PR2 Rear Toast after 4K miles

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
As I was pulling a nail out of my 3 month old rear PR2, I noticed the tread appeared to be almost to the wear bars. I measured and have less than 1.5mm left in the center. For schnicks, I measured the replacement tire and the new tread depth is 7mm. After a measly 4k miles, my PR2 is practically shot.

Earlier this spring this tire seen a road trip to Mountain View Arkansas and last month a weekend romp in SW Wisconsin, both one up. Then a smattering of day rides, all one up. No excessive heat, always @ 38-42psi.

Now, the rest of the story... I installed a Penske Shock over the winter (which by the way, I love). Since the install I've notice the front end lifting way more often under power than it ever did before. Could the Penske be putting more power down and this caused the rear so wear so quickly? Could Arkansas have chewed up a fresh PR2?

I have another PR2 to install and I'm hoping Arkansas was the problem. That and maybe easier on the throttle coming outa the turns... Any of youse guyz have an idea on why this one ended life so soon?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Adjust the preload? I noticed my front end was very light especially 2 up once the preload was adjusted it was fine.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Two thoughts, first running many miles 4psi (38vs the recommended 42) under inflated, especially with a load or two-up can really accelerate wear. Secondly, if your Penskie is shorter or the preload is too low, you will have more weight shifted to the rear tire than you should, also increasing wear.
Posted via Mobile Device

maxib

I'm working on it...ok?
There are many variables that contribute to tire life including tire pressure and road surface. If I get 4-6k miles out of any motorcycle tire, I feel great!

I get maybe three days at best out of a set of tires on the track. That equates to approximately 150 miles. So what you need to realize is tire wear is very different from my situation compared to yours, or others on this board.

The one constant that I feel assured to mention is that no motorcycle tire of any manufacturer will ever get 30 to 40 thousand miles before replacement, as compared to auto tires.

Good luck, and remember that you are having way more fun on your motorcycle tires than the tires on your car, so the more frequent replacement is justified. :)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm on my 4th set of PR2's and on the first rear only got 4k on it. My guess was to monitor the pressure more closely and from then on I've been getting a consistent 11k+.

I'm alternating brands between changes and nothing else is coming close and I'm real confident in the PR2 on dry or wet pavement. A great tire.

Been through some Dunlops and Bridgestones, will be trying Storms and MEs in the future.

Shuey

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
Denny

As you know my riding style is much more sedate than yours and my bike is stock. I have just turned over 12k on my PR2s. I keep 42psi front and rear. They are almost to the wear bars, so the next thing is getting another set and visiting my buddy Denny for a tire change. :D

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
My last trip to AR I donated most of my rear tire to the state highways also, less than 4k on dunlop 220. I think it has to do with the chip-n-seal also.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Well,,, I have a 8,000 mile,,, at LEAST stretch to run my PRII's on from Moonshine to san Diego,,, to Prudhoe Bay Alaska so,,, I FRIGG'N BETTER GET MORE THAN 4,000 MILES!!!

I have 8,000 or 9,000 at least on my PR II's now so,,, I am thinking I have a shot at getting better than 4,000 on the next set... ;)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Curious? Has anyone wore a PR2 down to the cord on the rear? Mine has the proverbial flat spot. The wear mark indicators are out, away from the flat spot. Does this mean I can continue to wear that flat spot (middle of the tire) until it is wide enough to have reached the wear indicators? Or is the cording going to be showing before I get to the wear markers?

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Curious? Has anyone wore a PR2 down to the cord on the rear? Mine has the proverbial flat spot. The wear mark indicators are out, away from the flat spot. Does this mean I can continue to wear that flat spot (middle of the tire) until it is wide enough to have reached the wear indicators? Or is the cording going to be showing before I get to the wear markers?
I WANT TO KNOW TOO!!!

I have a 4 inch flat spot and am just about to the wear bars...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
There are four sets of wear markers on the rear of the PR2 tire with each set consisting of five markers on the individual sipes forming a semicircle across the width of the tire. I'd take a picture if I had a working camera. You should see two indicators in the middle area of the tire unless you have worn out the tire in the middle in which case it is time to get a replacement.

