Odd Wear on Rear Tire?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The main function of the TPMS is to notify you of quick air loss, most of them are off a little as far as accuracy, like battery voltage monitors, so alerting/flashing when they loose pressure beyond a certain range is where they are good to help you slow down during a flat.

For your purpose, you could just see what the reading is as you take off and the motion activates them and shows the current pressure before the tires heat up. But, just checking the pressure manually every other day should be good enough. The TPMS need motion so I have used them and spun the back wheel and also the front to wake them up but probably less effort to just check the tire pressure manually anyway.

Basically, 2 different things going on, 1) quick deflation alert 2) COLD tire pressure.

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Basically, 2 different things going on, 1) quick deflation alert 2) COLD tire pressure.
Well. TPMS was my lazy solution of checking cold tire pressure! You really want me crawling around, fumbling in the dark, trying to find that valve stem each morning, dont-cha? ;)

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
It appears quite a few are fans of the FOBO from my 10 minute search of the site. I have a hard time always fighting with my bluetooth connections, *I think* I would prefer an external screen on the dash, does FOBO make one? Or is the Sykik preferred for that?

Or are the little screens a waste of time because you can't see them anyway and I just need to buy what everyone is recommending and we know works? ;)
LOL, probably the latter. I usually check it in the morning and if it's super hot out while riding. I installed the T valves and just look for piece of mind rather than consent status checks. I did that the first few months and "one more thing" was not what I was going for. I have an Apple phone and have not had to reconnect since purchase over a year ago. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I see its 2 psi light and wait to put in 2psi til the first gas stop. Frankly I'm lazy and pulling it up on the phone is easier than kneeling down and fiddling.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well. TPMS was my lazy solution of checking cold tire pressure! You really want me crawling around, fumbling in the dark, trying to find that valve stem each morning, dont-cha? ;)
Yes.... Yes I do...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
SYKIK 300 on each of my bikes. The screens are easily read but I did have to fabricate a mount location for the RT and Goldwing and the ST before that.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recommend tee stems to accommodate the TPMS sensors. You can monitor the TPMS while you add air.

1692647767116.jpeg
You can also use a gauge to check the air pressure and not have to look at these things all the rest of the time.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You can also use a gauge to check the air pressure and not have to look at these things all the rest of the time.
To each their own, of course, but I can barely see the stems when I'm looking for them, and I certainly cannot see them from the saddle, so I can live with them.

As a function-over-form kinda guy, I'll take the convenience over the looks. It's hard enough for me to get on the ground and back up when I know the tires need air.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
Ryan B,

If you lose 5 to 8 psi in 5 to 6 weeks, checking them weekly would probably limit the loss to less than 2 psi a week. That would keep the tires at a decent pressure for the week, likely preventing wear due to low pressure.

Neal

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ryan B,

If you lose 5 to 8 psi in 5 to 6 weeks, checking them weekly would probably limit the loss to less than 2 psi a week. That would keep the tires at a decent pressure for the week, likely preventing wear due to low pressure.

Neal
Oh come on!... I want him crawling on the ground checking every morning.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
re the tpms,,, I find the information that fobo offers to be interesting,,, and I check it while riding, fairly often. The phone app is always running in the background anyway. The bluetooth connections to my phone,,, and then from the phone to my helmet work flawlessly. So it's all pretty user friendly. I do have the T-stems,, and highly recommend those. Balance your tires with the complete tpms in place,,, btw. I do think the fobo tpms sensors very slowly leak air. Like,, maybe .5 to 1psi per week. But the T-stems make it easy to top up a tire. I run 44-42 in both tires quite easily,,, cheers,, CAt'

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Just a quick follow up on this thread:

I installed Michelin PR4s (I think) that I bought a couple of years ago. Removal of the rear Battleax was... interesting. The sidewall had no give. I don't know if that is typical or just because it was a 10 year old tire. I was sore for 4 days, I really, really needed a tire machine. ;) I almost gave up and went to the motorcycle shop, but after 4 hours my stubborn won out. Michelin went on with nearly zero fuss.

I added the tee stems that Larry Fine recommended. Thank you by the way, I love them! I can actually use my normal length air chuck with them. I added the Sykik Rider SRTP300 to the top of the tee and this model has the little screen that mounts to the dash. I just rode around the neighborhood, but I like it so far. I played around with deflating and inflating the tires, it is about 2 seconds behind.

Also, I balanced each tire with 1oz of Ride-On balancing beads. That is pretty cool. I have the static balancer and normal weights that I did my Moto Guzzi with, but the Ride-On beads seem to be working great. I will report back if there are any issues associated with this or any funny vibrations.

Ryan

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Does it sound like maracas when you're riding?
Actually, after I reinstalled the front tire, I was spinning it to make sure everything was aligned correctly and I thought the new tire was brushing against the mud guard. After rocking it back and forth, I realized it was the beads. More like sand in a rolling plastic cup than maracas.

Top Bottom