Odd Wear on Rear Tire?

have finally reached 6000 miles on my original tires from 2015
Personally, I'm NOT shocked.

Tires that are 8 years old are very unpredictable. I would replace any tire, on any vehicle, that's over 4 years old, especially a bike. Check the manufacturer time stamp when it was made.

Tires have both a mileage prediction lifespan and time lifespan - always consider both, ESPECIALLY on a bike.

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Thank you all for the observations, suggestions and shame. ;)

This one I bought new in November 2020, but it was a "new in crate special", with the 2015 tires already installed. Granted, I am clocking close to 3000 2000 miles a year, which isn't much - but considering across 4 vehicles combined mileage is 12,000 a year - it is somewhat significant. Is that enough excuses for slight redemption? I can always use the kids as an excuse as Mellow pointed out, although, truth be told that is why I bought the motorcycle. ;)

I actually ordered tires within a year of buying, but I didn't want to swap them out because the old tires still looked and felt good. The "feel" has changed now, so I will be swapping them sooner rather than later.

Regarding the tire pressure. I ride most days to work (5 miles one way), I give them a good kick in the morning when I check my lights - but honestly when I do my "swerve and brake check" pulling on to the street out of my driveway I get to feel how spongy (or not) and note to check them that evening if they feel low. Normally, that is every 4-6 weeks, normally they are 5-8 psi low. If I were commuting 40 miles each way in heavy traffic I may invest in TPMS sensors, but then again - with heavy traffic I wouldn't be commuting on the bike. Everyone has their own risk versus reward metric, I guess.

Edited - can't even math you have me so flustered . ;)

Ryan

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I don’t think your wear pattern is unusual Here is a pic of mine at over 10,000 miles and as old as yours. You can see the worn out left side compared to right. It is a Metzler Roadtec Z6. It felt great even in the rain. I was surprised how worn it was when I took it off in the spring.
but we don’t have the Texas heat up here so degradation of rubber not as bad.
IMG_3777.jpeg

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Thanks for your input!
Ryan
Everyone is more aggressive on LH turns,,, btw,,, at least from the tires perspective. This is because we are RH side of the road drivers here. It's not normal road crown,,, which causes minimal wear. It's just that we put down more power and distance on LH cornering. Everyone powerslides to some degree,,, whether you are on a bicycle,, or are a flat track dirtbike racer. From your pictures,,, I would have said,, "lots of silica in those dual compound tires" !! But 8 years old,,, tire builders were just getting good at dual compound back then,,, and started out adding pumice for the same effect. That rubber is getting hard,,, so time for a change anyway. My Fobo-2 tpms gives me great feedback on tire pressure and temperature. One really hot day this July,, I had my rear pressure alarm go off (it's bluetoothed into my helmet),,, as it's alarm limit was set at 52psi. It went off near the end of a long fast bend in the road. I have also cooked a rear tire once,, by riding with really full bags,, and a passenger,, over a long distance. Otherwise,,, I typically get 18-20k km's on a premium rear tire. Less on the front. Good that you are monitoring your tires closely,,, cheers,,, CAt'

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I am also a fan of the FOBO.
It appears quite a few are fans of the FOBO from my 10 minute search of the site. I have a hard time always fighting with my bluetooth connections, *I think* I would prefer an external screen on the dash, does FOBO make one? Or is the Sykik preferred for that?

Or are the little screens a waste of time because you can't see them anyway and I just need to buy what everyone is recommending and we know works? ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It appears quite a few are fans of the FOBO from my 10 minute search of the site. I have a hard time always fighting with my bluetooth connections, *I think* I would prefer an external screen on the dash, does FOBO make one? Or is the Sykik preferred for that?

Or are the little screens a waste of time because you can't see them anyway and I just need to buy what everyone is recommending and we know works? ;)
The external ones are fine and readable enough.

Top Bottom