OIL leak out of water pump weep hole!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I took off my Tupperware for the first time (new 06 7k miles) and found the same dirt as the first pic in this post: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45076

I also attributed it to road dirt/riding in the rain. I cleaned it all off and since running the bike a few times there is oil at the weep hole! It's not running out yet but you can see it at the opening. I twirled a small piece of paper towel into the hole and definitely got oil, not coolant.

So now what??

You can remove your right side plastic bumper cover and look with a flashlight and see your weep hole. How's yours look?

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I was getting coolant and road grime coming out of the rectangular opening which is the drain channel from the vee at the top of the engine and also from the waterpump cover O-ring. Nothing out of the small round hole which is the seal weep. I have over 40K kms on the bike now and have had a couple of minor coolant leaks at hose joints which have dribbled down through the channel over time combining with road grime to look similar to the crap in your picture. I did suspect the waterpump cover O-ring at one point but have tested the bike since and it seems OK at this point....time will tell.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
In a worst case scenario, you have a crack in your engine somewhere which is allowing oil to mix with your coolant.

In a best case scenario, it could be coolant mixed with grime.

However, I have no reason to doubt you when you say it's definitely oil. I also had seeping from the weep hole, and found oil pooling on the bottom of my oil pan.

Turns out my coolant was dripping from the thermostat area, and the oil was coming from a bad seal on the oil pan.

If it's oil in your pump, though, I'm not sure where you'd start. Flush your coolant out and check it? Pull the pump and check the mechanical seal?

I'm not a mechanic, and I hardly know the business end of a wrench. Hopefully someone here knows. We're getting lots of weep-hole stories lately. :radleak:

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've studied the manual and it looks like the same seal that is the mechanical seal also seals the engine oil inside. The pump is driven from inside.

I'll say again it's interesting that for 08 they hooked a hose to where the weep hole is and it runs to the bottom of the bike. Must of had too many water pump seals under warranty. It would take a gusher of fluid coming out of a hose under the bike before you'd notice it. Much easier to see a trail of dirt at the weep hole.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, of course it's still under warranty. I REALLY don't want to bring it to the shop EVER.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I've studied the manual and it looks like the same seal that is the mechanical seal also seals the engine oil inside. The pump is driven from inside.

I'll say again it's interesting that for 08 they hooked a hose to where the weep hole is and it runs to the bottom of the bike. Must of had too many water pump seals under warranty. It would take a gusher of fluid coming out of a hose under the bike before you'd notice it. Much easier to see a trail of dirt at the weep hole.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, of course it's still under warranty. I REALLY don't want to bring it to the shop EVER.
I think there is a bearing, an oil seal then a mechanical water seal on the pump shaft.
The weep hole is in between the oil seal and mechanical seal, so you could get either coolant or oil or both coming out of that small weep hole.
I am with you in not letting the dealer touch your bike but it could get expensive if it is a water pump that needs replacing.
Interesting about that hose on the 08's... they must be having a lot of issues with those seals.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
HOLD UP!!!

There is a hole at the top of the engine that is not on any schematic that will cause this issue.

Honda says to seal the hole with a plug using Honda Bond, which works 98% of the time, but if you have a bike like mine...it doesn't.

The hole is under the alternator at the top of the block and when the shop that fixed mine (after a month) used a Can-Am soft seal plug to eliminate the issue.

If you are getting oil out of the weep hole at the bottom I will bet money this is the issue.

The oil pools at the top of the block until the only way out if forward, under the cover and out that hole.

Take a close look, Is what you see comeing from the small round hole or the squarish hole below the round. You need to wipe the area dry,run the bike, and check again.:03biker:

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Take a close look, Is what you see comeing from the small round hole or the squarish hole below the round. You need to wipe the area dry,run the bike, and check again.:03biker:
It's definitely the small round hole. Since I rode it all last summer this way and I'm not going to trailer it to the dealer, I'll wait and see. In spring I'll take a few rides and keep an eye on it. Maybe since it was stored so long it initially leaked at first then stopped. Heck I've still got 2 years to take it in.

Cool!!! thats good news. Keep us posted, we all learn from each other here.This site has the kindest most helpfull people I,ve found anywhere. Good luck.:D

i have an 04 with the same thing.
took the plastic off to change the thermostat and tighten hose clamps and saw what looked like oily antifreeze run oozing from the weep hole.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Cool!!! thats good news. Keep us posted, we all learn from each other here.This site has the kindest most helpfull people I,ve found anywhere. Good luck.:D
And you are definitely one of them!:bow1:

Thanks Lanman. You are also one of the best out there. Hey!!! check the movie quote thread. I think I gotcha again, Ha!!!!!!:03biker:

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
WELL after a few good rides this spring I've got oil again draining from the ROUND weep hole all the way to the bottom of the engine!:mad:

This combined with my shifting problem https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60937 has me PISSED off and all around disgusted with this bike! Enough to get a Concours or anything.

