NT1100 Pictures

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Had my ST 1300 for a decade and 110,000 miles. Sold it bought an FJR. Kept it 2 years and just under 40,000 miles. Wife quit riding, so I thought I needed less... less weight, less power, you know less of everything, so traded the FJR in on a 2021 NC 750X DCT. 5 months and 6000 miles later I love the NC DCT but at the same time, I miss the power, the wind protection, the cruise control (and the shaft) of the bigger bikes. This bike might be a good compromise. Its only about 40 pounds or so heavier than the NC and comes so nicely equipped. Wish it had a shaft, but can live with a chain. Looking forward to a test sit, and if Im tall enough a test ride.

Torn though, because the NC is really doing everything I'm asking of it, including solo touring while returning an ave of 74 mpg. Do I really need more again? Lol

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
A good replacement for the ST1100 and ST1300. I've owned a NC700 DCT and an Africa Twin DCT and would like to have the DCT version of the NC1100.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... isn't that around the same torque as the ST11 at around the same RPM, not forgetting that the available torque hasn't got to work so hard with a lot less mass to move.
ST1100 has max torque already at 4200rpm, max output at 6500rpm...
The V4 however pulls from 1200rpm onward... and has a work cycle with every rotation, a (parallel) twin fires only every other revolution...
My GF's V2 NT700 is a quite rough "thumper" in anything below ~2500rpm...

However does a final drive cause about 15% loss... besides weight issues probably the main reason for the renaissance of the chain drive, fighting over every single gram of CO², they simply cannot "afford"the added weight nor the losses by hypoid gears...

Bike
VStrom 650
The V4 however pulls from 1200rpm onward... and has a work cycle with every rotation, a (parallel) twin fires only every other revolution...

However does a final drive cause about 15% loss... besides weight issues probably the main reason for the renaissance of the chain drive, fighting over every single gram of CO², they simply cannot "afford"the added weight nor the losses by hypoid gears...
I haven't seen the torque chart for the NT1100 yet, so who knows what it'll look like.
But you make a valid point about driveline losses. It's what is put on the tarmac that really matters.
Upt'North.

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Has anyone seen a video on the windscreen operation? Is it power or manual? All I've seen is that it is "five position adjustable", which to me implies manual adjustment. The africa twin has cornering lights right? How about the NT1100? Also everything seams geared toward the European market. No indications for North America, so I'm inclined to think the NT1100 is going to be "N"ot "T"oday for us in the USA. I would be very interested to see a white one outfitted for police use though!

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Has anyone seen a video on the windscreen operation? Is it power or manual? All I've seen is that it is "five position adjustable", which to me implies manual adjustment. The africa twin has cornering lights right? How about the NT1100? Also everything seams geared toward the European market. No indications for North America, so I'm inclined to think the NT1100 is going to be "N"ot "T"oday for us in the USA. I would be very interested to see a white one outfitted for police use though!
The VFR1200X had a 5 position manually adjusted screen, really was very easy to use on the move so possibly something similar.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The original NT 700V had a 5 position manual adjust wind shield. I suspect this bike also to cut weight and cost.

SAM_2300.JPGSAM_2311.JPG

Bike
VStrom 650
The original NT 700V had a 5 position manual adjust wind shield. I suspect this bike also to cut weight and cost.

SAM_2300.JPGSAM_2311.JPG
That picture is enlightening Chuck. The 700 is quite imposing next to the 13. It could be a trick of the camera but it appears quite formidable. It's a pity Honda didn't give it a little more go, but with the NT11 perhaps they have.
Thanks for posting.
Upt'North.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
That picture is enlightening Chuck. The 700 is quite imposing next to the 13. It could be a trick of the camera but it appears quite formidable. It's a pity Honda didn't give it a little more go, but with the NT11 perhaps they have.
Thanks for posting.
Upt'North.
The NT is setting on my HF lift which gives it 7 more inches in height. Plus the NT is in the foreground. If the NT had the VFR800's motor it would have been a great little bike. I don't have either of the bikes anymore.

