New Traffic Laws coming in England

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
There was a demonstration film on the news yesterday about giving way to pedestrians when a driver is turning at a junction .The car was filmed from above at about 2 miles an hour. It must have been filmed on a disused airstrip with no buildings around. Just white lines. At the break neck speed of 2mph they decided a real living human could not risk the dangerous part of walking across the junction so they invented a dummy walking machine with a metal pole inserted in a very uncomfortable place which left the legs free to flap to and fro. I know Benny Hill could have improved on the performance even with a metal pole inserted you know where .
The new style of presentation could provoke a new comedy style for dull traffic changes. How creative do you need to be to invent something so numbingly stupid and also so funny ?

Bike
VStrom 650
Funny thing about it is that that particular rule has always been there in the highway code.
That's what I was thinkin, I know I shouldn't.
Wasn't it someat like, give way to pedestrians already crossing the road.
I wonder how much they paid this expert for the update?
I blame Boris, might as well, everybody else is.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
There was a demonstration film on the news yesterday about giving way to pedestrians when a driver is turning at a junction .The car was filmed from above at about 2 miles an hour. It must have been filmed on a disused airstrip with no buildings around. Just white lines. At the break neck speed of 2mph they decided a real living human could not risk the dangerous part of walking across the junction so they invented a dummy walking machine with a metal pole inserted in a very uncomfortable place which left the legs free to flap to and fro. I know Benny Hill could have improved on the performance even with a metal pole inserted you know where .
The new style of presentation could provoke a new comedy style for dull traffic changes. How creative do you need to be to invent something so numbingly stupid and also so funny ?
Sadly it's a sign of the times. Just when you think that the government can't do anything more stupid, they do...!

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Indeed, seems more just clarifying/rewriting the existing rules in general (although getting more specific in places, like "1.5m when overtaking cyclists").

I wonder what proportion of drivers have actually read the Highway Code since passing their test... (or ever!!)

Wait 'till you see what's coming with speed limits in Wales...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
So many regulations/rules/laws on the books now, if bureaucrats didn't take up micromanagement UK wouldn't need many of them.....and could save a bundle.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Far too sensible, can't possibly do that :) It's all a mess, isn't it!

Reactions: Obo

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
They look great! Would solve some parking problems we have, and could couple them with a radar and have them speed activated... haha

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
They look great! Would solve some parking problems we have, and could couple them with a radar and have them speed activated... haha
There are speed activated speed bumps. Some are complex and some are simple like these non-Newtonian fluid filled ones.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Yeah, I did look into them, but none are type approved (or have any chance of getting type approval) so can't be installed on highway :-( Best we can do is put up signs that blink slightly if they detect an approaching vehicle over a certain threshold *sigh*

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
The Give Way at Junctions to Pedestrians crossing at a turn used to be Rule 14 . It used to be rule 14 but they may have moved the numbers . I worked with a chap that drove lorries (trucks) for years and he had never heard of that rule . Two US visitors (man and wife ) asked me once "Is your Lorry the same as our Truck?" The husband was running a business using "Trucks ". The conversation came about when I showed four people how to get the Ford Transit up the driveway slope when only three wheels were touching . They kept pushing from behind instead sideways to get both back wheels on the ground . The visitors were watching from the window . So they don`t think we`re all daft .

• Haha
Bike
VStrom 650
The speed activated pedestrian crossing/traffic lights in France work well. Too bloody well to be honest.
Upt'North.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
UK puffin crossing lights are set up pretty much opposite to the French ones - vehicles approaching at high speed will actually delay the 'cross' phase. Normally. If the sensors are working. And the crossing equipment is up to spec. And the engineer who set it up did it right... (we've definitely got too many types of ped crossings...)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
In Switzerland the pedestrains have right of way on the roads. Full stop. (Which oddly enough is what you have to do if you are not being observant).

In Spain they have sets of 'redundant' traffic lights. No junction. Just lights. If you are speeding a little way before them, they turn to red and hold you there - to make it faster to go through the town at the correct speed than it is to break the limit.

As a cyclist, I am horrified by the way that a signifcant number of the cycling contingent behave on the roads. I hope that this doesn't mean that they can do exactly as they want at road junctions. But they probably will. "You should have anticipated that they would do something stupid sir." It applies to kids on the pavement, why not cyclists.

I have cycled nearly all of my life and always felt confident in traffic, but I have recently become quite frightened of going out on the roads on a push bike. There's a lot of aggressive behaviour towards cyclists out there. So at the moment I am a covid-free garage 'Zwift' cyclist. Everyone has right of way everywhere in Zwift world. If another cyclist gets in the way you just ride through them. I worried that that may become the norm when they all return from their garages onto the open roads !

The rule about roundabouts is an odd one to justify, I think. I follow the correct motor vehicle line if turning right at a roundabout. I'm in left-hand-side-of-the-road UK, so we go round that is 3/4 of the way round, clockwise) . Signal early, keep right arm out, move out, occupy the centre of my right hand lane until I know the car coming from behind has slowed and I know has seen me, and then follow the centre lane round until I need to get across to the outside, and put left arm out in good time, and look behind at the driver behind to make sure he is not going to pass on my left. Eye contact with the traffic approaching the roundabout on my left. (It is amazing what a difference the eye contact stare makes as to whether or not they ignore you - it works on the motorbike too).

The new rule allows them to go around the outside of the roundabout, which is a very vulnerable position - especially on a two lane roundabout. If you stay on the outside lane on approach, you then have to worry about the vehicles taking an earlier exit from the outside / right hand lane who will drive straight into your right hand side.
But for a vehicle wanting to enter a roundabout as you are about to go across the front of them, they simply cannot see you. They look and will pull out. From their perspective there is nothing there, because you are hidden behind the wide quarter-light strut in that position. And as you continue forward and they continue forward, you remain hidden by the widscreen post - until you are almost on their bonnet.

If I ever dare get back on the road again, I will not be following that suggestion.

If I ever dare get back on the road again I'm going to have to learn how to corner, 'cos at present I can do the downhill alpine pass hairpins at 50mph without leaning over ! It felt really weird the first few days that I did it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom