No-Mar Tire Changer

STOC #
(Let me start off by saying I didn't have time to take picts but, they will follow after STAR07 and NCSTOC)

I had my first chance to use my No-Mar tire changer on Saturday. As a novice tire changer my first tire was removed and replaced in under 10 mins with very little sweating. You could barely even tell where the rim had been clamped (only displaced brake dust). I guess that's why they call it No-Mar. Since I am floor space limited right now, I used their reciever hitch adapter (great for track days and friends house's).

With their supplied DVD (you can see everything here: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/ ) I was able to assemble the unit (15 mins maximum) and change a front tire. My only issue was, I didn't watch the instal video as close as I should have. I had a little difficulty getting the last bead over the rim. When I started having a problem I reviewed the video and determined that I was trying to get the wrong bead into the drop in the rim (Silly Neil). Back out to the changer with my new knowledge and the last bead was over the rim in a few moments (damn those directions ;+}).

I also balanced my tire/rim with their static balancer and then had it checked a local shop with their spin balancer and static balancer. Their equipment agreed with my balance.

The only down side to the whole experience is the cash out lay of $900 for the "Classic" model kit. With three tire changes a year, it will take me a few years to recover the cost. My friends will really appreciate my purchase and the convienance of not having to run 30-60 mins to a shop, is really the bottom line for me. What once took 3 hours, now takes me 30 mins. max! If you factor in that time to the equation then, my ROI will be in under 2 years.

My rating on this is:
+ powder coating
+ equipment design
+ equipment function
++ ease of use
++ instructions

- cost.​

If your ever in the Nashville area, give me ashout and we can get those tires changed now!

Later
Neil S.

Byron

STOC #
Neil,

Doesn't that feeling of being self sufficient feel GREAT!

I don't know what wheel weights you are using but here is what I've done. BMW (motorcycles) has tape weights in 5 gm increments. The tape used peels off in one piece, unlike the white tape you find on generic weights. They aren't cheap, over $2 each, but they can be made reusable. When you take off the weights save them and clean off the old tape. Stop by your local parts store and pick up some 1/2" molding tape. Cut to length, apply to weight and trim as needed easily with scissors. The molding tape will stick just fine and peel off like the BMW tape.

Their receiver hitch option is nice for the space challenged among us. :)

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
Byron:

That is a good suggestion on re-using the weights. This "kit" has the adhesive weights that you trim to size.

Like I said, by having the tire changer I not only save $'s but, I save 2-3 hours of my time, per wheel, by not having to transport the wheels somewhere else (not to mention Gas$).

Neil S.

Byron

STOC #
Neil,

I also forgot to mention that to get the tape weights off the wheels you will need a non-marring tool. I took an old toothbrush and put the handle end to a grinding wheel to form a bevel. It doesn't mar the wheel and is able to get under the weight and help pry/wedge them off.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have the best option:

Byron has come over to my digs and changed tires for me a couple or nine times with his no-mar.

It only costs me a dinner and some imperial stout.

gonzo

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
hey neil

i'll take you up on that No-Mar Tire Changer to help you get it paid for!! how much you chargin' us good buddies????

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I guess I was the first to use Neil's No-Mar to take my tire off when I was in need on the way back from Dallas. Because the tire was ruined we just took the wheel to Sloan's Honda and had them put on a new tire. Thanks again Neil!!!

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Hey neil, I got a JR. model No-Mar Tire Changer too. Works great on Sportbike tires (soft). The tires on the ST are a differant story. I guess I need to study the instructional video some more. I started tearing the rear tire tring to get it on, I ended up taking it to the bike shop and got them to put it on, bummer.
Any advise other that watching the video on the rear tire installation!
:03biker:
I bought the JR Pro late last summer. This past fall, I replaced a few FJR rear's and they about kicked my butt.

NoMar has a display at the Chicago MC show and I got a hands on demonstration straight from the owners. I was able to chew on his ear for about 20 minutes and got a lot of helpful info.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
so you fellas are sayin' that even with the no-mar gettin' the rear tire off and a new one on is still a challenging task???? sounds like i have a lot to look forward to when i venture into my first try with my modified harbor freight in a couple months or so. what particularly seems to be the biggest problem?

Byron

STOC #
so you fellas are sayin' that even with the no-mar gettin' the rear tire off and a new one on is still a challenging task???? sounds like i have a lot to look forward to when i venture into my first try with my modified harbor freight in a couple months or so. what particularly seems to be the biggest problem?
I think the problem is lack of experience along with stiffer tires. When you watch the demo's and video's they usually use a sport of softer tire which is easier to deal with. They also have experience with the the equipment.

The ST wheels do not have deep valley which means that tire placement is more critical during the mounting process. It's getting that last few inches of the tire over the edge of the wheel. When mounting my Avon's I can get by using only a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol as a lube. When I mount some of the stiffer tires like the Battleax or Metzler's I use the No-Mar gel lube.

Some tires are just a little more challenging than others. :)

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
You guys haven't lived until you mount a Wing rear tire. NoMar has special clamps for the rear wheel of a Wing because the tire has such stiff side walls.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
Mac:
Your tire was probably the 7 or 8th tire changed. Even without my help you seemed to not have any problem ( 2 weeks post-op from hernia and Gall bladder surgery). From what I have seen/ heard the Goldwing tires do require some special clamps.

I have found ST tires to be pretty darn easy when you follow No-Mars instructions.

Time4Work
Neil S.

STOC #
what my friend did was attached a can to his machine. he does almost everyones now. He does charge but everyone throws something in the can when he does the tires. 20 bucks a wheel is about average. As the money builds he buys more tools. This works out well for everyone.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You guys haven't lived until you mount a Wing rear tire. NoMar has special clamps for the rear wheel of a Wing because the tire has such stiff side walls.
I think the Bridgestone BT020F is harder than the Wing tires. I can say that because I have done at least one Wing rear tire change and it was a walk in the park next to the BT020F. I don't know if the tire I did was from the GL1800 or GL1500 though.

If there is anyone near St. Louis that needs some new BT020F (OEM) tires mounted? it would be good if you could get No-Mar to film a video of those being mounted.

Tim :03biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm thinking I may start saving up for one of these.

It would be great to change tires for anyone local.. Also, I think there's an impending TX TechSTOC looming and it would be nice to have one of these for that.

Question, how far does the bar fly when it slips?

Top Bottom