OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
umm, well, we're running out of time up here, so no Deals Gap for us this time.....I'll just live with them until next change.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Mine did the same thing around 9k. But both edges had no tread left and the center had plenty. I believe its just a trait we are going to see with the dual compound tires and the edges wearing out before the center does.
Thats what happened to mine as well..

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Assuming your Pilot Road ll is our Road Pilot ll (Michellin) I love them. No problems with a very long life on the front but punctures reduced the best rear to about 7-8000 miles without any discernable wear.

I commute 110 to 120 miles each day on mixed roads from motor/freeway to (very) twisties and make good progress.

Although Sherob's written that the softer outer rubber will wear more quickly than the middle this isn't quite my understanding. The outer rubber should wear as well as any tyre and the middle will last even longer to account for long periods of motor/freeway miles; it's the middle that is harder rather than the outer being softer.

These Tyres meet my riding style and my style of riding; BT021s forced onto us are discernably weak in comparrison. Please confirm the odd wear in the PRll photo is unusual and down to suspension dynamics so I can continue my love for them.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Pat,

As I stated above, my wife's ST1300 with the same tires are showing the same marks on the left side of the tire, around the entire circumference. She is height challenged and have her preload all the way down. I have my preload as hard and cranked up as I can get it. Same marks on both bikes. Both sets were purchased at the same time, and came from the same place. Suspension problems causing this? Hard to believe, IMO.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I haven't seen any wear issues on my PR 2s yet, with close to 7000 miles. I inflate them to 42 psi front and rear.

I agree with the above comments that something else must be wrong, especially because the cupping appears on the left side of the tire and not the right.

Mandel

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
The wear is certainly indicative of both camber and suspension/wheel balance related issues.

The unevenness comes from an oscillation of the suspension causing, or caused by a high frequency 'tramp' of the rear wheel. This can be exacerbated or even caused by poor balancing of the rear wheel/tyre assembly as well as a worn suspension unit.
It concerns me that both tyres on both bikes were purchased in the same place at the same time and this would warrant investigation.
That said if the tyre has covered 8000 miles the problem can't be that bad or you would have felt it through the saddle.

The problem can be made even worse by under inflation although you intimate this has not been the case.

HTH

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Pat,

As I stated above, my wife's ST1300 with the same tires are showing the same marks on the left side of the tire, around the entire circumference. She is height challenged and have her preload all the way down. I have my preload as hard and cranked up as I can get it. Same marks on both bikes. Both sets were purchased at the same time, and came from the same place. Suspension problems causing this? Hard to believe, IMO.
Thanks, Tor.

I can only hope you've scored a bad batch, which I'd expect a refund on with the strong case of Power of Thor's hammer and Speed of Odin's stallion each suffering the same. Either way, it'll doubtless have you in a thicket on whether to replace like-for-like or go Bridgestone / Avons?

All I could say (as an opinion) is stay clear BT021s; there's good evidence in the forums I've researched that I am not alone disliking them. I really got on with the RP2s; even as a novice I could feel the difference between their Steady handling and that of the slippery BT020s, which many here swear by. The BT021 rear really does act like a squirrell with it's nuts on fire though; unpredictable!

Good luck - keep us posted on your findings and if you find any recourse with their suppliers for duff workmanship. I choose to stay in denial for now and remain a supporter of the things ;)

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK I have seen this on a couple of tires in the shop on ST1300. They nahd been running loaded or two up. Air pressure correct by their word. As everyone states this may be the nature of the tire. The thousands of tires they produce you are going to see a bad batch or at least a few.

I think we have been thru Dunlops and some Storms on problems.

My theory is that tires who ever may make them cannot be made the same over and over.
If under or overcooked, humidty changes, buddy had fight with his wife this morning will change everything or whatever.

They may get it close but, I'll bet money McDonald's burns some burgers now a then.

Maybe it's a bad tire. Just my guess for what it's worth.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
6k+ miles on a rear PRII. Squared off early but nothing like you're seeing.

Ok I'm changing my story. After I replaced it I got a better look at the wear pattern and seeing the same as what you're showing, but on both sides. I probably haven't given them a fair trial, but never did like the way the bike handled.

Top Bottom