Helmets Pinlock anti-fog inserts

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Well worth the money.
Keeps my vision clear down to -10f. Below that I do get a frost build up, but no fog.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
.-10°, dang, I’ll ride as low as -9°, I draw the line at -10, , I live in Northern California, never seen that number.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Under the water, I've been known to use that personal technique.
Haven't had to do so with a pinlock, thus far.
AFAIK will a few drops of dish-soap or even Coke/Pepsi smeared over the inside have the same result on a bare helmet visor...

For more severe cases like notorious English weather:

369676963_825043819286314_823692453184653145_n.jpg

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used to use a Pin-Lock insert. Did a really good job preventing fogging of the visor. I stopped using the Pin-Lock entirely with my current helmet even though it does have the pins to put one in.
But I wear glasses all the time and a Pin-Lock insert does nothing to prevent fogging on the glasses. My solution was to use a snorkel during times when fogging would be an issue. Usually that meant any time I was riding when the temps were below 40F since that was the only time I had fogging of visor or glasses.

My snorkel is simply a small nylon elbow, about 1/4-3/8 inch ID with a short length of clear vinyl tubing on one end. I hold the open end of the elbow in my mouth to one side (like holding a cigar) and the tube is just long enough to end right at the bottom edge of my full faced helmet on the side. I ONLY exhale through the tube and breathe in the air inside the helmet. That keeps fresh air coming into the helmet and expels my hotter/humid breath outside the helmet. The ribs on the elbow allow me to hold onto it. I've never had any fogging of my visor or glasses using this... ever. Even in temps down to well below zeroF and highly humid conditions.
Anti-fog snorkle.JPG

I guess what I'm getting at is that a Pin-Lock system does work to keep the visor clear. But it doesn't work on glasses. So if you wear glasses then you'll need some other method to keep those clear of fogging.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
But I wear glasses all the time and a Pin-Lock insert does nothing to prevent fogging on the glasses. My solution was to use a snorkel during times when fogging would be an issue.
Basically an idea, whilst I wouldn't like to have something between my teeth when hitting a pothole...
Dunno about other brands/MFGs, Shoei offers/includes a breath-deflector to be clipped on top of the chin-guard/lower edge of visor frame, works quite good IMO...Kinnspoiler_7947_600x600@2x.png
(GF misses that in her C3 lid... not even avail as accessory...)

And then there skeedo modular helmets with heated visor, integrated jet-mask, the whole shebang... :cool:

I recall a similar system offered as motorcycle helmet over here, even featured filter inserts (ideal for those with allergies), did vanish though...

Bike
2003 ST1300
It's getting to be cool riding season and my GT Air pinlock anti fog has shrunk.
Glad I found this thread, but I didn't see anything about shrinkage so maybe that's why there are adjustments?
My current one constantly fogs up and I realized the bottom of it is now open (no seal against the face shield).
I've seen other threads about this shrinkage-thing. Maybe they have a limited life span.
Anyone else experienced this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/4bh667

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've seen other threads about this shrinkage-thing. Maybe they have a limited life span.
Anyone else experienced this?
As mentioned earlier will main visor and pinlock age, deform, change dimensions...
We've mechanical stress, wear & tear, temperature changes, UV radiation, chemicals from road spray and cleaning solvents used...
IMO are 1~2 years/seasons quite a normal lifespan on quality/brand helmets (cheap lids found at food discounters will leak/fog up right out the box...)
Visors aren't very expensive, proper function/vision OTOH essential
And then there is the suggestion to replace a helmet every 5 years anyway...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Evacuating the warm moist breath away from the visor is the best way to prevent fogging so that it does not have to be dealt with in the first place. If the exhaled humid breath from the mouth is evacuated out of the helmet and never gets to the visor there will not be any fog issues. The ventilation of snowmobile helmets is far superior to that of motorcycle helmets, and the improved ventilation would take care of most scenarios where fogged up visors happen on a motorcycle without the need for anything else. I used to exhale as hard as I could against the visor of my snowmobile helmet to test out the ventilation. The visor would fog up while I was exhaling on it and immediately clear as soon as I stopped. You could see the ventilation suck the moisture out. When breathing normally the visor never fogged up. As I wrote in the below post, if manufacturers can figure out how to have that level of targeted ventilation in a helmet that gets used in temperatures far below zero without the head inside of it freezing, I think that they should be able to figure out how to better target the ventilation of a motorcycle helmet to ventilate the breath away from the visor better than they do.

And then there skeedo modular helmets with heated visor, integrated jet-mask, the whole shebang...
I agreed with you back in July, way before you even wrote the above.

Top Bottom