Bike
VStrom 650
The NT is setting on my HF lift which gives it 7 more inches in height. Plus the NT is in the foreground. If the NT had the VFR800's motor it would have been a great little bike. I don't have either of the bikes anymore.
That explains it then.
I saw the Versys on your bike list.
Upt'North.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A contemporary review that included a dyno chart places peak torque of the ST11 above 5500 rpm, one published spec list from 1991 places max torque at 6000 rpm. The NT700 engine dates from the early 1980s and relied on a narrow vee angle and offset crankpins to reduce primary and secondary vibrations as it does not have a counterbalance shaft like the parallel twin 1000 & 1100 engine in the Africa Twin and most likely in the NT1100. The old NT700 is a bit of a shaker at both low and high rpms and is probably not a good comparison to the modern counterbalanced Honda parallel twin. Honda's use of a 270 degree crankshaft in their modern parallel twins mimics the power output feel of a V twin but counter balancers remove primary and secondary vibrations. In the Africa Twin the 1000 motor's max torque appears at 5900 and the 1100's max is at 6300 with 85% of peak torque starting at less than 2500 rpm.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Regarding torque. After owning a number of larger engined bikes over the years I still find the Pan (1100) one of the most (if not the most) tactile and almost telepathic to ride especially at lower speeds. No matter how nadgery the road may be the slightest twist of the throttle and it just picks up instantly and pulls from nothing and sort of winds out. I have mused over it many times, is it because of the carbs (rather than fuel injection?), it is because there is no traction control or any other safety aid? in other words just raw and analogue. Is it because of the direct shaft drive (no slop a-la chain)? Maybe all those things. I have said it a few times but it’s true there is nothing (new) available today that I have found to compete. Nothing wrong with a chain like the NT1100 but personally I don’t want one, shaft drive is a deal breaker.

Bike
VStrom 650
Regarding torque. After owning a number of larger engined bikes over the years I still find the Pan (1100) one of the most (if not the most) tactile and almost telepathic to ride especially at lower speeds. No matter how nadgery the road may be the slightest twist of the throttle and it just picks up instantly and pulls from nothing and sort of winds out. I have mused over it many times, is it because of the carbs (rather than fuel injection?), it is because there is no traction control or any other safety aid? in other words just raw and analogue. Is it because of the direct shaft drive (no slop a-la chain)? Maybe all those things. I have said it a few times but it’s true there is nothing (new) available today that I have found to compete. Nothing wrong with a chain like the NT1100 but personally I don’t want one, shaft drive is a deal breaker.
I think they just got it right Bee. I think the fuel injection issue you raised is a strange one. Since it was first introduced on motorcycles just about every test report I've read has criticised the fuel injection. I've only owned one Honda with fuel injection, which incidentally was also chain final drive, on that bike it was OK, with no surprises. I don't know what your experience is Bee of modern chain drive bikes but they have come on a long way since the slop a lop a slop days. But a reliable sealed for life diff with simple wheel removal and re-fitment would be good. Many have tried but more have failed unfortunately.
Upt'North.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe it's commonly accepted that the throttle response and rideability of first generation fuel injected bikes was inferior to carbureted bikes but let's remember that those bikes were designed in the late 90s/early 2000s or over 20 years ago and the advance of the technology was inevitable. There are lots of fuel injected bikes since then that possess superb fueling as well as a few that do not.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
I think they just got it right Bee. I think the fuel injection issue you raised is a strange one. Since it was first introduced on motorcycles just about every test report I've read has criticised the fuel injection. I've only owned one Honda with fuel injection, which incidentally was also chain final drive, on that bike it was OK, with no surprises. I don't know what your experience is Bee of modern chain drive bikes but they have come on a long way since the slop a lop a slop days. But a reliable sealed for life diff with simple wheel removal and re-fitment would be good. Many have tried but more have failed unfortunately.
Upt'North.
Hiya Upt’North. I don’t disagree, there are many excellent bikes (with and without chain drive) it’s just for me I haven’t found one that has that tactile feeling my Pan does. Modern stuff is always trying to be refined, and refined and refined which on one hand is a good thing but on the other it dials out all sensations. A bit like a vinyl record versus a CD. That’s what I’m trying to say.

Bike
2005 ST13
It will be a success if there's a police version. Simple, efficient, lighter weight, lower maintenance costs over long period

Top Bottom