Not easy to find a replacement tire!!

Bike
2004 Honda ST 1300A
So, I need to change the front tire so I tried to find the same tire I have on my ST now (Bridgestone T30F) but no luck. Tried to find a T31 or T32 which I think are the next versions of the T30 (maybe I am wrong??!!) ...not able to find it anywhere....Anyways, all I can find is on Fortnine the below choices...I was told that I could not mix makers for the front and the rear so I plan to change both. I did find a Bridgestone which seems to be like the tires that were used by Honda at the time (OEM)...not sure of that either. Which one would you choose?

• Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 (F-spec)
  • Dunlop RoadSmart III
  • Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
Let me know your thoughts. I think the Bridgestone looks OK unless you guys think it is not a good tire.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michel

Last edited:
Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Tire threads are like oil threads, you are going to get lots of opinions, here's mine! I am running the Dunlop roadmaster 3 on the front and a roadmaster 2 on the rear, the front has over 12000 miles on it and is still serviceable, the rear has over 13000 miles on it and is soon to be replaced with a road smart 3. Dennis Kirk carries these tires and many others for the ST at the best prices I have found.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You can mix brands of tires and it's done all the time. As long as the tire meets the requirements of size, speed and load rating you are good.

The Bridgestone BT-020F would probably be my choice. It's the OEM fitment for the ST1300.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Have you tried Pete's in Montreal? Usually by phone is the best way to get accurate details of stock
I see a T31 with the 120/70 18 front on his site right now.

Just in case, I will throw my 2 cents. I have a Michelin RP3 on the front and a Mezeler Roadtec Z6 on the rear. Have mixed and matched all the time for thousands of happy miles.

Bike
VStrom 650
There were no Bridgestones in the UK either a couple of months ago when my 11 was due for a change. I ended up going Avon Spirit ST f and r.
I too would go with the Bridgestone option but it'll be nowhere near as good as the 30.
Upt'North.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like the
but some don't, including @Igofar because he said they puncture too easily. Well, great -- but he told me that, AFTER I bought a pair, and AFTER I punctured it with <200 miles on it.
Thanks a lot, for that! :rofl1:
The front is still intact, and I plan to do another repair attempt on the rear, this time with RideOn tire sealant inside.

So, not only do I like 'em, here's why:
  • Super-sticky, wet or dry
  • Confidence-inspiring
  • Neutral turn-in
  • The GT designation makes me believe I'm using stiffer sidewalls, supposedly an advantage on the heavy ST1300
    The price was right, IIRC they're from Ron Ayers at the time of purchase

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I like the
but some don't, including @Igofar because he said they puncture too easily. Well, great -- but he told me that, AFTER I bought a pair, and AFTER I punctured it with <200 miles on it.
Thanks a lot, for that! :rofl1:
The front is still intact, and I plan to do another repair attempt on the rear, this time with RideOn tire sealant inside.