I DON'T (didn't) want to take it to the dealer EVER but it looks like I'll have to since it's under warranty.

Any advise besides remove the bags before the butchers get it? Should I remove all the body work? can in still be ridden? If I get it back even with all this fixed, If I later find parts missing or scratched I'm going to be MORE pissed.

GRRRR!:mad::mad:

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
WELL after a few good rides this spring I've got oil again draining from the ROUND weep hole all the way to the bottom of the engine!:mad:

This combined with my shifting problem https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60937 has me PISSED off and all around disgusted with this bike! Enough to get a Concours or anything.

I DON'T (didn't) want to take it to the dealer EVER but it looks like I'll have to since it's under warranty.

Any advise besides remove the bags before the butchers get it? Should I remove all the body work? can in still be ridden? If I get it back even with all this fixed, If I later find parts missing or scratched I'm going to be MORE pissed.

GRRRR!:mad::mad:
Sounds like the waterpump seal so the pump has to come off to repair.
I would take off all the tupperware yourself so it doesn't get damaged as I did a while back when I had some warranty work done. The bike can be ridden fine without any bodywork although it looks a little wierd. I would even take the front fender off as it would likely get scratched when they pull the rad.

STOC #
I think before I resigned myself to taking it to the dealer, I would remove the plastic and the airbox to see what is going on at the top of the block first. As Rob stated, there is a channel for the top to evacuate. If you don't see anything, then you already have the plastic off and can take it to the dealer naked. It also gives them an idea the lengths you have already gone to diagnose the problem so they won't make any dumb assumptions.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I haven't done anything yet with my oil leaking water pump seal. Don't want to deal with any service shop, don't even know which one I want to patronize, and don't want the bike out of service.

I've also had a second shop not able to duplicate my shifting problem.:(

Keeping in mind how the 08 and later ST's have a hose installed instead of a weep hole to run any leaking coolant or oil right to the ground, Should I even bother with it? It's not enough to leave even a drop where I park. Right now it's just an oil trail on the side of the engine from the weep hole.

Knowing it's still under warranty, should I even take it in, and if so where? Any reason to take it where I bought it? I need some opinions please. Thanks.

Bike
Silver ST

Really? A drain hose? Back in the day when I wrenched on aircraft there was a drip standard for some leaks. You might be allowed 3 drops in 5 minutes for example. So the inclusion of a drain hose would indicate that some weepage is normal so Honda is now venting it overboard. So if over miles or time only a small amount of coolant is needed to top off the overflow tank all is well. Works for me.
robert :poPoST1::poPoST1::poPoST1::poPoST1::poPoST1::poPoST1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup, the '08s have the water peep hole hose.

Guess what? Mine is leaking. Found coolant residue on the tip of the hose and some along the fins that are on the bottom of the engine.

The bike runs fine, coolant level is good. So, not all that worried about it. I've never seen it leave a drop on the parking lot.

My '03 had this and it was considered a warranty item and the waterpump seal had to be replaced. I'll probably do this myself to give me the chance to flush the coolant and tighten hoses and such.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Sounds like you have 3 options:

1) Fix it yourself
2) Take it to a dealer under warranty
3) Continue to "freak out", sell the bike, and purchase another bike

All three have pros and cons... what ever you choose to do, keep a cool head and "work the problem".

Right now you're pretty emotionally attached to the outcome and that's not going to help your judgment. If you don't feel you can be level headed in this process, get a friend that is local to you assist you through whatever course you decide to go.

At the very least, you'll have a witness to any dealer caused damage. (This is the course you'll probably take... :D )

<D>

Well I haven't done anything yet with my oil leaking water pump seal. Don't want to deal with any service shop, don't even know which one I want to patronize, and don't want the bike out of service.

I've also had a second shop not able to duplicate my shifting problem.:(

Keeping in mind how the 08 and later ST's have a hose installed instead of a weep hole to run any leaking coolant or oil right to the ground, Should I even bother with it? It's not enough to leave even a drop where I park. Right now it's just an oil trail on the side of the engine from the weep hole.

Knowing it's still under warranty, should I even take it in, and if so where? Any reason to take it where I bought it? I need some opinions please. Thanks.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds like you have 3 options:

3) Continue to "freak out", sell the bike, and purchase another bike
<D>
:crackup Well I'm done freaking out, I Love my ST and WILL keep it. I'm still :think1:

Looks like that hose will stop LOTS of warranty work.

Keep em coming guys.

Top Bottom