Picture of your rig.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Kinda hated to sell it, especially after adding all the stuff to it to make it just right. My wife even fell asleep on the back seat once! But it was too much for 90% of the kind of riding that I do. Was great on longer trips though.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Userzero... I like your hitch. That is custom made? How did you attach it to the bike?

Gary
:04biker:
Gary,

The hitch is attached to the muffler brackets on either sides, and to the saddlebag brackets as well, using a flat bar contoured to fit the back of the saddlebags.

The pictures are kind of fuzzy, because I took them last night with my Iphone. But you can see the hitch and where it attaches to the bike.

Here are other pictures showing the receiver and how it connects to the trailer.

Cairns,Oz (Towards the top on the right hand side)
Bike
ST1100AX
STOC #
I bought the bike with a Classic Industries hitch on it. I'm going to do a mod to the hitch, in particular the suppoort straps that go up under the back. IMO they are too weak and I can feel the hitch moving side to side at times. I made my own hitch for my 750 Aero and it had a lot less sideways movement and was great for towing.

As for painting the trailer.. not yet. I am getting a single seat cowl painted at the moment and that's costing $350, so the trailer is out of the question... maybe if I win the lottery:D:D.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Bikebear, could you post some pics of the Aero with it's hitch, and even the trailer hooked up? I've got a friend with a Shadow 750 ACE, and he really digs my trailer... knowing he could pull one with his Shadow would make him a happy campy.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Any issues with removing/installing the rear wheel with the hitch on?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I bought the bike with a Classic Industries hitch on it. I'm going to do a mod to the hitch, in particular the suppoort straps that go up under the back. IMO they are too weak and I can feel the hitch moving side to side at times.
I have a Classic Industries hitch on my 1100 and I pull my "I-Lean" one-wheeled trailer. I too feel movement in the pegs with the trailer attached.

If you examine the foot peg mount assy, you'll note that it is attached through rubber bushings to reduce vibrations to your feet. With the hitch attached, this allows the whole system to float about a bit, thus letting you feel the inputs from the trailer.

I don't think reinforcing/redesigning the rear straps will make the movement go away, though it may reduce it. That would require removing the rubber bushings and replacing them with something more solid, either a hard nylon or aluminum/steel spacers.

I would be concerned with mounting the peg mounts solid though; these are long cast aluminum parts that might be stressed too much if they were solidly attached.

I've been watching my peg mount closely, checking for sighs of fatigue. I haven't noticed anything to date. I have not pulled the assy off yet to inspect the bushings but will probably do that over the winter.

Just something to consider....

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Just the nuisance of having to remove the hitch when you remove the rear wheel.
With the C.I. hitch, it's just 4 extra bolts to remove the hitch; 2 on the muffler hangers, 2 where the vertical straps attach. Oh, and a couple ny-ties that hold my wiring in place.

Not much of a nuisance, but still additional work.

Cairns,Oz (Towards the top on the right hand side)
Bike
ST1100AX
STOC #
I have a Classic Industries hitch on my 1100 and I pull my "I-Lean" one-wheeled trailer. I too feel movement in the pegs with the trailer attached.
This isn't movement in the pegs as much as movement of the whole back of the bike. If I hit a bump the movement of the trailer makes the hitch go sideways and 'wags' the back of the bike. I never had this before with the Shadow, the back suspension used to go up and down with the trailer but never side to side.

I did move some weight around inside the trailer and it did lessen it but it's still annoying. By stiffening up the support straps it would lessen, but not eliminate, the lateral movement which would make it more comfortable.

Another difference is that the hitch on the Shadow was home made out of 5/8" round so it was much stronger than the tube the Classic is made out of.

Bike
ST1100
Hey bear. I run a Classic tow bar on my ST1100 and an old Classic Trailer and only feel it moving around when their is too little weight on the Tow Ball.
Mate, found the best weight on the ball to be around the 20 to 25kg and I've towed it over the 200Kph/125Mph mark without a problem :aussie1:

Top Bottom