Packable camp chair

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I will say some of those Low-Boy chairs require the user to have decent quads. Not massive quads just decent nonetheless. I've got to work on mine a tad. Armrests can help egress.

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
This is wonderful.
It’s almost as good as a “which anchor is best” discussion amongst cruising yachtsmen. :)

Bike
1997 ST 1100
I have a Therm-A-Rest, it packs very small, but it's three legs make it a bit wobbly.
Still, I like it inside the tent, because it's low to the ground.

I also have a chinese knock-off, with a high back & attached pillow, each section is bungie corded and it sets up fast.
It's comfortable ,but I'm not expecting it to last too long.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last season I wanted something that would pack smaller than what I had. I have no problem, yet, with being low to the ground since I can still roll onto my knees and stand from there. Besides, that's what I have to do anyway to stand when I get out of my tent.

I kept in mind that some of the events I attend have very soft sandy ground so wanted something with a bigger foot to prevent the legs from sinking into the ground. I found this chair on Amazon and like it very much. The "sand" feet are removable if desired but so far I've continued to use them every time. Similar to many others seen at STOC events and posted about here (except for the big feet). Seems if you don't get a Kermit chair you end up with one like this.
MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair with Large Feet, Portable Compact for Outdoor Camp, Travel, Beach, Picnic, Festival, Hiking, Lightweight Backpacking (Orange)
by MARCHWAY
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQM6DLR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_zUneEb8PB4VR9

I agree with John O about weight. Doesn't really matter that much when the bike carries it. But I prefer to go smaller when possible to better pack things. That usually means I can spend a little less to get the same function at a smaller size but the item often weighs more than the more pricey item.

Bike
94 magna, 07 goldwin
I enjoy the Kermit chair...also have the extensions....

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I love my Kermit, but.....its heavy and packs big, so when camping and gear space is limited, I use this. Lightweight and packs small. It might be a knock-off from something more expensive, but it works, for $39 on Amazon.

1599955285664.png

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
With my hip and knee issues, I can't get from chairs that low; I need a director's chair, and they don't pack well.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have a Trekology from Amazon. Great price and works well. Legs are adjustable so you're not sitting on the ground.

1572991407463.png
Looks interesting...
Does it pack up small enough to snug inside the 1100 panniers?
Over here I can only get ones by Sportneer and Mechhre which seem to also have adjustable but shorter legs...

The Cheese

Looks interesting...
Over here I can only get ones by Sportneer and Mechhre which seem to also have adjustable but shorter legs...
Yes. Easily. I had the same chair in a different knock off brand. It was about 4" diameter and about 15" long. That's from memory so it could be a bit off.

I could fit my chair, tent, shower shoes, toilet bag and packtowel in one saddlebag. Maybe another small bag but I cant remember for certain.

Bike
R1200rt
I will say some of those Low-Boy chairs require the user to have decent quads. Not massive quads just decent nonetheless. I've got to work on mine a tad. Armrests can help egress.
no wonder I have no problem with mine ...who knew:rofl1:

Reactions: Tor

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think the REI flex lite was the first type of chair like this.. then, a couple years later amazon was flooded with much cheaper versions. Great chairs that don't take up a lot of space or weigh much.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
no wonder I have no problem with mine ...who knew:rofl1:
I don't either. Prerequisites to use a low camp chair :thumb::thumb::

Daily, every morning, after you get out of bed, and before eating breakfast..................
  1. Run about 3 miles on the mill. If you can't run, walk. Crank the mill up to get your pump running harder.
  2. After you get done on the mill, stretch.
  3. Do squat repetition until your thighs start to hurt. When they do:
  4. Do lunge repetitions, as many as you can, changing forward leg each lunge
  5. Do sit-up reps until your tummy muscles hurt, when they do:
  6. Do push-up reps until your arms and shoulder muscles hurt. If you can't do push-ups, modify and stand against something, at a 45 degr. or less angle.
  7. stretch stretch stretch
Medicate as needed for the first week. After that, as you continue, you won't feel a thing.

Don't have time? Get the hell up earlier, so you have time.
Start watching what you eat. DRINK MORE WATER!!!!

Build core. It improves you riding (posture) as well. I realize some of you are not able to do that amount of physical activity. If you can't, move as much as you can, when you can. For those who can...............get after it.

Back to regular scheduled program. Sorry for hi-jacking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom