OIL leak out of water pump weep hole!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well I haven't done anything yet with my oil leaking water pump seal. Don't want to deal with any service shop, don't even know which one I want to patronize, and don't want the bike out of service.

I've also had a second shop not able to duplicate my shifting problem.:(

Keeping in mind how the 08 and later ST's have a hose installed instead of a weep hole to run any leaking coolant or oil right to the ground, Should I even bother with it? It's not enough to leave even a drop where I park. Right now it's just an oil trail on the side of the engine from the weep hole.

Knowing it's still under warranty, should I even take it in, and if so where? Any reason to take it where I bought it? I need some opinions please. Thanks.
Pete,
I don't know were Halfax pa is but you might try World of Wheels in Seneca PA (Around Oil City & Franklin PA) they know ST's they have done lots of warranty work on my 1300 as it has 167 thousand on it. I just got my bike back from them last week after a water pump rebuild under warranty. Like some one else said take the tupperware off your self as all tech's hate to R&R it.
As for the shift problem I have a buddy from Ohio that his shift return spring on his 03 broke & the shifter would not pop up after shifting. He used a small bungee cord to hold it up for many many miles before he got it fixed under warranty. By the dealer I mentioned above, He brought it 300 miles to go to them. Try the bungee to see if it fixes the shift problem??
Kevin

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I bit the bullet and it's in the shop where I bought it. All I removed was the bags. They also can ride it more to find the shifting problem. I think maybe the return spring is weak and can't quite pull the lever after the 1-2 shift.

The other dealer wouldn't even let me back to service to take a tour. Stated OSHA regs.:cus::nuts1: At least I've seen the service area where I bought it.

Probably have the bike a week and that's if they don't find the shifting problem.

HELP! I'm scarred and lonely! HELP!

Bike
ST1300A-06
Hi Pete in PA,

I have read your post about your oil leak and i do have the same thing.

I was trying to find my coolant leak but got quite a surprise...

I have oil coming out of tha weeping hole in a very small quantity,
i would say about 2 drop when i come from a ride.

Innitially i tough that i had coolant coming from that weeping hole.
Took everything of and washed the bike and let it warm up for about an hour.
No coolant at all but only oil coming from that weeping hole. What a surprise.

But i was still smelling coolant. So again, took the radiator off,
and those 3 hoses coming from the thermostat had coolant around them.
Re-tight everything and we will see.

Could not set my mind in removing the Carbs yet.

Reading about the 2008 models having this hose coming out of the weeping hole,
i decided to install something similar for a test.

Its not the greatest thing on this side of the street but in the meantime it will do the job for a test.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi Pete in PA,

I have read your post about your oil leak and i do have the same thing.

I was trying to find my coolant leak but got quite a surprise...

I have oil coming out of tha weeping hole in a very small quantity,
i would say about 2 drop when i come from a ride.

Innitially i tough that i had coolant coming from that weeping hole.
Took everything of and washed the bike and let it warm up for about an hour.
No coolant at all but only oil coming from that weeping hole. What a surprise.

But i was still smelling coolant. So again, took the radiator off,
and those 3 hoses coming from the thermostat had coolant around them.
Re-tight everything and we will see.

Could not set my mind in removing the Carbs yet.

Reading about the 2008 models having this hose coming out of the weeping hole,
i decided to install something similar for a test.

Its not the greatest thing on this side of the street but in the meantime it will do the job for a test.
WOW! you updated yours to a 2008! I've been wondering if mine will come back from warranty work with the 2008 update.

Bike
ST1300A-06
Pete in PA,

Maybe i should change my color to the red candy or whatever the 2008 color is.

Right now i'm re-asembling everything up except the covers in order to see if i still have some leak or some coolant smell.

Bike
ST1300A-06
Well, i got back from a ride today and no more coolant smell at all.
One problem fixed so far.

The weep hole conversion like the 2008 model, did fix my oil stain below the weep hole.
What is coming out of the hose now is less then 2 drop of oil.

If Honda has this hose for the 2008 model, i dont see why i cant do the same.

