PR4 GT's

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Yep you have now convinced me that you make way too much money and have way too much time on your hands. Do you just buy them in bulk and get a discount? LOL. One would assume that your tire changer most likely has paid for itself many time over.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Here is my PR4GT after exactly 9 days and 2,027 miles. Pretty impressive mileage compared to the BST30GT which lasted only 1,483 miles (under slightly harsher conditions though). T30 wins the cost per mile battle by half a penny for mile.

ST1300-PR4GT.jpg
I'm in awe... That's pretty freaking impressive!
I visited your neck of the woods a month or so ago, and had a great adventure; would have been a blast to hang with you!

You know, since you refuse to go on a highway, a few more quick takeoffs from a stop will help even out your center wear :cool:

CYYJ- You two must have exact opposite riding styles ;)

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just ordered a set of PR4 gt for my St1300.... will see how well they last for me compared to my normal set of 020f. Hope it's better than that pic! :)

As a side note, also ordered a used rear rim so i can keep the Hankook on for future use with trailer, never felt scarey but didn't like the squiggle enough to leave it on full time.

My Dragon runs have gotten so intense I just pack spare tires to ensure I can make an up and back run. :D

ST With Tires.JPG

4 years ago my Cycle Hill tire changer setup cost me $800 with compressor and balancer. At $25 a tire I figure it has saved me $1,600 so far (96 tires according to my spreadsheet, soon to be 97). Jake Wilson has great tire prices and I get a couple or three free tires a year from their cash rewards system. I store tires as I always take advantage of the rebates and sales. I had 12 tire sets in my closet just a few months ago. Down to 7 but I bought some along the way as I have a few tires that are less than 9 months old so I won't use them, instead I order new and rotate if the delivered tire has a newer date. I log every tire change in my spreadsheet so every mile is accounted for.

I have 5 weeks vacation a year and am free most weekends and I live 1 hour from Deals Gap. I am the tire manufacturer's dream customer. It's a conspiracy, I get it, but life is too short to slay every dragon so I just pay up and ride.

I only wear out the sides so I have often wondered if I should work out a deal with a commuter and do tire swaps at 75% wear.

This is all I am going to say.....:bow1:
Not worthy of that Todd but I I have to say that testing a Darkside tire yesterday on the ST, with a Ferrari and Lamborghini leading the way, makes me really like my life right now. Story in the Darkside forum.

Kimball

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
CYYJ- You two must have exact opposite riding styles ;)
Yes, after having read kebrider's response in post #120 above, I have come to the same conclusion. I use my ST1300 (the bike I keep in North America) for long distance touring, usually at reasonably sedate speeds on secondary roads.

But, having said that, I keep a ST1100 in Switzerland, and spend a lot of time riding quite aggressively in the mountain passes there, and never fail to get at least 6,000 miles out of a back tire. But, Tennessee roads have more twists and turns per mile than even the Swiss mountain passes.

Rider weight might have a bit to do with it also - I weigh 180 pounds, including the weight of my riding gear. Some people in the United States weigh substantially more than that.

Michael

Yes, after having read kebrider's response in post #120 above, I have come to the same conclusion. I use my ST1300 (the bike I keep in North America) for long distance touring, usually at reasonably sedate speeds on secondary roads.

But, having said that, I keep a ST1100 in Switzerland, and spend a lot of time riding quite aggressively in the mountain passes there, and never fail to get at least 6,000 miles out of a back tire. But, Tennessee roads have more twists and turns per mile than even the Swiss mountain passes.

Michael

Weight could be a really small factor since I am 230ish fully geared, 6'2" and broad shouldered so I add to the wind resistance as well. Most of my riding is in WNC and the pavement is as abrasive as any I have ridden on. On tour last year I did 95% mountain roads round trip from Knoxville to NB Canada and I got 4,800+ miles from the rear T30GT (1.5 to 2.5K is normal) and the front lasted 8K miles. I was loaded down and had to keep two other bikes in view so weight went up and speed went down.

I ride with people that keep up with me and they get the same tire life I do. I ride with people that go a little slower and they get better tire life than me. Throttle position is the absolute destroyer of tires.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
kebrider:

I have to admit that I am a bit jealous of you, given that you live in Tennessee. I have not travelled to every US state, but based on my observations of the 30+ states that I have visited, I think Tennessee offers the greatest density of really interesting, scenic, twisty roads. In my mind, it is the absolute perfect place to live if you like riding a motorcycle.

I have an idea: Let's set up a tire swap program. I'll send you my used tires when they have a big flat spot in the middle, but still have the mold marks on the sides. You send me your used tires when there is nothing left at the sides but they still have full tread depth in the middle. Not only will we both cut our tire expenses in half, we will probably both get nominated for a Nobel prize or something like that by all the environmentalists and tree-huggers out there for the contribution we will make to reducing the need to dispose of worn-out rubber tires. There will be nothing but fabric left on them once each of us has ridden a full cycle on a tire :)

Michael

kebrider:

I have to admit that I am a bit jealous of you, given that you live in Tennessee. I have not travelled to every US state, but based on my observations of the 30+ states that I have visited, I think Tennessee offers the greatest density of really interesting, scenic, twisty roads. In my mind, it is the absolute perfect place to live if you like riding a motorcycle.

I have an idea: Let's set up a tire swap program. I'll send you my used tires when they have a big flat spot in the middle, but still have the mold marks on the sides. You send me your used tires when there is nothing left at the sides but they still have full tread depth in the middle. Not only will we both cut our tire expenses in half, we will probably both get nominated for a Nobel prize or something like that by all the environmentalists and tree-huggers out there for the contribution we will make to reducing the need to dispose of worn-out rubber tires. There will be nothing but fabric left on them once each of us has ridden a full cycle on a tire :)

Michael
See, Micheal gets it!. I have been saying that for years Michael to all my fiends in FL. A simple exchange program would save us all money and conserve natural resources. :D Tennessee is great but the best thing abot Knoxville is I am 1 hour from the North Carolina state line, either coming in north of Hot Springs or SE to Delas Gap (via the dragon) or a little further SE to Robbinsville (via the Cherohala Skyway). We are also day trip distance (3 hours round trip) to GA and VA which both have fantastic riding. The mountain roads here in West TN are outstanding as well with fun roads as little as 5 miles from the house.

I don't regret moving to Knoxville even if my tire and gas bills have soared.

KEB

Top Bottom