Pilot Road II's driving me nuts

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
with the howling noise off these tires. My previous Pilot Road (not II's) weren't nearly as noisy as these. Attaching a pic of the rear tire where it has started what looks like heavy cupping which probably is the cause of the noise. Anyone else seen this on the PR II's?

Its only cupped on the left side.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I got 14k miles out of my last set and no noticeable noise or cupping. I always run mine at 42psi F&R. I've got about 5k miles on my current set and they are still looking good.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
No problems here, Tor, except a nail that drove one rear PR2 to an early grave. I get no howl like the original PR's had.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
with the howling noise off these tires. My previous Pilot Road (not II's) weren't nearly as noisy as these. Attaching a pic of the rear tire where it has started what looks like heavy cupping which probably is the cause of the noise. Anyone else seen this on the PR II's?

Its only cupped on the left side.
2up? I assume.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
got an air pump? you could try deflating it and see if there's a welt developing at that spot. I hope its not failing on you.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That tire wear is indicative of a suspension issue.

I am willing to bet that bike is grossly under sprung for what it is carrying. If you got better wear out of a previous set, it most likely because you had a slightly better suspension at that point, but since oil breaks down over time you may have taxed even the ability of the shock to overcome the spring situation.

Something looks rotten in Pee Dee
If I didn't know better that looks photochoped. Line down the center, right side looks fine, left side looks like a wet bag of tire. Looks like something let loose in the tire unless you only make sharp lefts, all the time.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Something looks rotten in Pee Dee
If I didn't know better that looks photochoped. Line down the center, right side looks fine, left side looks like a wet bag of tire. Looks like something let loose in the tire unless you only make sharp lefts, all the time.
You are just seeing where the weak link was and what broke first when too much stress was applied. (Happened to be a belt on the left side.)

You are just seeing where the weak link was and what broke first when too much stress was applied. (Happened to be a belt on the left side.)
Being that suspension just ain't my thing. Would you still think suspension is to blame or fault in tire?

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Being that suspension just ain't my thing. Would you still think suspension is to blame or fault in tire?
I seriously doubt that is a straight tire failure.

Are you using the factory suspension? If so, how did you set the SAG and how much weight do you carry on the bike. (Passengers and Cargo.)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Tor's wife has her own ST1300. So whatever weight would be just him and his cargo. I'm assuming.

But then again, I see that his avatar shows both of them... unless it's his mistress...:D

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey Tor,

Mine are doing the same thing but I ignore the noise and the way it flat spots. I don't think it's cupping. I think that's how this dual compound flat spots. IMO

I just posted pics of my PR2's that had 10,500 on them with more tread to go.

Curt

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
2up? I assume.
Riding one up, but loaded for touring. 42 psi front and back. I'm currently on PEI. Have about 1500 miles to go. Lois's tire on her bike looks fine. She don't have half the milage on her tires though. I have always kept my rear shock preload turned all the way in. Seems unlikely (IMO) that this is a susp. issue. Have used regular PR's before (same susp. settings) but never saw this before. I guess I'll keep an eye on it. Don't want it to come apart on I95 heading home.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Mine did the same thing around 9k. But both edges had no tread left and the center had plenty. I believe its just a trait we are going to see with the dual compound tires and the edges wearing out before the center does.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks Landon.,,,,I looked at her rear tire, and actually has the same "bumps" on the left side, just not as prominent as on mine. I like the tires, but a noisier than expected. They really shine in wet and rainy weather IMO. Went through some heavy heavy rain for an entire day on the way up. Got condensation inside the headlight. Guess I'll pull the bulbs when we get home, and leave them out and let it sit for a few days to dry up. Other than that, both bikes are running great, no matter what grade gas we have put in them. :biker:

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
The set I rode to the West Coast,,, but,,, loaded as if I was going to Alaska,,,

(((Hey,,, I bought all that crap,,, so I decided to take it for a ride))):p:

my Tires looked worse than those...

LOTS,,, of straight line running in the 8,000 miles...

The next set which I have on,,, are nearly perfect,,, with about 5,000 miles... Way more turning,,, in this 5,000 miles...

Take these to Deal's gap and see if ya can make them round... You are doing it for research,,, not pleasure... :cool:At least tell all the people who can say no this at least... ;)

Top Bottom