Problem Solving Skills

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I just went in for my 6 week follow up visit with my spine doctor.
I asked if I would be able to ride my motorcycles again...
After a long pause, he said I may be able to ride in 6 months or so, if I'm careful, and understand the risks etc.
Then in a very serious tone & look, he said in the mean time I don't want you wearing a helmet for at least 6 months due to the weight.
Problem solved....I have a Harley Davidson in the garage :rofl1:
I figured I survived the first 40 years riding one without a helmet, what the heck.
I went out for a 45 mile ride along a couple deserted desert highways, through the neighborhood, then back home.
I forgot how nice it was being in the wind without a bucket on my head ;)

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think there was some selective hearing used here...

The no helmet for 6 months doesn't trump the previous "may be able to ride in 6 months if careful, and understand the risks etc. "

The doc likely feels like Larry does when Larry tells folks they need to replace a brake component or bleed them a certain way and the folks just do their own thing as they know best.

The bike whisperer meets the spine whisperer. Round 1. DING.

All that said, glad you're feeling better! Just make sure you don't over do it. Remember the mess you were in before and how you felt.

I have some questions that need answers. Was Mrs Igofar at home at the time he went for that ride and what did she say afterwards? Was she at the follow up and heard what the doc said or did she just hear Larry's version? Oh boy!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry but 45 miles on 2 wheels isn't worth the risk of a lifetime in a wheelchair...

Bad move in my mind, I get it, sux to not be on a bike but... I don't agree with the decision.. glad nothing bad happened... I supposed every ride we come back on is a good ride given the risks we have to deal with..

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sorry but 45 miles on 2 wheels isn't worth the risk of a lifetime in a wheelchair...

Bad move in my mind, I get it, sux to not be on a bike but... I don't agree with the decision.. glad nothing bad happened... I supposed every ride we come back on is a good ride given the risks we have to deal with..
"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
Jack London ;)

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Trust me, I share everyone's concern with my safety, and the long term out come.
I didn't just jump on the bike and throw caution to the wind.
I rode very slowly (35 mph) and carefully, on empty roads, sitting perfectly upright, with good posture, and avoided any bumps.
I just wanted to see if my arms/shoulders/neck muscles would protest.....as the rehab stuff is kicking my butt.
I plan to wait AT LEAST six months before I try riding farther than around the block, and it looks like that is going to be on a much smaller and lighter bike than the ST1300 :confused:
Because.....my biggest concern is, if something happened to me, who would field all the calls on the white courtesy phone :rofl1:
Thanks for all the concern.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll just toss this out there, with absolutely and immutably NO judgement...

I've been wearing a full face helmet since Day 1 of riding, and it absolutely just creeps me out to ride without one.
I'm talking about, even just across an empty parking lot.
It even makes my skin crawl if I get on the bike without gloves.
And it's not because I crash often (although I will fall down sometimes offroad), it's just because of a lifetime of habit. But I do have worse habits.
Carry on.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
You could wear one of those super light weight bicycle helmets, better yet with a foam C collar or neck brace.
That would go well with the pirate outfit....
don't forget the eyepatch, made from a dark sunglass lens.

Funny, never ride my bicycle with a helmet, but have to wear a brain buck on the motorized bikes because it's law in B.C., I do like a full face for one reason " bumble bees" they hurt the face at any speed over 50 . Always have Eye protection.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Top Bottom