OIL leak out of water pump weep hole!

Bike
ST1300A-06
Hi again,

My dealer changed the impeller, bearing, mechanical gasket and oil seal.

One thing i noticed, is the impeller is quite hard to turn by hand while the old one was quite easy.
The mecanic told me that it should be stiff like that.

Anyway, put everything back, ran the bike for about 15 minutes until the fans kicked in and no leak whatsoever.
Put the tupperware back and will do a test run today and see what happen.

By the way, i had to get the paper gasket for the front crankcase cover, the long O-Ring for the water pump cover and two O-Ring for the top Crankcase cover.

All together, it cost me 278.00$Cnd for parts and 20.00$Cnd labor for changing the waterpump. That is beside the Antifreeze which was due anyway.

Pall

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
A little oil coming from the peephole, and it is for sure not antifreeze. So a little oil is ok or not? Do I have to change the whole thing or just the gasket, impeller, bearing, oil and mechanical seals and the pin?
I don't have warranty (2004 with 63k miles) what is your advice?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
A little oil coming from the peephole, and it is for sure not antifreeze. So a little oil is ok or not? Do I have to change the whole thing or just the gasket, impeller, bearing, oil and mechanical seals and the pin?
I don't have warranty (2004 with 63k miles) what is your advice?
If it is a small amount coming from the small round hole I would not worry about it. I have over 100,000 miles on my original water pump with no problems yet.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
It is a little oil, I think it is like a drop every 4 days or a week. Loosing oil is not my concern. I just don't want coolant to go to the engine, that would be rude!
However I believe when the radiator builds up the pressure it will seal the oil seal better I assume, but then when the negative happens (at cooling) than the oil might go to the cooling system. Grrrrrrrrrr.....
CAN I TAKE THE ENGINE FRONT COVER without taking the engine off the bike?

Can I take the water pump bearing and the both seals without special tools and put it back ?? Mellow heeellllppp....

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A drop now and again is nothing to worry about. There is no history of coolant contamination from the occasional drip of the ceramic water pump seal found in the ST1300. If it was like mine what you are seeing is not oil at all but road grime stuck to evaporated coolant from the drain near the weep hole. It looks remarkably like oil. Clean the entire area up and monitor it. That's what I did the last 35,000 miles. There was no oil leak at all.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?95753-Water-pump-weep-hole-oily-What-does-this-signify&highlight=

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
CAN I TAKE THE ENGINE FRONT COVER without taking the engine off the bike?

Can I take the water pump bearing and the both seals without special tools and put it back ?? Mellow heeellllppp....
This thread would answer your first question (at least the first nine or so pictures) although I would just leave it alone...

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I have used "Alumaseal" in my Hondas for 30 years to prevent coolant leaks to any potential problem areas in the engine(s) and radiator(s) with no problems caused by the "Alumaseal" You just siphon out some coolant , mix in some Alumaseal to about half what you siphoned out and pour back in , then top off with the rest. Use the stuff that says it lubricates the water pump. My GoldWing is 22 and my SilverWing I had is still going at 32.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
No offense but as principal I never use any sealer added to oil or to the coolant. They always and always gum up or do nothing. It is just my opinion. It is just like back pain cure or hair loss cure,,, just giving some hope for a little money. Some people always give it a try. Companies, they know this phenomenon and make money out of it. I appreciated the help and the advice, thanks.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Like I said , it has always worked for me without "gumming up". I also used it in my '93 TransPort with the 3.8 engine that had a known design defect in the intake manifold ; that the coolant leaks there. But not mine in 21 years with Alumaseal in it. Go figure .

Top Bottom