Bike
'07 ST
STOC #
About 14 Grand out of my last PR2 front and still had tread left, but changed for good measure (probably could have gone another 1000). Rear is around 6 to 8 right now and still looks great. No...I have not been taking it easy either. Just been running 42 psi and keeping a check on it.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
:nuts1: I just don't get why anyone would want to eek out a few extra miles on a tire by running on the cords when they've only got two relatively . . . heck, very small patches of rubber between them and . . . big medical bills.

I just don't get it. There's so many other factors beyond our control . . .

I'm ready to be convinced of the errors of my thinking. Standing by -

Shuey

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I have 8,000 or 9,000 at least on my PR II's now so,,, I am thinking I have a shot at getting better than 4,000 on the next set... ;)
Terry, be careful about projections of tire life when it comes to planning a trip. I came real close to having to stop for a tire last year because the wear on the rear tire was radically different from that experienced on the very same kind of tire the preceding year. Two years ago I did a 5500 mile round trip to the Northeast on a brand new D-205 rear. I had so much tread left that I eventually put 9000 miles on it. Last year I again started out with a brand new D-205 and did a 5500 mile round trip to the northern Rockies (actually tagged the Canadian border). Toward the end of the trip I began to worry if I was going to make it home without having to get a tire. When I did get home, the tread was at the wear bars. For this year's 6000 mile trip I'm putting on the hardest rear tire known to man!... an ME880. I've no doubt the tire tread will last with that tire.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I got 14k out of my last set of PR2's. My front could have gone longer but I feel after that many miles I might as well change both at the same time. I run 42 psi F&R. I'm not the fastest guy in the twisities, but I'm not the slowest either. I try to concentrate on being smooth on the throttle and brakes. About half of my 14k miles was 2 up traveling with a full load. I could have pushed them a little farther, but 14k is outstanding in my book. I'll be sticking with the PR2's for a while.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Terry, be careful about projections of tire life when it comes to planning a trip. I came real close to having to stop for a tire last year because the wear on the rear tire was radically different from that experienced on the very same kind of tire the preceding year. Two years ago I did a 5500 mile round trip to the Northeast on a brand new D-205 rear. I had so much tread left that I eventually put 9000 miles on it. Last year I again started out with a brand new D-205 and did a 5500 mile round trip to the northern Rockies (actually tagged the Canadian border). Toward the end of the trip I began to worry if I was going to make it home without having to get a tire. When I did get home, the tread was at the wear bars. For this year's 6000 mile trip I'm putting on the hardest rear tire known to man!... an ME880. I've no doubt the tire tread will last with that tire.
I agree 107% with ya Mick...

I use to run the ME-880 as my Tire of Choice on my 20 day trips... It was the only tire that would get me there and back up to 11,000 miles...

The PR II's I have only run last year on the rear to the West Coast with toypro and Putt... Ended up with something around 9,000 miles,,, but it was toast...

Ran the PR II's front and back and have more than 9,000 miles on these... But,,, these are getting toast...

So,,, Why am I running a PR II on a trip to Alaska where I HAVE to get 8,000 miles before changing??? I will be following Tim on a KLR 650 that is packed looking like it was going to the moon... ;) I don't expect much spirited riding,,, and mostly,,, just tank to tank till Alaska...

After Tim leaves me in Jasper???

STAND BACK!!!

STAND BACK I SAY!!!

After following a KLR for 20 days,,, and not being able to play on curves and ride how I really like to ride??? I have scheduled a great route home which takes in Lake Louise/Banff/Glacier Parke/Yellow Stone/Beartooth Pass/Chief Joesph/Cody/14 A/ to bring my blood pressue back to reality... :D

lddave

been there
STOC #
Terry the Alaskan hi way eats tires. The three times I have been up there I used ME 880's and the last time on the KTM the rear 880 only lasted about 6000 miles.

Top Bottom