To be followed.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well, i got back from a ride today and no more coolant smell at all.
One problem fixed so far.

The weep hole conversion like the 2008 model, did fix my oil stain below the weep hole.
What is coming out of the hose now is less then 2 drop of oil.

If Honda has this hose for the 2008 model, i dont see why i cant do the same.

To be followed.
If I were you or I had a hose on mine I'd cap it and then I could periodically pull the cap and drain the hose into a container and I'd know how much and what fluid leaked out.

My bikes ready today but I can't pick it up till tomorrow. They rode it again and still couldn't duplicate my shifting problem. I'm going to put Amsoil in and hope it takes care of it. I hope it's OK, and no scratches, missing fasteners, etc.

WOW, 6 days from her 1st birthday and already has warranty work.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A-06
Pete,

Hope you get that shifting problem fixed.

If I were you or I had a hose on mine
I'd cap it and then I could periodically
pull the cap and drain the hose into a container
and I'd know how much and what fluid leaked out.
I thought about it but as i said in a previous post, i only get less then 2 drop of oil and putting a cap would surely cause a small amount of back pressure in the hose.

Pall

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I've got her back! I gave her a quick visual and everything looks good. Of course I rode her the 40 miles home and close to home I tried to make the shifting malfunction and of course I could do it the first time. I don't understand why 4 different techs between 2 dealerships can't replicate my problem. I can do it almost 100% of the time when I want to.

I STILL THINK THEY DON"T WANT TO PULL THE ENGINE! So don't "find" the problem and you don't have to fix it.

The service writer did say that the water pump paid 1.9 hours under warranty, but it took much longer. Multiply that with an engine R&R and trans fix and I maybe can see why they don't want to "find" the problem.

I'm going to inspect/disassemble everything from the shift lever to the trans. I'm NOT pulling the engine on a bike under warranty.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I've got the dreaded coolant leak on my '07. It looks like it's leaking out the water pump weep hole. Are you guys saying this is normal? I'm thinking a trip to the STealership may be in order if not... :(

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've got the dreaded coolant leak on my '07. It looks like it's leaking out the water pump weep hole. Are you guys saying this is normal? I'm thinking a trip to the STealership may be in order if not... :(
Especially if your still under warranty bring it in.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
If it's water leaking....it might self heal. If it doesn't stop leaking...get it fixed. If oil...take it in and have it fixed. I went through this with oil at the weep hole in the spring/early summer. My local dealer repaired the problem correctly...no problems since. It was all warranty work for me.

Forest

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My '08 has a small leak there. In the 2008+ there is now a hose coming from that to the bottom/front of the bike. I can see were some coolant has leaked out in the past but I've never had any drops show up where I've parked. I don't detect any oil residue in that area. If it is just coolant I would not worry too much about it, if it's oil then yes I would take it in because your oil may be getting contaminated with coolant.

I have a 2003-2007 manual and it states ANY leak from that hole could mean the mechanical seal needs to be replaced under warranty. I've heard the 2008+ manual says something different but I've not seen that myself.

STOC #
Is there a reference around here that has a picture of this area in question? Sorry if it was right in front of my face. :p:

Bike
ST1300A-06
Well, i did it...

I disassemble the water pump assembly, ordered the parts and maybe tomorrow will go to the dealer in order for him to change the mechanical gasket with the oil gasket plus the bearing and the impeller.

Early this summer did install a small tube coming out of the Weep Hole and was only losing a drop of oil but since then, its getting worse and that is why i decided to do the work.

Here's a picture of that weep hole tube that i have installed early this summer.

Attachments

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
...I have a 2003-2007 manual and it states ANY leak from that hole could mean the mechanical seal needs to be replaced under warranty. I've heard the 2008+ manual says something different but I've not seen that myself.
Hi Joe,

I am experiencing the dreaded oil leak with my 2005STP. The bike is still under warranty and I would like to make an appointment with my local dealer.

I have a 2003-2007 manual. Can you reference for me the section, and maybe page number where I can find the information you state above?

Thanks.
Tom

Top Bottom