Problems with roadsmart tires

cstuart1597

cSTuart1597
Bike
ST 1300
I bought a set of these for my ST 1300.The bike had 3250 miles when I got it in march 2018.There was 4000 miles on the clock when I put these tires on in June 2018.At aprox. 10400 miles. I contacted Customer Servivce with the abnormal wear conditions Sept. 2019.This is the explaination I got; Hi Mr. Stuart,
Good morning –
Below is the response from our engineers, please read through and afterwards give a call to discuss further.
"We have seen this in the past but mostly when mounted on Honda ST1100/ ST1300 motorcycles. Here is our conclusion regarding the tire wear. The ST1300 tips the scales as one of the heaviest sport touring motorcycles in its class. For its weight, this motorcycle has a short wheel base, steep steering angle, and narrow rear tire allowing it be agile on the road. This was the design approach taken by the engineers at Honda. All motorcycles have a tendency to weave. This is the natural tendency for any motorcycle on the road. Most of the time this goes unnoticed because the motorcycle engineers spend countless hours testing to minimize this. However, the natural tendency is still present, so when you run over an imperfection in the road this tendency heightens. The tires are part of the equation because the friction between the tires and roadway aid in resisting weave. This motorcycle has a known issue with weave in the field, so we believe the uneven wear is directly related to this factor alone. As I mentioned earlier, this weave may go unnoticed, because the tires will help resist this but in return sacrifice tire wear. This could be directly related to the motorcycle design or worn parts but we don’t know for sure without knowing the history (model year, miles, etc.). If this is an older model we do recommend having your motorcycle inspected by a certified mechanic to check items such as the steering head bearing, front fork, wheel alignment, etc. to make sure everything is working properly."
Google – “Honda ST1300 Highway Weave”
Dave Johnson
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
P.O. Box 1109, Buffalo, NY 14240
Phone O: 800.845.8378

I didn't read the response - they obviously dont understand the concept of "paragraphs".

Be that as it may ... I'll NEVER run "RoadSmarts" (can you say misnomer) on any vehicle.
About four years ago, the wife and I were riding and BOOM, blow out on the rear. A large chunk of the tire simply blew out, about the size a of US dime.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's been my experience that consumer affairs/customer service personnel tend to be technically challenged friendly people who know nothing about the products of the company for who they work. They are usually well trained to be polite while answering no questions definitively and giving out no real information. I know I'm being harsh, but the days where I could call, ask for a knowledgeable person who knows about the product seem to be over. Indeed, even the tech support people confess a "no" when asked, "Have you ever installed this item?" All they can do is search a computer database and read you the answer.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The 1st two pics are the front and last two are the rear.
Head down to Georgia and look up Skipcurt. His tire front tire had the same wear and lumps and bumps on it when he rolled into my garage after his Iron Butt run...
After I plunged his front end, aligned the forks (by feel, not visual) and sent him on his way back home, by the time he got home is tire had worn smooth and normal again ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's 6k miles on a tire that is lucky to get 7-8k... so pretty normal.

Bike
VStrom 650
Good morning Mr.Stuart I trust you are well.
Perhaps we should start all posts in a Dunlop inspired way.
Your tyres look like lots I've seen on many types of motorcycle. I cannot relate my own experiences to the 13 but my 11 has devoured certain tyres and one occasion after a 4500 mile two up trip both front and rear Bridgestone 023's were toast, a lot worse than your pictures.
Br. T30' s replaced these and wore evenly but got changed early because of another forthcoming long trip.
Br. T31's replaced the 30's and were an inspired choice. They wear evenly and can easily achieve a third extra on the total miles. They will still square off slightly after long spells of motorway and autoroute riding, but only slightly.
If it was I, then I would try a different tyre with good reviews and take on board the maintenance tips already given.
I think the Dunlop man is probably correct, I think he's saying it's a big heavy beast of a bike that has known handling flaws and the tyres have a jolly hard time of it. What he doesn't say of course is another brand may do the job better.
Good day to you Mr.Stuart.
Upt'North.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The wear in the pics is typical of a dual compound tire on a heavy motorcycle, ie, the center section is harder than the edges. On a slightly lighter bike, the FJR, I keep the front pressures up, I assume you're using 42 psi as a minimum on an ST. Having said that, Dunlop in previous versions of the RS had issues, these RS3's are way better... I am on my second set, but also be aware the compounds are a little harder than most (typical Dunlop). They have been good, but be careful in the wet and cool weather. Good tire in the summer heat, I'd compare them to the old Michelin PR2, another long wearing tire.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have had two ST1100's purchased new- a 1999 and a 2000. Being new presumably there were no mechanical issues with the bike. In both cases I rechecked the front wheel installation per the service manual/set up instructions, because I knew that it is installed by the dealer not Honda, so there were no issues there. Tire pressure was always maintained at what Honda said it should be. Both came equipped with Dunlop tires from Honda. I don't remember what model of tire they were. Both had terrible cupping, specifically on the front tire, after only 2 or 3,000 miles. I put up with it until they needed to be changed when I switched to Metzler tires. The Metzlers did not develop any significant cupping until they were getting close to needing to be replaced.

I haven't bought Dunlop tires since. I don't think that they make an inferior product per se. I just think that their product didn't play well with the ST1100.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I had similar problems on my Roadsmart tires. The front would cause steering to shake significantly. I thought there was something really wrong with the bike, but it was simply the tire. The rear always wore unevenly and were very annoying to ride after just 5k miles. Never Dunlop again for me!

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Yep that's classic cupping. I'd start by servicing the the forks with fresh fluid and an alignment. Then bounce the front end and back end and see if they rebound at the same rate. If not at least the back is adjustable. Play with it and try to get it the same as the front.

