Owner lost key. SOL??

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Most electronic stores seem to carry them and Apple stores of course, there is an android equivalent just not sure what it is called. The way it works is that if it is near an iPhone it will say hello via Bluetooth and the phone reports the location to Apple and if you use the Find My …. App it will get the last reported location. The phone does not require to be paired or anything, all it needs is an up to date OS and other than the initial purchase there is no subscription fee. I bought them because my wife couldn’t find her keys this spring so I went to an Apple Store and bought a blister pack containing four Tags.

IMG_3795.jpeg

Great idea. Where did you buy your air tags?
Way way way back in time, my wife and I were both using iPhones. As time went on, we discovered other brands with better (and more "open") features. We decided to divorce ourselves from the fruit infrastructure.

Eventually we wanted to take advantege of electronic tracker fobs. (I am notorious for misplacing / losing keys). So, decided to explore what's out there. Ended up with a couple of Samsung trackers and a Tile. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Tile is nice (and popular) because it has good reviews and is thinner.

One thing you must be cognizant of ... keep track of the battery level every now and then - when they get to 25%, replace with new battery. Do Not wait to see how long they last after that 25% !!

Keep in mind something else ... you can use these not just for keyrings. Folks use them for their dirt bikes, 4-wheelers, purses, mowers, .... and the list goes on.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
They are not locksmiths. The old guys who knew this stuff (guys who defined themselves by their work) are retiring (or have already). The kids coming up do not know the trade. Sam the locksmith retired near me, and sold his business to some guy who operates out of a truck. Sam had a shop with two walls of key blanks and a dozen different key machines (some had micrometer adjustments, some were the standard copy a key type). The new guy could not copy my Guzzi key, and had no idea where to find a blank. One of the real remaining locksmith shops had a stack of keys on the wall that fit and made a copy for me in minutes.
Keys are going away anyway. Hello smart phone locks. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it's convent. On the other, it's one more thing to go wrong.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Ended up with a couple of Samsung trackers and a Tile.
The Tile devices are the least reliable for recovering something outside your phone’s Bluetooth range as they rely on devices with the Tile app installed, I don’t know anyone with that app. The Samsung and Apple solutions are probably equally good or bad as each has a large user base. When I first got them I played around with them and work amazingly well.

I have been an Apple user since the early 1980s and mostly happy with the experience so not likely that I will change now.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
When I checked the owners manual of my bike I found that the first owner had written the key code in the appropriate place on the Quick Reference page. I even learned who the original owner and dealership were!

Have you checked there?

This page and a photo of the original key are now part of my bike's documentation.

1688082845846.png

Bike
2005 st1300
I have heard of the "duplicating a key from a picture" before and while I doubt the owner of this bike has a picture, this may serve as a reminder to snap a pic of your important keys as it is soooo simple to do. May help down the road.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Where did you buy your air tags?
Keep an eye on slickdeals.com and Amazon. Amazon is an authorized Apple reseller and frequently has sales on AirTags. The sale isn't great but it feels better than paying full pop.

I've used Tile (non-Sam variant) and TrackR trackers and I like the AirTags best. One of the great features is an AirTag will tell you when the battery is low and it can be checked whenever you want in the Find My app. The battery is easily and quickly changed compared to most of the popular trackers.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've only bought one used bike that had both keys, our 2006 ST. Got in the habit long ago of having spares made before I did any work on them. They always go in the same places. So long as I remember where that is, I'm in good shape.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I've only bought one used bike that had both keys, our 2006 ST. Got in the habit long ago of having spares made before I did any work on them. They always go in the same places. So long as I remember where that is, I'm in good shape.
It's in here SOMEWHERE! :rofl1:
keypile.jpg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
We took for granted the experience and skills that these guys had when we were young. Now with the "modern" skills available today, we soon learn it's not quite the same. :)
A few years ago I called a store looking for asphalt shingles. One guy said "can you spell that?" and the next guy said "is that a color"? Then I sighed heavily and hung up. :)

Call around and look for a SAFE and locksmith. They will be able to work from the key code. This cost me under $40 recently with two keys included. That’s a deal!

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Most electronic stores seem to carry them and Apple stores of course, there is an android equivalent just not sure what it is called. The way it works is that if it is near an iPhone it will say hello via Bluetooth and the phone reports the location to Apple and if you use the Find My …. App it will get the last reported location. The phone does not require to be paired or anything, all it needs is an up to date OS and other than the initial purchase there is no subscription fee. I bought them because my wife couldn’t find her keys this spring so I went to an Apple Store and bought a blister pack containing four Tags.

IMG_3795.jpeg
What model/year is your Nissan? I ask for an odd reason...

Top Bottom