Practice this technique

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think the jist of what should be taken rom this thread is how important it is to practice swerving!
Basic during safety trainings:
i) counter-steering (concept, physics, actual practice riding corners, circles and swerving between cones forcing combinations of lean and push cornering)
ii) avoiding pot-hole/rock/obstacle practice (brief hard jerk on the bar alters your track, but keeps bike parallel to prev direction)
iii) evasive maneuver (i.e. car pulls out driveway): slam brakes (burn off speed), release, hard counter-steer left-right (or vice versa), brake again once cleared...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I grew up riding a bicycle every where. I quickly learned that one could let go of the handle bars and just peddle away the bike would go straight.
I learned to turn, by leaning into and out of the curve. I only touched the handle bars to stop. Did that for decades. Still do when I am on a bicycle.
Do not recommend this ! But tried it on the ST in a safe place at low speed and it can be done.
It is really about balance control.
Counter steer pressure is making the bike turn without balance, which is good for quick maneuvers.
However, if you are holding the turn and find yourself using a lot of counter steer you are out of balance.
But again being out of balance allows you to quickly recover. It is a trade off that could be done either way.
Understanding the difference makes you a better rider.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Honestly I grew up riding motor bikes of all kinds. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that the whole push left to go left was told to me. I thought thats nuts, but I tried it. I quickly realized that I had always done that, but just never paid attention. Thats what happens when your riding a Rupp Black Widow at 5 years old. lol

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
www.motojitsu.com great web site re all matters riding.

check this vid....motojitsu.....countersteering. Counter Steering Is EASIER Than You Think - YouTube

I have been a fan of..and have ridden with this guy ....... one of the very best.

big tourers or cruisers, sport, dual purpose.... u turns in parking lots, lane position do's and don'ts, ride yer own ride...... covers it all

Top Bottom