PR4 GT's

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
If one person gets 13,000 out of a tire and another person only gets 5,000 out of the same tire, is it the tire or the rider?
One other thing to throw in there....road surface.....Minnesota's blacktop compounds are pretty rough on tires, the concrete not so much....guess which one they use on the twisty bits....I never get more than 5 or 6000 out of any brand....just life in Minnesota...kinda like this freakin' winter.....:D...........ff

Bike
2004 ST1300A
There are dozens of variables that effect tire wear. . . temperature, road compounds, speed, weight, turns, acceleration, stopping, etc.

A motorcycle moves because a tire pushes the bike, rider, and cargo (about half a ton) against the road; since the road doesn't move, the bike does. Once at speed, it continues to push, but of course momentum aides. In the same way, stopping occurs when the tires push against the road, slowing down the 800-1200 pounds of mass. Even turning occurs when your tire pushes against the road...the bike wants to go one way, and the tire has to force it to change directions. This is simple physics (and we all know this) but imagining every start, stop, and turn pushes your rubber tire against a hard road, it is no wonder tires wear out.

Of course the biggest factor is riding style. My tires typically last a long time because I'm slow to start, quick to coast, and slow to brake. Granted I had a lighter bike and harder tire, but I got over 21k out of my last rear tire (it had 3-4k left but it picked up a nail so I changed it). I also ride like a grandpa! I'm not saying my way is better, I just like efficiency. I know, I'm weird.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Whatever cause one wants to attribute the rapid tire wear, were it me, I would make whatever changes necessary to get better tire life. Good luck.
Easy to say, difficult to implement.[emoji1]

I'm going to try to track tread depth weekly with the new rear tire.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
The Michelins are one of the most expensive tires for the ST.
I disagree with this. Other than darkside, I think the PR4 is the cheapest tire for the ST. I'll be pulling off a Bridgestone T-30 with 6200 miles this weekend that cost me $120.00 or $.0193/mile. My last tire was a PR4 that I logged 11,100 miles on. That tire cost me $175.00 or $.0157/mile. YMWILLV but for me the PR4 is the best value. If I paid someone else to mount my tires it would be an even greater difference since I would be paying for the labor more often.
It doesn't hurt that I like the handling of the PR4 better too.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I disagree with this. Other than darkside, I think the PR4 is the cheapest tire for the ST. I'll be pulling off a Bridgestone T-30 with 6200 miles this weekend that cost me $120.00 or $.0193/mile. My last tire was a PR4 that I logged 11,100 miles on. That tire cost me $175.00 or $.0157/mile. YMWILLV but for me the PR4 is the best value. If I paid someone else to mount my tires it would be an even greater difference since I would be paying for the labor more often.
It doesn't hurt that I like the handling of the PR4 better too.
That's a good point...higher initial cost, better long term value.

I've changed two sets of tires with only levers, and it was not fun. I now have a harbor freight mc tire changer that I'm going to try it soon; while I'm anxious to see how it works, I don't want to use it more than I have to. Extending the period between changes is a HUGE plus.

Bike
2005 st-1300
I put on a set of these a year ago and have put on 7200 miles. Both tires are now at 4/32" measured with gauge. The rears are scalloped (cupped) a lot the fronts not so much. I have another 4000 mile tour planned, so I think I will have to replace the rear before I take off, which will be in another 1000 miles or so. I'm wondering if the front would make it though, I read somewhere that it comes with less than 5/32" new. Thanks for all advice on this.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I put on a set of PR4's last Aug. and have around 1500 miles on them. A couple of days ago I was running my hand over the tires and noticed the front was not smooth. There is a slight height difference in the center of the tire where each of the curved grooves separate the sections of smooth rubber. Has anybody else noticed this on your tires and is this normal wear or abnormal wear? I am running at 42 psi.

Bike
2005 st-1300
reply to cornSTalk I believe you are describing scalloping (cupping) as mentioned in my post. I think it is normal to an extent, but 1500 seems early for it to happen. Make sure your gauge is accurate and be sure you are really running 42, underinflation can exacerbate the issue from what I understand. There comes a point (subjective) where the ride is too rough due to this and tire must be replaced. I don't find it particularly annoying and my tires are pretty badly cupped. If I wasn't planning a longer tour this summer I would ride them down to wear bars.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
That does sound pretty early for cupping! Have you been riding hard and/or braking hard in turns? I have a bad habit of using my brakes more than I should in turns and get a similar wear pattern. Not usually at 1500 miles though...

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I got 9K out of the stock Pireli's on the Triumph Trophy and 12K out of a PR4 GT replacement set. I never got over 7K out of any tire on my ST and the 12K I got out of the Michelin is the most I've gotten out of any motorcycle tire.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I shopped around for a rear last week- just shy of $180 was the best price I found, free shipping, no tax at Jake Wilson (where I bought) and another couple sites.

Here is my PR4GT after exactly 9 days and 2,027 miles. Pretty impressive mileage compared to the BST30GT which lasted only 1,483 miles (under slightly harsher conditions though). T30 wins the cost per mile battle by half a penny for mile.

ST1300-PR4GT.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Here is my PR4GT after exactly 9 days and 2,027 miles. Pretty impressive mileage compared to the BST30GT which lasted only 1,483 miles (under slightly harsher conditions though). T30 wins the cost per mile battle by half a penny for mile.

ST1300-PR4GT.jpg
Was that all track time ???

T

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I paid $225. including mount, balance, tax, old tire disposal. That's with the wheel off the bike. But I live in the high priced Silicon Valley. My buddy paid a little more for the PR4GT for his FJR at a different shop.
We both noticed it follows the rain grooves in the freeway, not a good thing. But that seems to have diminished now.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Try making more left turns.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I am with ToddC. What kind of conditions are you talking here? If it is street riding you certainly make to much money.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here is my PR4GT after exactly 9 days and 2,027 miles.

ST1300-PR4GT.jpg
Wow, that sure looks like an uncommon wear pattern. I have 8,000 miles on a set of PR4GTs that I installed in November - the result of a ride from Toronto to Florida to Los Angeles and back - and I have a little bit of a flat spot in the middle of the rear tire, that's all. The front tire shows no significant wear. I suspect that I will get another 4,000 miles or so out of the back tire.

What were you doing to wear off all the tread on the side of the tire, but virtually none of the tread in the middle?

Michael

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I put on a set of PR4 GT's last year and now have 8K on them. I have measured the tread depth along the way with a set of calipers and at the current rate of wear, they should go another 3K, possibly 4K. They are worth a few more $$$. They handle very well, noticeably better than the Metzlers I had previously used.

Downside: Cupping. Tire pressure was maintained at 42. I even tried adding Ride-On to the tires, a sealant that also claims to balance the tires as you ride. I did this because the last set of tires, Metzler Z's, cupped as well. I suspect something else going on with the STs that causes cupping besides balance or tire pressure.

The PR4GT pictured is what all my tires do in the mountains surrounding my home. I spend between $2,500 and $3,000 a year on tires for my 4 bikes (average tire life is 1,800 miles) and consider it the cost of having fun. Since January this year I have already worn out 12 tires on the 4 bikes. I could revise my riding style and get 4 to 5 times the mileage so if money ever becomes an issue I know what to do.

Each their own.

Top Bottom