Problem Solving Skills

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Everyone will have an opinion here (myself included)- when the time is right, definitely a lighter bike (possibly even a DCT bike or perish the thought…a scooter (bigger one)??!!)- also, for neck and spine protection, how about an airbag vest? It’s tough to be off for any period of time- I had the 94 out for 150 miles today- loved every second of it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
A good conversation to have with yourself when you're out for a ride:

"The farther you go, the farther you'll have to ride to get home, y'know."

"Yeah, so?"

I've been wearing a full face helmet since Day 1 of riding, and it absolutely just creeps me out to ride without one.
I'm talking about, even just across an empty parking lot.
I have to agree with you, I have lived through the seat belt and no seat belt time and getting in a car without putting on a seat belt feels wrong. But not being in Tucson and being told to stay off bike would drive me to drink, then I would ride anyway and guaranteed to fall down.
Be really, really careful please.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'll just toss this out there, with absolutely and immutably NO judgement...

I've been wearing a full face helmet since Day 1 of riding, and it absolutely just creeps me out to ride without one.
I'm talking about, even just across an empty parking lot.
It even makes my skin crawl if I get on the bike without gloves.
And it's not because I crash often (although I will fall down sometimes offroad), it's just because of a lifetime of habit. But I do have worse habits.
Carry on.
I don't even think I wore a helmet on the street growing up.
It was a different time and age I guess.
I wore one racing moto cross, scrambles, speedway, and flat tracking.
Oh yeah, I didn't wear one riding Trials...I had one of those neat little white Bell hats :rofl1:
tumblr_msbmn3Z2l71qk2fawo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
View attachment 324320

THIS is why I first got a helmet!! I started my motorcycle fixation in the late 1950's-1965 in north MS and rode without a hat. Traffic was light to nonexistent in the little farm communities we lived in so I didn't worry about them. Had to special order one from the few local dealerships anyway as they weren't in stock. Dad moved us to northwest Louisiana and the bug population (lots of them and some were really big) sold me a helmet with face shield pretty quickly. Caught a bird that flew up behind my shield while I was looking over my right shoulder for traffic, and fortunately it stuck between the shield and the left side of my glasses.....that sold me on full face helmets.
1700260294734.png

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Larry I feel your pain not being able to ride. But shame on you for taking the ride. As of today I am 277 days post op on my back lower back surgery. I have 6 - 50mm screws, rods connecting them together and bone graphs to hold everything else in place once healed up. I live in a the geriatric community of Sierra Vista, AZ. I look at people here an I said to myself when I was in recovery that I didn't want to be one of them. I am almost 71 and I look and feel much younger that many that live here and I will say that if it wasn't for attitude and making physical therapy a religion I would look and feel like them.

Take your recovery seriously. it will come in time so you can ride and feel ike you are not going to break. At 4 1/2 months I took my first 200 mile weekend, at 5 months and 1 week my wife and I took a 1800 mile trip over 9 nine days. Easy days, easy roads no interstates. During the trips I still did my daily PT the best I could without carrying all the PT stuff. August 1 I did another 850 mile trip over 3 days on a new bike. My point is do what you are told and you will ride again. It was killing me not to ride. But today I feel better than I did 10 years ago. In the last 3 weeks I have done 2 dirt training sessions for big bikes and felt great after the fact.

I was at PT yesterday for a different issue and I thought I the youngest person in the office. Come to find out we were all within a few years of each other. Most of them their attitude about recovery and PT was in the toilet. And they looked like it. They didn't try to get healed up. They all had the same excuse. It hurts and I am not strong enough. It hurt before so this has to feel better right? It was very depressing watching these folks. Stick to your PT every day. Don't over do it but do it right and this will go a long way to get you riding without fear of breaking. Let your OCD kick in here and take care of yourself. ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Oh dear.
I've read all the posts since mine, and I find at least 3 typos in my post. Swiping to make words is not the same as typing.
But here I sit in T-town, the sun has burned away nearly all the clouds, and I'm getting warm in a black jacket liner.
Guess where?
I know, I know... it's a horrible cliche, perhaps even an archetype, but some days you just have to accept your fate.
Big adventure bike, roughing it in the wilds. Of a college town. It's so tough, being an adventure rider.
And their bold Christmas blend tastes burnt! Like it's been on the burner for too long. Three bucks and a quarter - for a MEDIUM! - so you know it's been years since I've darkened their doors.
Male me a new one, please.
Pfffttt.

20231118_100318.jpg

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When you gonna get a license plate and some tags on that thing, and get rid of that New Jersey plate?
:rofl1:

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Oh dear.
I've read all the posts since mine, and I find at least 3 typos in my post. Swiping to make words is not the same as typing.
But here I sit in T-town, the sun has burned away nearly all the clouds, and I'm getting warm in a black jacket liner.
Guess where?
I know, I know... it's a horrible cliche, perhaps even an archetype, but some days you just have to accept your fate.
Big adventure bike, roughing it in the wilds. Of a college town. It's so tough, being an adventure rider.
And their bold Christmas blend tastes burnt! Like it's been on the burner for too long. Three bucks and a quarter - for a MEDIUM! - so you know it's been years since I've darkened their doors.
Male me a new one, please.
Pfffttt.

20231118_100318.jpg

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have to agree with you, I have lived through the seat belt and no seat belt time and getting in a car without putting on a seat belt feels wrong. But not being in Tucson and being told to stay off bike would drive me to drink, then I would ride anyway and guaranteed to fall down.
Be really, really careful please.
OK, old man time (just for a second)- when I was a kid riding in those old GM ‘boats’, we (me and 3 sibs) all wanted the center of the front seat riding shotgun…turns out it was the most unsafe seat in the car, so if my dad had to stop short, he would swing out his right arm in front of me (or one of the others)- retrospectively did nothing and if I got flung forward, I probably would have broken his arm…oh, the days of old.

Anyway, back on topic, heal well and listen to the ortho so you can get back in the saddle soon.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When you gonna get a license plate and some tags on that thing, and get rid of that New Jersey plate?
:rofl1:
Relax, Larry.
It took me almost 11 months to retrieve this beast, I'll get around to it.
Maybe by next June.
I've never, ever had a NJ tag before, so I'm enjoying the oddity.
(Nah, I have the temporary tag I got last week, I'll tape it on this weekend.)
Well, DANG it!
This was supposed to be in today's coffee thread.
I'll fix it later.

I don't ride my bicycle on the road , there's a 16km gravel trail just ouside my door. Home is Delta Heritage Airpark which is waterfront property and the dyke has a gravel trail on it. I do know there's a bicycle helmet law in BC , not sure if that applies for on roads only or every where?

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I get it. I do. Throwing caution to the wind. Just like your Uncle Kneival. Wasn't he the very first 'Million Dollar Man?'.

1700337159140.png

Top Bottom