Practice this technique

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
To quickly change direction push hard on the handlebars, left to swerve left and right to swerve right. It's handy when a truck from the opposite direction comes out of a corner and makes a beeline at you until he's taken most of your lane at a closing speed of about 140. You push right and are instantly at the white line on the right edge of the road allowing you to merely feel the rush of wind as he passes by. It's a maneuver I've practiced until instinctive and today's results speak well of it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It's commonly called counter-steering. What you're doing is steering the tires' contact patches out from, and then back under the combined center of gravity of the rider and the bike. You can alter the steering pressure required to maintain a given turn radius by shifting your body weight away from the bike's vertical line.

We average street riders would normally lean the bike farther than our body, requiring the counter-steering pressure in the direction you're describing. You can experiment by leaning your body weight to one side and observe the direction in which you need to apply steering pressure to keep riding in a straight line.

Racers, because their weight is leaning to the inside the bike's vertical line, are actually applying steering pressure in the direction that is trying to make the bike stand back up. If they weren't, the bike would keep leaning over until body parts made ground contact, lifting the tires from the pavement and sliding.

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Interesting, I haven't known any other way to steer my bike. It's always been the simplest way to precisely place my bike on the pavement. I originally started on dirt for the first 30 years without knowing how to ride on the pavement. What a learning experience that was, I was used to using my throttle to change direction on the dirt bikes I always rode. But since switching, this has always made sense to me to maneuver through the back roads where I live.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
On bikes like the Africa Twin with larger 21 inch front wheels it is necessary to counter steer to change directions rapidly. I learned this years ago and once practiced it become second nature and a much safer way to ride and respond quickly to road conditions or hazards.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I actually discovered counter-steering by myself after about three years of riding.

I can steer with either hand alone, and I have ridden with my left hand on the throttle.

I find it easier to ride relaxed with one hand on poor surfaces like gravel or campground roads.

Added: It also works on bicycles, but requires much less steering pressure.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It's called counter-steering. I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet. :rofl1: I'm a fan. Push left go left – push right go right. Some prefer counter-intuitive or counter-counter-steering. Pull left go right – pull right go left. Either way it begins at some speed above parking lot cruise.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Some prefer counter-intuitive or counter-counter-steering. Pull left go right – pull right go left.
The rider must use body weight to counter-act counter-steering. Pull the bike to one side with your weight first, then counter-steering is sub-consciously used to keep the bike from falling over farther.

OP
OP
TMF

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
It's commonly called counter-steering. What you're doing is steering the tires' contact patches out from, and then back under the combined center of gravity of the rider and the bike. You can alter the steering pressure required to maintain a given turn radius by shifting your body weight away from the bike's vertical line.

We average street riders would normally lean the bike farther than our body, requiring the counter-steering pressure in the direction you're describing. You can experiment by leaning your body weight to one side and observe the direction in which you need to apply steering pressure to keep riding in a straight line.

Racers, because their weight is leaning to the inside the bike's vertical line, are actually applying steering pressure in the direction that is trying to make the bike stand back up. If they weren't, the bike would keep leaning over until body parts made ground contact, lifting the tires from the pavement and sliding.
There's a stretch of road near my house heading downhill into a blind righthander. There's a series of speed bumps close together so it's relatively slow. I've noticed at the 15 - 20mph speeds there how much I use knee weighting against the tank area to slalom through the potholes. That's done on bikes ranging from 400 pounds all the way up to the ST1100.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
There's a stretch of road near my house heading downhill into a blind righthander. There's a series of speed bumps close together so it's relatively slow. I've noticed at the 15 - 20mph speeds there how much I use knee weighting against the tank area to slalom through the potholes. That's done on bikes ranging from 400 pounds all the way up to the ST1100.
Knee pressure against the tank steadies your body, but it does VERY little to affect the direction of the bike.

Everyone who is not falling over on a 2-wheeled vehicle is counter-steering. It's not something to learn when it's already being done. It's something to be aware of because it might make for better control.

OP
OP
TMF

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
Knee pressure against the tank steadies your body, but it does VERY little to affect the direction of the bike.

Everyone who is not falling over on a 2-wheeled vehicle is counter-steering. It's not something to learn when it's already being done. It's something to be aware of because it might make for better control.
I'm sorry but you are very wrong saying knee pressure does not affect direction. Not to argue but go 15 mph and shove your knee hard against the tank and you will instantly change direction enough to swerve around a pothole.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm sorry but you are very wrong saying knee pressure does not affect direction. Not to argue but go 15 mph and shove your knee hard against the tank and you will instantly change direction enough to swerve around a pothole.
I didn't say "knee pressure does not affect direction", I said "it does VERY little to affect the direction"

Next time try avoiding the pothole with your hands off of the bars. I think you're counter-steering without realizing it.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #

I didn't say "knee pressure does not affect direction", I said "it does VERY little to affect the direction"

Next time try avoiding the pothole with your hands off of the bars. I think you're counter-steering without realizing it.

I have tried the "knee on tank thingie " before. With my hands off the grips, I pushed my knee so hard against the tank, my foot slid off the peg! Yet, I still stayed upright heading for the shoulder. One finger on the grip, slight pull, laid me over, right into the turn.

I never rode dirt bikes so I can't say much about that.

EDIT: Here's what California SuperBike
School says about it.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I think the jist of what should be taken rom this thread is how important it is to practice swerving! A super quick response, and knowing how your bike will behave is a valuable survival skill. I routinely practice using oil spots on the road, shadows, etc. using minimal "look ahead" time so as to practice spontaneity.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I think the jist of what should be taken rom this thread is how important it is to practice swerving! A super quick response, and knowing how your bike will behave is a valuable survival skill. I routinely practice using oil spots on the road, shadows, etc. using minimal "look ahead" time so as to practice spontaneity.
Practice ... absolutely. And target fixation is a tough one. Try, try and try NOT to do it.

Top Bottom