Edit: A good wheel balancing couldn't hurt either.

Bike
ST1300 & Rune
No More RoadSmarts for me...I also was very discouraged in the wear pattern I was seeing on my '07 ST1300 & very low mileage I was getting out of them & had the exact same conversation with Dave at Dunlop went though RoadSmart 1's 2's & 3's all with same results..got a miserable 5736 miles out the last RS 3's before I knew it was time to get them off the bike..that was the worst mileage yet & terrible uneven wear....so I made a switch to the Michelin Road Pilot 4 GT's & am I ever happy I did..currently with 3155 miles on them they show little wear...these tires stick & I found a much better riding experience in every way...currently have 3155 miles on them & show very little wear..had to get used to them from the RoadSmarts for sure...the ST1300 responds the way it should too on dry & wet roads...I have 55 years of riding 9 on the ST1300...so for what's it's worth I install a SuperBrace on it while the RoadSmarts were still on...the ST1300 responded immediately to the SuperBrace...no more front end wobble!! So there's my 2 cents.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I am running a set of Roadsmarts on my '07. The rear has about 7000 miles on it with no sign of cupping and still has a lot of wear left in it. The front has about 3000 on it and no sign of cupping and very little wear. This is my first set of Dunlops in many years. I usually won't buy them because of the cost. But these surprised me in that they are wearing very well. From the pics, I would suggest a good balance job is in order. Do the simple things first.

Bike
R1200rt
I bought a set of these for my ST 1300.The bike had 3250 miles when I got it in march 2018.There was 4000 miles on the clock when I put these tires on in June 2018.At aprox. 10400 miles. I contacted Customer Servivce with the abnormal wear conditions Sept. 2019.This is the explaination I got; Hi Mr. Stuart,
Good morning –
Below is the response from our engineers, please read through and afterwards give a call to discuss further.
"We have seen this in the past but mostly when mounted on Honda ST1100/ ST1300 motorcycles. Here is our conclusion regarding the tire wear. The ST1300 tips the scales as one of the heaviest sport touring motorcycles in its class. For its weight, this motorcycle has a short wheel base, steep steering angle, and narrow rear tire allowing it be agile on the road. This was the design approach taken by the engineers at Honda. All motorcycles have a tendency to weave. This is the natural tendency for any motorcycle on the road. Most of the time this goes unnoticed because the motorcycle engineers spend countless hours testing to minimize this. However, the natural tendency is still present, so when you run over an imperfection in the road this tendency heightens. The tires are part of the equation because the friction between the tires and roadway aid in resisting weave. This motorcycle has a known issue with weave in the field, so we believe the uneven wear is directly related to this factor alone. As I mentioned earlier, this weave may go unnoticed, because the tires will help resist this but in return sacrifice tire wear. This could be directly related to the motorcycle design or worn parts but we don’t know for sure without knowing the history (model year, miles, etc.). If this is an older model we do recommend having your motorcycle inspected by a certified mechanic to check items such as the steering head bearing, front fork, wheel alignment, etc. to make sure everything is working properly."
Google – “Honda ST1300 Highway Weave”
Dave Johnson
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
P.O. Box 1109, Buffalo, NY 14240
Phone O: 800.845.8378
which exact Dunlop tire is is 2,3??

OP
OP
cstuart1597

cstuart1597

cSTuart1597
Bike
ST 1300
I appreciate all the responces and suggestions.I believe the answer to the problem is in the responce I got from Dunlop.I believe the tire is not heavy duty enough to carry the weight of the ST1300.That was what they said in their email.It sounded like the RS 3 was desighed for lighter machines.If that is the case then they should have some kind of disclaimer or suggestion not to install them on a ST1300.You seen the miles on the bike and this is not my first bike.Currently I am 58 yrs old and been riding most of my life.I started this thread to enlighten people and maybe not make the same purchase I did.I installed the tires /wheels per manufacture's specs and proceedures{Honda and Dunlop}.The last 1k miles I got concerned and they had no apparent problems before that at all mph's.Of course I tried to keep the bike below the 100 mph's,most of the time before the problem showed LOL.

Bike
R1200rt
I appreciate all the responces and suggestions.I believe the answer to the problem is in the responce I got from Dunlop.I believe the tire is not heavy duty enough to carry the weight of the ST1300.That was what they said in their email.It sounded like the RS 3 was desighed for lighter machines.If that is the case then they should have some kind of disclaimer or suggestion not to install them on a ST1300.You seen the miles on the bike and this is not my first bike.Currently I am 58 yrs old and been riding most of my life.I started this thread to enlighten people and maybe not make the same purchase I did.I installed the tires /wheels per manufacture's specs and proceedures{Honda and Dunlop}.The last 1k miles I got concerned and they had no apparent problems before that at all mph's.Of course I tried to keep the bike below the 100 mph's,most of the time before the problem showed LOL.
IMO the tire can carry the weight but you ask a lot from that tire, hard braking, cornering and fast accelerations yet sport tourers demand good traction in all weather conditions and good mileage from their tires. These actions all take a toll on the tires. It has been documented that rider that use the front brake more will wear out a front tire faster. There are riders on this site that wear out the edges of the tire before the center. I just took off a Continental with 4k on it that has a lot of edge wear and cupping. The tire I replaced it with one that has almost 5k and is showing very little wear. All Sport Touring Tires are not made the same. . Here is an interesting read on bias vs radial tires. https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/bias-ply-vs-radial-which-one-is-best-for-you I'm curious what other bikes have you owned?

Top Bottom