So, not only do I like 'em, here's why:
  • Super-sticky, wet or dry
  • Confidence-inspiring
  • Neutral turn-in
  • The GT designation makes me believe I'm using stiffer sidewalls, supposedly an advantage on the heavy ST1300
    The price was right, IIRC they're from Ron Ayers at the time of purchase
Those are the same tires that I've had on my bike for the last 3 sets. You mention neutral turn-in and yet my bike feels like it wants to stand back up and I need to keep constant pressure on the bar to maintain lean. Do you have any thoughts on this? Is it maybe just my bike or something in the way I have it set up?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It could be as simple as riding styles, I suppose. At the same time, the reasons can be complex and nuanced.
But yes, the set up, as in suspension, could very well be a factor. Have you dialed in your sag yet? Do you prefer a tighter setup, or do you like it loose and comfy? (Both are relative, after all.)
I've always wondered about moto-journalists (the "pros") when reviewing m/c tires... they use terms that I can understand, but since I rarely do track days (it costs $$$, and I don't have a dedicated track bike, much less the horror of wadding up my daily rider, etc.) I always thought, "what kind of nerves do they have in their arses, that they can feel the sensations which they describe?" Or is it that these riders truly are pushing the tires to the very limits, which most (smart) street riders don't.
I have, I'm sure, at the very least a quarter-million miles on a variety of motors and a variety of tires, and while I'm an analytical personality, I don't feel the differences that the reviewers often write about, certainly not with the conviction they seem to have. I have feeling and sensation through my hands and feet, and the inner ear / equilibrium but my experiences in these matters are my own.
So it could also come down to personal preference due to a whole legion of disparate, extremely subjective criteria.
In my remarks which you quoted above, it is my "feeling" that these particular tires turn in easily, maintain lean angle without further input, are predictable, and do not oversteer or understeer. That's what I mean when I say "neutral."
It also lends to a "predicable" behavior, at least to me. They feel consistent in their feedback from the road, whether rough and patched, or smooth. I don't "push" them or the bike when I have sketchy traction, but I don't feel I need to back off a whole lot even riding in the rain, which I do regularly. Especially as it's been a much wetter summer than is usual in Alabama.
You bring up a very good observation - I am not everyone, and everyone is not just like me in all respects.
That's also why we have the back-and-forth in the periodic "what's the best tire" threads that entertain us all.
Still, after having typed all this, I feel I haven't really answered your question.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I had a hard time finding a Shinko Verge front tire for my bike. All the suppliers are back ordered in the ST size. I ordered a Shinko Raven for the back as well. Also ordered spare brake pads and other consumables. My tires are still good but I don't want to get stuck without a replacement in the future.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Those are the same tires that I've had on my bike for the last 3 sets. You mention neutral turn-in and yet my bike feels like it wants to stand back up and I need to keep constant pressure on the bar to maintain lean. Do you have any thoughts on this? Is it maybe just my bike or something in the way I have it set up?
Try raising the rear suspension. Doing that made a huge improvement on my 1100.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My 13 is absolutely neutral on Road 4's and Road 5's. You can just about lean it in to a turn and let go and it will stay there. Up until the rear wears down a bit and gets squared off. Then it wants to stand up.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
It could be as simple as riding styles, I suppose. At the same time, the reasons can be complex and nuanced.
But yes, the set up, as in suspension, could very well be a factor. Have you dialed in your sag yet? Do you prefer a tighter setup, or do you like it loose and comfy? (Both are relative, after all.)
I've always wondered about moto-journalists (the "pros") when reviewing m/c tires... they use terms that I can understand, but since I rarely do track days (it costs $$$, and I don't have a dedicated track bike, much less the horror of wadding up my daily rider, etc.) I always thought, "what kind of nerves do they have in their arses, that they can feel the sensations which they describe?" Or is it that these riders truly are pushing the tires to the very limits, which most (smart) street riders don't.
I have, I'm sure, at the very least a quarter-million miles on a variety of motors and a variety of tires, and while I'm an analytical personality, I don't feel the differences that the reviewers often write about, certainly not with the conviction they seem to have. I have feeling and sensation through my hands and feet, and the inner ear / equilibrium but my experiences in these matters are my own.
So it could also come down to personal preference due to a whole legion of disparate, extremely subjective criteria.
In my remarks which you quoted above, it is my "feeling" that these particular tires turn in easily, maintain lean angle without further input, are predictable, and do not oversteer or understeer. That's what I mean when I say "neutral."
It also lends to a "predicable" behavior, at least to me. They feel consistent in their feedback from the road, whether rough and patched, or smooth. I don't "push" them or the bike when I have sketchy traction, but I don't feel I need to back off a whole lot even riding in the rain, which I do regularly. Especially as it's been a much wetter summer than is usual in Alabama.
You bring up a very good observation - I am not everyone, and everyone is not just like me in all respects.
That's also why we have the back-and-forth in the periodic "what's the best tire" threads that entertain us all.
Still, after having typed all this, I feel I haven't really answered your question.
I find it funny that you talk about the writers and feeling the handling in there arses. I have for years driven my Mustangs and motorcycles not only by my the sound, and feeling in my hands and feet but also by the feeling in my butt. Sounds crazy but I can feel everything there especially traction. As for tires my 1100 came with a set of new Metzler Lazertec tires. I have found them to be good servicable tires so far however I am not a fan of them in the wet weather (I find them slippery).

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Does this saddle make my butt look big?
Maybe I'm just a fat-arse.
But actually, you prove my point. We can experience feedback at different levels, or to different degrees.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I had found that my 1100 likes you to have relaxed posture. If I am riding all tight, the bike is fighting me the whole way, but when I'm loose and relaxed the bike is more than happy to lean over and just stay there. Also getting your bike set up for your riding style makes a huge difference.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Not to complicate it, there is some sage advice here, but use. What will you do with the bike for next 10k miles? If you go from coffee shop to coffee shop running the twisties, you may want an aggressive tread (me Road 5s). If your going to load up the camping gear and slab it out to the Pacific and back, maybe a harder touring tire (me Road Attack 3 GT) If your just going to put it in the garage for the next 9 months not sure it will matter. Your use and riding style should be a factor in choosing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I usually run a BStone B20 Bias (for the BMW KLT1200) on the rear and a 'flavor of the month' BStone radial on the front (20,30,31,,, but I am on a ST1100).
The ST1100 ABSII front is the same size as the ST1300 and the ST1100 rear is 160/70 vs ST1300 170/60 (which I have ran before).
I'm running a Commander II on the rear of one and a PR4 on the front but I have not been real impressed with them as being a lot better than the BStones.
BStone makes good tires at a reasonable price, Michelin makes a good tire - but at a higher price.
Bias on the back gives me good rear tire mileage, radial on the front gives me good handling.
My 'theory' (which could be wrong) is that most of the handling is in the front anyway and the rear just sort of follows along. :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vagabond327
Bike
2004 Honda ST 1300A
Have you tried Pete's in Montreal? Usually by phone is the best way to get accurate details of stock
I see a T31 with the 120/70 18 front on his site right now.

Just in case, I will throw my 2 cents. I have a Michelin RP3 on the front and a Mezeler Roadtec Z6 on the rear. Have mixed and matched all the time for thousands of happy miles.
Thanks!! I will check with them to see what they have...thanks!!

Top Bottom