New tires, bad bearings!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
So, are youse guys ordering generic 6905RS bearings? I've been ordering mine from CBR bearings, they seem to be better quality than even OEM. I've done the "industrial" bearings from a local bearing house and last long. They weren't $6/set either.
I ordered from VBX. The link Joe provided above. If they don't last long, I guess I will have 4 set of extras to replace with;)

RCS

Today I ordered a complete set of wheel bearings from Vxb.com for front and rear. On the Final Drive set I ordered the ten pack. I talked the folks at Vxb and they said that they source these bearings from Japan and/or Germany.

I'm only guessing here but based on the burn't grease at 11,800 miles in my Final Drive Flange bearings I would think the issue is heat and not load. I know that load can cause a heat issue, but that would probably happen sooner than 11,800 miles. If load were the issue wouldn't these bearings only last 1-2,000 miles before failure and wouldn't they both be toast and not only one of the two?

I'm not a bearing expert but I would think it gets incredibly hot in the Spline where these two bearings are located.
It could also be a manufacturing/assembly line issue at the Honda factory. Maybe the bearings were not initially pressed in correctly on a few ST's since only a handful of ST Owners on this site are having this problem. Maybe a new set of bearings correctly inserted could last 80,000+ miles. Don't know.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I believe the heat is coming from the gear part of the spline. Transfers to the bearings. The heat created in the differential can be transferred 1000 times faster with steel compared to the oil in the differential. When heat builds bearing steel expands. I think it might be the case?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Funny that this thread popped back up.

After replacing those bearing (that started this thread) I haven't had any more problems with them. I now have 170K on the bike, so that is around 115K on the same bearings! :D

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
What is the opinion on 20k mile old rear wheel bearings removed by a bearing remover (from impact on the inner race) can be put in back or should be replaced? Due to powder coating....Does hammering inside race can cause damage to the bearing ?
If so where can I get cheaper rear wheel bearings? I see the ones Mellow posted about the flange bearings but I couldn't find the wheel ones on the same site... They look same but not sure. Any help please....

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Do not use the ones that were removed... you'll be risking more than bad bearings....

I believe CBR sells them.

They know our bikes and will know what you need.

Top Bottom