Newbe owner of a 93 ST1100

New to this forum and owning a 93 ST1100. Not new to motorcycles and any other motorised items. I live in Livonia, MI. Always like the ST or sport touring style bike. This ST has been sitting for years and not real pretty but it is mine now. 58K miles. To me this is my newest cycle. Hey it has a clock on it!! LOL Today I pulled the tank and cleaned it out. Some skanky fuel but the tank was clean. On to the Carburetors next. Just working on it today I have noticed at least 7-8 bolts missing. The 4 for the rear handle are not the correct ones. Counter sunk in the black rubber handle. I had to rethread the one hole. I am aware of the alternator problem. So I will need to see what may be needed. I do not add many accessories to my cycles. One thing I want already is the rear tip over guards. Who has them, any brand names?? This cycle is heavy. Not sure what the spec weight is. I am sure I will have other questions. I would like to get it running soon. Using non E fuel in it. Then in MI it is getting cold so I will need to store it.. Thanks Brian from Michigan93HondaST1101.jpg

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome from Oregon, Brian!

Well you certainly didn't waste any time figuring out how to tear it down. Good job so far. Be prepared for a swarm of STOCers swooping in to answer every question. We've got your back!

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Having bought a 93 about a year and a half ago just a heads up. This bike has lots of quirks. Most are just that nothing major. The people hear are amazing. Enjoy the bike I love mine. Welcome.

OP
OP
snowworks
Oh and unfortunately, tip over bars in the rear, in front of the cases, are virtually non-existent for the 1100. It lacks a robust mounting point for them unlike the 1300.

Here's a thread that touches on it. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/1100-tip-over-bars.40103/
Thanks for the link on the bars for the 1100. Sounds like it may not be to much of a problem on the 1100. And there is no good way to mount them. My main concern was just pushing it around and falling over. .

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome - the only 'rear tip over bars' I am aware of for the ST1100 were the ones I've seen for police models.
For the alternator upgrade you will need a plate and an alternator.
I don't know if the feller who was selling the plates recently still has any.
I have a new in the box 40 amp Chinese alternator I would sell but I have no idea as to the reliability of the Chinese versions so it would be 'as is'.

OP
OP
snowworks
Welcome - the only 'rear tip over bars' I am aware of for the ST1100 were the ones I've seen for police models.
For the alternator upgrade you will need a plate and an alternator.
I don't know if the feller who was selling the plates recently still has any.
I have a new in the box 40 amp Chinese alternator I would sell but I have no idea as to the reliability of the Chinese versions so it would be 'as is'.
Thanks!! I did have it running today and put a volt meter on the battery while running and it is not charging. Further checking needed. But the alternator is leaking oil. I see that is a problem on the early ST. So your 40 amp that is for the early ST 1990-95?? Thanks

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The 40 A is the one used in the later models, I believe 1997- on. It is compatible with the earlier models (my 94 was converted by the previous owner) as a replacement for the leaking 28A units but as Uncle Phil noted, there is a specific mounting plate needed for the conversion.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
The '96 models also had the 40A model. Do a search in these two forums and you'll find a bunch of threads. The big don't seems to be don't try and seat the unit using the mounting bolts or you'll break off one or more of the plate's mounts. The plates are no longer available from Honda, so you'll either need one manufactured by someone, or you'll need a used unit. There is a MIC version of the alternator if you don't want to spend buying a Honda. Sounds like they work fine, but it's a lot of stuff to remove to get in there if not so you'll need to weigh your choices. I don't recall if all the other parts are still available, and the bearing is a strange size, so you may want to check unless you can find a complete unit from a breaker.

Top Bottom