Oil sipping out of water pump weep hole...help

OP
OP
I was one of the guys who had a leak after I replaced the valve cover after a valve job. The valve cover gasket must have rolled over a little on me when I tried to put it in place because when I started bike, oil was dripping on the ground. With the engine running, I could see oil spraying out of the top of the cover into the V of the engine. There's also a rubber sheet over the throttle bodies that can get caught under the valve cover on top on both sides. That oil takes a week to stop dripping. Good luck....
thank you sir

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm removing the pump soon too. A local Honda mechanic said bring in the crankcase cover, replacing the water pump is a 1/2 to 1 hour job. There's a Honda special tool that keeps proper alignment during the press fit. For $130 max labor that's a great insurance policy.

OP
OP
I'm removing the pump soon too. A local Honda mechanic said bring in the crankcase cover, replacing the water pump is a 1/2 to 1 hour job. There's a Honda special tool that keeps proper alignment during the press fit. For $130 max labor that's a great insurance policy.
Agree my friend...i will do the same

Bike
ST 1300 2004
Agree my friend...i will do the same

Hi, I have the same problem, oil from the round inspection hole...Did you replace the water pump? did mix the oil with the coolant?
you removed the water pump yourself
and took it to the mechanic?

OP
OP
Hi, I have the same problem, oil from the round inspection hole...Did you replace the water pump? did mix the oil with the coolant?
you removed the water pump yourself
and took it to the mechanic?
Good day
Yes , i had to replace the water pump, Coolant and oil didn't mix, they have 2 seals one flr oil and one for Coolant .
The worst problem is when there is water coming out the hole....then there is oil just keep an eye on it.
I took out the front cover myself bought thr parts online and went to a motorcycle shop to get it (pressed-in) they only charged me $120 dollars.

Bike
ST 1300 2004
Good day
Yes , i had to replace the water pump, Coolant and oil didn't mix, they have 2 seals one flr oil and one for Coolant .
The worst problem is when there is water coming out the hole....then there is oil just keep an eye on it.
I took out the front cover myself bought thr parts online and went to a motorcycle shop to get it (pressed-in) they only charged me $120 dollars.
if I understand correctly, then the oil leaking from the round hole is not as harmful as if the coolant was leaking... thank you very much, you calmed me down... I will do the same... was it difficult to remove the water pump?

OP
OP
if I understand correctly, then the oil leaking from the round hole is not as harmful as if the coolant was leaking... thank you very much, you calmed me down... I will do the same... was it difficult to remove the water pump?
Not at all difficult...just the plastics are time consuming...the good thing is that the oil is leaking out and not to the coolant system, if it is not leaking super bad i will just wait for it to get really bad and then change it....a lot of guys just let it be if it is not a super bad leak that will affect the oil level of the bike

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Bike
ST 1300 2004
Not at all difficult...just the plastics are time consuming...the good thing is that the oil is leaking out and not to the coolant system, if it is not leaking super bad i will just wait for it to get really bad and then change it....a lot of guys just let it be if it is not a super bad leak that will affect the oil level of the bike
ok you calmed me down :)
Because I was worried from the second post,(https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-water-pump-weep-holes.166819/) it says that it is dangerous if the oil comes out of the inspection hole... as I understood it, the coolant can get into the engine or the oil into the coolant... If you say that the others also said that it is not dangerous and that they waited , I won't worry

OP
OP
ok you calmed me down :)
Because I was worried from the second post,(https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-water-pump-weep-holes.166819/) it says that it is dangerous if the oil comes out of the inspection hole... as I understood it, the coolant can get into the engine or the oil into the coolant... If you say that the others also said that it is not dangerous and that they waited , I won't worry
Periodically check your oil level ....it has to be dripping really bad for it to replace...but do have in mind the eventually you have to change it...I can't remember but parts are not that expensive....

Top Bottom