Photo of Spark plug wire

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Can someone share a picture of their cyl 1/3 sparkplug caps.. here is a picture of mine. I bought a new #3 wire and it's longer that my original.
20230425_111745.jpg

Attachments

• 20230425_111745.jpg
    20230425_111745.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 36
How much longer? You could re-orient the wire, or cut off a small portion of it before you connect it to the coil.

Where did you get your small fender extender?

On mine the #3 cap is rotated on the spark plug to roughly the one O'clock position so that it loops over the harness further towards the rear before going under the cowl. This would take up any extra length.

IF there were a need to shorten it couldn't it be done at either end? Aren't the plug caps replaceable? Or is that just on older Hondas.

My #4 plug boot pulled of the wire while doing plugs a couple weeks ago so I trimmed the wire 1/4in and reinstalled. What gauge/diameter is the wire? I want to replace the super stiff wires with something a bit more flexible.

You cant shorten OEM leads at the coil end. This is because there is a gland secured to the lead that allows the coil cap to push and hold the lead onto the spike deep inside the coil 'hole'. unlike the plug cap, it is a push fit, not a screw fit.

View attachment 259072

You can chop the other end a little bit.

But before you do, ask yourself the question - can I lift the plug cap away from the cylinder head without disconnecting it at the coil end - which requires removing the fairing. Mine loops down below the PAIR valve cover as shown in your photo.

The rear cap was lengthened sometime around 2009 ish I guess because it was too short to lift out without damaging it. I know I ordered a set around that time and some were slightly different lengths.

Last edited:
Your number 3 probably belongs like my 2006 was made. Sharp corner on the wire.

View attachment 311343
Your plug cap is positioned wrong!
If you look at the casing, you will see an indentation where the wire should be routed and cap pointed etc.
Check your service manual for the correct picture.

All four plugs caps can be removed without removing the side panels if you know and understand how the wires are supposed to be routed.
You pull the caps and direct them upwards into the correct path and there is more than enough room to remove and replace them.
I often find damaged/taped plugs from folks pulling and trying to force them out incorrectly.

The shorter one MUST be routed over the main harness - otherwise the plug will definitely not lift out.
Your correct John, but the tail of the cap and wire is supposed to be pointing upwards at an angle.

Yes. Interestingly, both of my brand new 1300s have come with that rear HT lead fitted just like that photo. It was one of the first things I did with my second one - take off the cover, nibble and smooth the part inside the plastic cover that eats the spark plug cap, and route that plug lead properly to remove the sharp bend.

Back
Top Bottom