Oil shelf life thread

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Came across a liter of Amsoil motorcycle oil,, in the back of the cupboard,,, probably about 6 years old. I had used it in my CB900c,, before switching to Rotella t4. Out of interest,,, I gave it a shake,,, then poured it through a strainer lined with 2-ply (the cheap stuff). The base stock looks like "nothing special",,, but those globs of dark gunk must be the additives dropping out of suspension. Funny,,, I don't see a best before date ?? Anyway,,, my buddy has a shop heater that runs on used oil. That's probably the best use for it now,,, cause there is no way it is going into one of my engines !! CAt'
20220710_233713.jpg

Bike
2009 ST1300
Are you sure it wasn't used Amsoil, I've left gear oil, transmission oil and transmission fluid in vehicles for twenty years; in fact, previous generations, gas goes rotten, but I've seen oil and transmission oil last and maintain properties for far too long.

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Considering the age of the plant life / dinosaurs that are the key ingredients in oil, I struggle to see what possible harm can be done by sitting in a can on a shelf for a couple of decades.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have TCW3 two stroke oil for my boat that is close to 30 years old that I am still running. I had gotten a great deal on it back then, bought 14 cases of Havoline 12 qt. per for $10 a case.

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Are you sure it wasn't used Amsoil,
The sealing ring on the cap was intact. When you twist the cap open,, they all break. So it had not been opened before. CAt'

Considering the age of the plant life / dinosaurs that are the key ingredients in oil, I struggle to see what possible harm can be done by sitting in a can on a shelf for a couple of decades.
So that Amsoil is a synthetic oil. While the base stocks used are generally supposed to be a highest grade dino product. The rest of the recipe is synthetic materials, suspended in the base stock, as far as I know,,, CAt'

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The only petroleum product I’ve seen go bad was a fuel stabilizer I hadn’t used (closed container). It went from red to black with precipitate noted in about 2 years sitting in a clear plastic container. With oils, I haven’t seen that.

Bike
R1200rt
This is what I have read before or similar.. don't miss the bottom line
Every driver knows the importance of regular oil changing. Typically, motor oils stay stable and have a shelf life of up to five years. However, this stability can depend on a number of factors and it is always advisable to follow the manufacturer’s storage instructions. You must also keep a watch on the expiry date and refrain from using the motor oil once it has crossed that date. There are different types of motor oils available in the market such as synthetic motor oil, synthetic blend motor oil, high-mileage motor oil, and conventional motor oil. Their composition and the additives in them will affect their stability and storage capacity.

Composition of motor oil
The main factor that dictates the shelf life of motor oil is its composition. Synthetic motor oil is sourced from petroleum and non-petroleum chemical compounds. The hydrocarbon molecules in synthetic motor oil spread evenly through it. This forms a base, or alkali, that remains stable at both very high and very low temperatures. It does not contain pollutants like paraffin wax, a component of crude oil, which also contributes to a longer shelf life.

Additives dictate shelf life
Mobil 1 and other oil manufacturers add several compounds to their oil products so that it can best protect your engine and also last longer. These additives ensure that the synthetic motor oil maintains its viscosity or consistency. In other words, it must freely flow at all temperatures within the required test standards.

• If the motor oil contains elements like copper and iron, that could contribute to its lower shelf life since these elements act as catalysts and speed up oxidation.
  • To stop the motor oil from freezing at low temperatures, manufacturers add pour point depressants, or PPDs. PPDs are a kind of polymer that works to inhibit the forming of wax crystals so that the motor oil flows freely.
  • Detergents and dispersants in the motor oil delay the formation of sludge and help keep the oil clean by suspending contaminants in the oil.
  • Defoamants protect the motor oil from frothing and forming bubbles.
  • Most motor oils contain alkaline additives that work to neutralize the acidic contaminants.
  • Oxidation inhibitors help maintain the stability of the motor oil while rust and corrosion inhibitors prevent condensation.
  • Calcium additives ensure that the oil receives the oxygen it needs. They also help to delay the formation of sludge and varnish.
Other factors dictating shelf life
  • It is advisable to store the motor oil at constant optimum temperatures of between 40 degrees and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Extreme temperatures such as below 0ºF or above 100ºF can affect the stability and the ability of the motor oil to effectively lubricate the engine. Very low temperatures can result in the formation of sediments in the motor oil.
  • Storing the motor oil in a dusty environment can result in deterioration of its quality.
  • Exposure to humidity can cause condensation in the motor oil. This moisture can react with the additives in the motor oil and form insoluble particles. Sludge can also form and the motor oil can turn into a breeding ground for microbes.
  • If the bottle of motor oil remains unopened, it stays stable for a longer time.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I won't regurgitate @Al st1100 's information, but I'm reminded of that old saying from the 70s, don't recall the author -- "Better living through chemistry."
But I seem to recall the quip in in the context of recreational pharmaceuticals...
As usual, I have nothing of value to add here. But I read and learn.
Almost every single day.
Thanks.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I inherited a stock of Pennz 10w-30 that's probably 30 years old (label is like $1.45/qt)
Been using in my lawn equipment.
What I'm taking out of this thread is to "Shake well before use" for NOS oil! :p

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you should write Amsoil and ask them what the gobbets are. Suggest that you are going to post your pics on social media asking what has spoiled in the sealed container. I bet they will send you a case of new oil....

Thanks for posting. I'll never use Amsoil again...well, I've never used it in the past so that is not an accurate statement.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The crude that comes out of the ground bears scant resemblance to the refined product we put in our expensive engines. As @Al st1100 posted, many of the additives can affect shelf life.

One thing that caught my eye in @Al st1100's post was the point about storing oil in a dusty environment. If its in a sealed container, that's nonsense. If not, moisture, dust, etc. will shorten its life.

Bike
R1200rt
I think you should write Amsoil and ask them what the gobbets* are. Suggest that you are going to post your pics on social media asking what has spoiled in the sealed container. I bet they will send you a case of new oil....

Thanks for posting. I'll never use Amsoil again...well, I've never used it in the past so that is not an accurate statement.
Funny you said that, The guys on the Triumph forum don't like Amsoil

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I know I have a can of oil (from when oil came in metal cans) I think it must be ‘70s vintage, I got it when my dad sold his last house so that is going back to the mid 1990s. I will take a picture when I get home.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm reminded of that old saying from the 70s, don't recall the author -- "Better living through chemistry."
But I seem to recall the quip in in the context of recreational pharmaceuticals...
And sort of like one along the same lines -
"If you remember Woodstock ... you weren't really there!" :biggrin:

Top Bottom