
So, are youse guys ordering generic 6905RS bearings? I've been ordering mine from CBR bearings, they seem to be better quality than even OEM. I've done the "industrial" bearings from a local bearing house and last long. They weren't $6/set either.

Top Bottom